ARGOS web pages have been resurrected.... enjoy

Andy G

JohnR

Re: ARGOS web pages have been resurrected.... enjoy
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2006, 12:45 pm »
Wow  :o Very nice, Andy, and you've obviously put a lot of work into it!

Andy G

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2006, 12:50 pm »
All the design work was done by a mate, Nik Fisher.  Innovative artist getting into the graphic art and web design. 
I just filled in the text.

jules

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2006, 11:11 pm »
Andy,

I've had your designs sort of floating around in my head for a while and I'm wondering how you tackle some of the construction challnges ....

To make the wave speakers, did you do a heap of building up/layering of MDF followed by a huge amount of shaping or was there some ply bending involved?

How the hell do you work out internal volumes?

You show a few other designs where laser cutting has been used. They are quite startling but I'd guess it would have to finish up being incredibly expensive.

Do you know if ply bending might be a possible approach for some designs?

jules

Andy G

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2006, 02:20 am »
That big wavy thing was done using layers of 3mm mdf and LOTS of pva glue. 
It's a dual tapered quarterwave pipe, so the volume is not necessary, only the smooth increase of the chambers from one end to the other.
You can also buy ply which is more bendable than your normal ply.. called bendable ply, but 3mm ply works well so long as you only work with gentle curves, also, you would be amazed how few layers you need to get something that is very non resonant ! There are a couple of examples of using ply in the curved speakers section.

Other volumes can be estimated using mathematical integration or slices etc..  I do have a degree with a major in pure and applied mathematics from when I was younger (1978), so its not really an issue to find some way of finding a reasonable approximation.

Also understand that those laser cut things are not mine, they are pics donated by others to show examples.
Anything noted as ARGOS is mine though. 

Andy G

and by the way....
« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2006, 06:10 am »
John from Aranmar Acoustics (old Acoustic Concepts) is getting in some of those Hemp brand drivers.. should be interesting if not too expensive.

I won't make jokes about "smokey" sound or hippy music though.. been done to death !!!  :nono: