REW

DannyBadorine

Re: REW
« Reply #180 on: 22 Nov 2021, 02:46 am »
Both sides top
Left middle
Rt. bottom

I tightened up my triangle.

A bit less energy down low would be good?

This is clearly much better.  The big mode at 350Hz is ugly, but that must be a room thing and would need a lot of sound treatment.
The only other problem I see is that the subs on the left and right are still not the same.  Are you positive that the sub amplifier settings are equal?  There is a 10db difference at 30Hz and a 5db difference at 75Hz (but the opposite way).  It seems like there is something wrong there. Otherwise, I bet you have a pretty good sounding room at this point.

mkane

« Reply #181 on: 22 Nov 2021, 03:33 pm »
 Sub settings are the same. Our room is surely very difficult to tame Big and open. Basically no wall on one side that's open to the kitchen area. Half the ceiling is 9' and the other 25' tall.

Should I twist some knobs on the subs to try and get them to match? I'll move some furniture around next time and see if I can tame 350Hz. None of the acoustic panels were in place. I have three and there 2x3'x2" thick.

It sounds good though and am somewhat surprised moving the speakers a bit flattened the high end. Speakers are 6' from the front wall 8' apart.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #182 on: 22 Nov 2021, 04:14 pm »
Sub settings are the same. Our room is surely very difficult to tame Big and open. Basically no wall on one side that's open to the kitchen area. Half the ceiling is 9' and the other 25' tall.

Should I twist some knobs on the subs to try and get them to match? I'll move some furniture around next time and see if I can tame 350Hz. None of the acoustic panels were in place. I have three and there 2x3'x2" thick.

It sounds good though and am somewhat surprised moving the speakers a bit flattened the high end. Speakers are 6' from the front wall 8' apart.

Ok, that makes sense.  I bet the reading for the speaker near the open wall/kitchen area is the one with less bass since there are less reflections.  I wouldn't change any knobs then.  If the amps are the same then we're just seeing room stuff and I would leave it alone because it is summing well.

It's good to sit where the tweeters are directed straight at you.  If you look at the horizontal off-axis  frequency responses on most speakers you will start to see them change at some point.  Then, if you sit in a spot where you get hit by both of them off-axis you have more problems.  Additionally, if the speakers are  hitting you at slightly different distances then certain frequencies will be out of phase with each other (which is what we saw on an earlier graph).  If you want to experiment.  Move your mic around in the room (up, down, left or right).  Then measure in those places and you will see the problems I'm describing.  You can also hear it.  Walk around the room while music is playing.  Where is the bass louder?  When do you lose the shimmer on the cymbals?  When does the kick drum punch more?  You hear the phase as you move.  It sounds like a phaser or flanger guitar effects pedal on everything.  This is unavoidable, but fun to observe.

As for the 350Hz problem.  I'm guessing that this is actually a floor reflection given that the waveform for that frequency is a little bit over 3' long and your speakers are 6' from any wall.  I'm guessing that the mid range drivers are around 3' from the floor.  Some good rugs under the speakers and/or in the distance between them and you or behind them on the floor might really help.  Even knocking it down a few db would change it.  Otherwise, don't sweat it if you like how everything sounds.  All rooms have problems.  There are other options like adding some DSP to fix that spot or even integrating a passive circuit into the speakers to reduce it.

mkane

« Reply #183 on: 22 Nov 2021, 05:17 pm »
 I like the passive idea. I gave away both of the DSP units I had. Mid rangers are 3' up.

There's already a rug between the speakers and the listening position. I can place a few behind the speakers. Speakers get pulled out flush and in with the and in when music is playing.

Like this. The table gets moved.

mkane

« Reply #184 on: 22 Nov 2021, 07:57 pm »
 My calcs say I need a pair of .oo187uf caps. Input imp. is 242kohms.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #185 on: 23 Nov 2021, 06:20 am »

I might be wrong about the floor reflection.  It could be coming from any of the other walls.  Your best bet is to treat the closest walls with some panels, even if it is temporary and then take measurements.  Another possibility is that it is a reflection off of the subs.  Get those top speakers closer to the front of the subs.  Then maybe move them all of the way to the inside of the subs.  You can move the subs further out to compensate.  This is just a guess but it's worth a shot.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #186 on: 23 Nov 2021, 06:28 am »
My calcs say I need a pair of .oo187uf caps. Input imp. is 242kohms.

I think you're calculating a high pass filter at that frequency.  That's not what you want.  You want a parallel notch filter. I calculate that it's a 600uF cap, 15mH inductor and 2.65ohm resistor in parallel with the mid frequency drivers.  This is a massive circuit.  I don't know how well it would operate along with the crossover already in the speaker.  It could cause other parts of the crossover to act incorrectly.  I think those speakers are GR research speakers, which means that the crossover is well designed and thought out so adding more components to it could cause problems in other ways and might not solve the issue.  I would consult with Danny Richie on this to see what he says if that's the direction that you want to go.  I would definitely try sound treatment first.