All Analog Record Playing System Room With Bar

DannyBadorine

All Analog Record Playing System Room With Bar
« on: 4 Aug 2021, 09:42 pm »
I am currently constructing an all analog system to play records and drink from my humble, but still nice Whiskey collection.  Beer drinking is also allowed.  Let's talk mid-level budget.  I'm building my speakers but will be buying the turntable and amplifier.  I will consider a separate preamp though I don't know if that's necessary.  Also, I love tubes.  Tube pre and Class A solid state power amp?  Tell me ab out your favorite gear.  Again, I'm not spending $100k on this, but $5k-$10k total (this doesn't include the speakers.)

Also, if you're so inclined, you could suggest your favorite whiskey, scotch or bourbon to include in my collection to accompany this set up.
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2021, 12:18 am by DannyBadorine »

WGH

Re: All Analog Record Playing System Room With Bar
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2021, 10:25 pm »
This system will sound like a million bucks and kick ass:

Hagerman Audio Labs Cornet3 -$489.00
https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/phono-preamps

Van Alstine Set 120 Control Amplifer - $1199.99
https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/set-120-control-amplifier
I have heard good things about the AVA phono section but tubes with phono are the bees knees.

2 pr Hapa Breathe C interconnects - $798 (gulp)
https://hapaaudio.com/analog-cables/

Total $2486.00

That will leave you with $2514.00 - $7514.00 for turntable and cartridge.

I have a Hagerman Cornet2, AVA Set 400 and Hapa Quiescence interconnects, the big brothers of the above equipment so I know from experience that the sound quality will punch way above comparable choices.

sebrof

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2021, 10:33 pm »
I think it is difficult to suggest an amplifier without any information/description of the speakers, room size, etc.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2021, 12:13 am »

Hagerman Audio Labs Cornet3 -$489.00
https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/phono-preamps

Van Alstine Set 120 Control Amplifer - $1199.99
https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/set-120-control-amplifier
I have heard good things about the AVA phono section but tubes with phono are the bees knees.

Total $2486.00

That will leave you with $2514.00 - $7514.00 for turntable and cartridge.

I have a Hagerman Cornet2, AVA Set 400 and Hapa Quiescence interconnects, the big brothers of the above equipment so I know from experience that the sound quality will punch way above comparable choices.

I love it.  I will give this stuff a look over.  Thank you for your suggestion!

DannyBadorine

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2021, 12:17 am »
I think it is difficult to suggest an amplifier without any information/description of the speakers, room size, etc.

Good question.  Well, I don't even have the room yet since we haven't purchased the house but it will likely be a living room size situation.  I'm guessing 18x20 or something like that. 
The speakers are a custom build I'm working on that are based off of GR research's X Statik's.  Instead of being open back, my speakers will be closed back and have a GB Planar tweeter and one mid range driver.  I will be designing the passive crossover for them.  But for discussions sake, let's just say I was using the X Statik as it will be a somewhat similar situation.  I will likely add a servo sub at some point.  It doesn't need to be 110db loud, but I would like it to have plenty of power so I'm not pushing anything to it's limit.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2021, 02:03 am »
It doesn't need to be 110db loud...

Mmmmm dude, yes it does. IT'S A BAR!

DannyBadorine

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2021, 02:46 am »
Mmmmm dude, yes it does. IT'S A BAR!

Hahahahaha! Fair enough

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2021, 04:35 am »

I'd recommend one pair of Breathe C cables, but for the turntable to phono stage you will definitely want the Quiescence C shielded cables. I tried a double Breathe C set, but it picked up too much hum. QC cable for phono stage is where it's at. :thumb: Just give it A LOT of break-in time elsewhere in your system before putting it in place.

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2021, 08:36 pm »
For phono stage take a look at Tavish Vintage 6SL7 Phono Stage.

Handles both MM and MC, sounds great, and is flexible with respect to gain and loading.
Separate inputs for MM and MC so you can run 2 arms / carts into it.
Handmade in USA and sold direct to keep it reasonable.
New price is $800 with the better tubes.  I bought mine used for about $500.
It is dead quiet, reliable and musical.

https://tavishdesign.com/collections/frontpage/products/vintage-6sl7-phono-stage?variant=13698680262

If you wanna step up in price / quality, I hear the Adagio is excellent:

https://tavishdesign.com/products/adagio-vacuum-tube-phono-stage-mm-mc

https://tavishdesign.com/pages/reviews-and-testimonials
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2021, 09:48 pm by sunnydaze »

Chewbacca

« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2021, 09:02 pm »
I was just in the market for a new phono stage. I was looking into the Tavish mentioned earlier; unfortunately they've been sold out for a bit, and you don't see many of them on the used market.

Also was looking into the MP-P2 MM MC phono. Looks like a solid build, with good reviews.

Was also looking into the Odyssey Suspiro... I'm a fan of everything Odyssey I've heard.

Really wanted to find a Dodd phono... but have fun trying.

Also looked into different options from Sutherland Engineering... Usually for pre-amplification I prefer tubes... But man, these are some clean looking layouts, with really good reviews. May warrant a look!

I ended up getting the phono I had my heart set on since 2012-2013, but was never able to find on the used market at the right time. Thanks to Carlman here on AC he sold me his EE Minimax phono stage. Couldn't be happier!

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 5 Aug 2021, 09:15 pm »
I was just in the market for a new phono stage. I was looking into the Tavish mentioned earlier; unfortunately they've been sold out for a bit, and you don't see many of them on the used market.

Keep watching, about half dozen show up used every year:

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=tavish+phono+stage

(click on "sold/expired")

twitch54

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2021, 01:29 am »
Ahhhh whisky, so many good ones to choose from. Can't go wrong with Oban or Glenfarclas.

As for TT, Technics 1200G or Rega 10 and call it a day !

DannyBadorine

« Reply #12 on: 6 Aug 2021, 02:56 am »
Ahhhh whisky, so many good ones to choose from. Can't go wrong with Oban or Glenfarclas.

As for TT, Technics 1200G or Rega 10 and call it a day !

My wife loves the Oban and we recently finished our bottle of Glenfarclas 25.  Good choices.  I will definitely trust your word on turntables.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2021, 05:48 am »
Two other phono stages to consider are from Lounge Audio and PS Audio

The Lounge Audio LCR-MKIII is a very good phono stage for MM or HOMC. While the standard version is very good, the Gold version is much better. If you use a LOMC cart you would need to add the Copla step up amplifier, as long as the loading options work for your cart..

PS Audio has the Stellar phono pre. This is an exceptional phono pre that will work with any cart.

Fuse

« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2021, 04:43 am »
Talisker and Lagavulin! Haven't bought a bottle of either in the longest time, ever since they hit three figures in Canuckistan...

The Chinese clones of the famous EAR 834 phono preamp are quite good - and cost about three bottles of Lagavulin. Mine is made by Zero Zone.

Why not go all tube? Nothing like the glow of a power amp's tubes to match the glow on your cheeks from drinking a nice single malt.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #15 on: 7 Oct 2021, 03:50 pm »
Talisker and Lagavulin! Haven't bought a bottle of either in the longest time, ever since they hit three figures in Canuckistan...

The Chinese clones of the famous EAR 834 phono preamp are quite good - and cost about three bottles of Lagavulin. Mine is made by Zero Zone.

Why not go all tube? Nothing like the glow of a power amp's tubes to match the glow on your cheeks from drinking a nice single malt.

I would like to have some tubes in there and I might go in that direction.  Still haven't decided.  Have you tried the Royal Brackla 21 Single Malt??  I have found it for much cheaper in the airport duty free section.  Smoothest scotch I've ever had.

/mp

« Reply #16 on: 7 Oct 2021, 05:21 pm »
I am currently constructing an all analog system to play records and drink from my humble, but still nice Whiskey collection.... $5k-$10k total (this doesn't include the speakers.)

Also...suggest your favorite whiskey, scotch or bourbon to include in my collection to accompany this set up.

Spending other people's money--a pleasant distraction. ;|

+1.
IME, everything makes a difference. A trained ear can hear the difference between two otherwise identical speaker cables differing only in length. That said & broadly speaking, the differences created by room acoustics & between mechanical/electrical converters (i.e. phono cartridges & speakers) are more substantial than the differences between other components & sub-components. 
Other pertinent questions include:
   Your listening preferences. What kind of music do you like most as well as what music reproduction characteristics do you like most?
      Sometimes these goals are mutually exclusive; sometimes they're not. How tweaked towards the ends of these axes do you wish to go?
   Is this to be a long term stable environment or will you have ongoing upgraditis? If the former, I suggest a holistic approach rather than focusing on individual (sub)components. If the later, keep swapping out bits over time as you shape the sound toward your goals.
   New or used? It goes without saying one's money goes farther buying used equipment. How comfortable one is buying used is a personal choice. Furthermore, it isn't boolean. One's comfort level with buying e.g. an almost new record cleaning machine is not necessarily the same as e.g. a well worn mc cartridge or vintage vacuum tubes.

The best advice I can offer is there's no substitute for first hand experience. Listen to as much stuff as one can at dealers, trade shows, audio society meeting, homes of friends of friends, etc. The best starting place is each individual discovering what works best for themselves.  What I have or most inspires drooling fantasies is not necessarily the same as another individual preferences. 

You don't need a preamp if this is a 1x phono only system. All that is needed is a phono stage with variable output. Save a few bucks where one can.

...we recently finished our bottle of Glenfarclas 25.

Glenfarclas is an underappreciated distillery. How are the current models casked? The 25 yo oloroso casked Glenfarclas I enjoyed a long time ago  was very, very nice. A square bottle Glenfarclas 17 was one of my all time favorites.

As with hi-fi equipment, whisk(e)y preferences are personal & dependent on the environment. My choice for a sipping whisky while lounging on hot summer day is unlikely to be the same as after a cold winter's day brisk walk or an after dinner drink in any season. A super smoky Longrow, vigorous Thomas Handy, flowery Ancient Age or heathery Highland Park are all equally valid choices. If one expands one horizons from whisky to brown liquors, old rums are comparatively inexpensive &  just as charming. Useful specific recommendations need more input as to your preferences. 

Have you tried the Royal Brackla 21 Single Malt?.... Smoothest scotch I've ever had.

Not available in the US last time I checked. My only Royal Brackla is a Gordon & Macphail bottling hand carried through customs. Haven't sampled it in years. My recollection was creamy with more distillery, less cask character. I'm prompted to recover it from the back benches for a swig.

Hope this helps more than it muddies the waters,
/mp 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2021, 06:40 pm »
Now the waters are really muddy!
First and most importantly, you can find Royal Brackla 21 in the US in some places.  I've been lucky in regards to that!
I plan on using some treatment in my room.  I am a live audio engineer by trade so I would like to think that I have decent ears, but getting into home hifi stuff is relatively recent for me so I'm mostly just interested in people's different perspectives on what they like.  It gives me gear to look up and read about in my down time.
The speakers will be something that I'm making myself but similar to GR Research X Statik's.  Mine will not be open baffle and they will have a Bohlender Graebener Planar tweeter.  I have been working on them with some help from GR and Norman Tracy. 
I'm leaning towards a tube amplifier or preamplifier.  I will definitely change out components because that is part of the fun!  Thanks for all of the input on this.  It has lead to some fun rabbit holes to read about gear.

tinkerphile

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2021, 06:36 pm »
I only just now saw your post while I was looking for another thread.  Are you still interested in an all analog system for your bar?  I've been doing all analog for about 45 years now, and have access to all sorts of gear and many years of experience.  I'm not trying to sell gear, as I can do that anywhere, since vintage and modern stuff is in high demand and sites for that abound (e.g., US Audio Mart, etc.).  Just trying to help out.  Apart from the loudspeakers, as you said, you can put together a really nice system for about $2500.  With nice amp, maybe    I mean very, very nice - - and classic looking for sure, if you want a cool vibe in the bar.   Let me know if you need recommendations or gear; be glad to help.   Haha - I wish I had the room to do something like you are doing with the whole analog/bar thing.  So cool.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2021, 10:12 pm »
I only just now saw your post while I was looking for another thread.  Are you still interested in an all analog system for your bar?  I've been doing all analog for about 45 years now, and have access to all sorts of gear and many years of experience.  I'm not trying to sell gear, as I can do that anywhere, since vintage and modern stuff is in high demand and sites for that abound (e.g., US Audio Mart, etc.).  Just trying to help out.  Apart from the loudspeakers, as you said, you can put together a really nice system for about $2500.  With nice amp, maybe    I mean very, very nice - - and classic looking for sure, if you want a cool vibe in the bar.   Let me know if you need recommendations or gear; be glad to help.   Haha - I wish I had the room to do something like you are doing with the whole analog/bar thing.  So cool.

I appreciate the offer.  I have most of it worked out now but if that changes I can let you know.