Big news

threadkiller

Big news
« on: 30 Dec 2015, 05:04 am »
Stay tuned for press coverage of 2016's CES. Big news, BIG BIG!
( and that's what she said)

G E

Re: Big news
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2015, 05:47 am »
Bryston is also introducing their latest  amp series, the Cubed series, at CES.

Exciting times!
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2016, 11:23 pm by G E »

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2015, 10:52 am »
Stay tuned for press coverage of 2016's CES. Big news, BIG BIG!
( and that's what she said)

My kinda gal!

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2015, 09:17 pm »
Lol@Rob
I was being silly. That cat's been out for a while now. Although it will be the official launch of the Royale 400, along with a few new WTL goodies. The Royale is truly something. The only slight drawback for some, besides the price, is it does take a solid platform due to its size and weight. No wall shelf could hold it. Other than that it's a joy to use and listen to. The arm feels great in your fingers. Easy to cue. It has a knob on back for speed control- far easier than the internal screw of the others. Adjustable feet. So for $12,500, I think the matching stand is 3200 or 3500?, it's a remarkable reference table. Happy New Year indeed!

rob400

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2015, 10:59 pm »
Good price Chaz. In line with UK so all credit to Mike and co...

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2016, 04:34 pm »
There was a blurb of the "Well Tempered Royale 400" within PC world...omg outside of turntable enthusiast  circles.  So has anyone heard there favorite record on it yet.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3020410/home-audio/these-exotic-turntables-will-have-vinylphiles-drooling.html#slide4

"
Well Tempered Royale 400

Well Tempered’s turntables are minimalist without appearing overly modern, and the impressively-sized Royale 400 is no exception. There are a few things that are unique about this turntable, including its belt, which is made of 0.004-inch polyester filament, used because of its exceptional uniformity in width. The Royale 400 also has a long (400mm, hence the name) patented tonearm made of soft aluminum filled with sand (this soft material makes it completely non-resonant).

The end of the tonearm is not connected to the table with a bearing, but features a special design that incorporates a golf ball suspended in viscous oil for additional damping. The Royale 400 is available now and costs $12,500."

rob400

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2016, 05:50 pm »
Thanks for sharing. Nice pic. Has anyone bought one yet, other than Chaz?

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2016, 03:29 pm »
 Chaz if you are reading please describe any perceived differences.  I do know that the longer arm means a reduced tracking error angle so more of the inner grove should should better but other than that what other benefits have you noticed within the new design.

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2016, 05:45 pm »
Here goes:
In a nutshell, it's basically an Amadeus turned into your dream table. It's expressive like the Amadeus, only more so, I'm guessing from the 16" (400mm) arm. It has all the weight and slam and low end of big tables, so those that find the Amadeus a tad lighter than the monster tables will finally be satisfied.
The arm is a joy to use. The Simplex was shite to use, like trying to use chopsticks for the first time. The Amadeus has a natural feel once you use it, and the Royale arm becomes a part of you, oddly easier to cue.

It does take up a bit of space. It generally requires two people to move it. The additional rack is quite nice, and really really sounds nice, although you can put the table on other things. It seems to like solid foundations to sound best, no wimpy racks.

It does have a knob for speed control, which I hope they someday incorporate in the Amadeus. No more fiddling to adjust speed.
So that's pretty much it. I love the thing.
Also, it seems to like its own stock mat! Go figure. And, it has adjustable feet.
While I'm babbling, I'll conclude with something I've thought for years- Bill Firebaugh is a genius.

watercourse

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2016, 06:03 pm »
Threadkiller: typically the longer the arm, the slower the sound. Or so the saying goes. Any thoughts on this during your listening time? Thx!

Also, it should be like a motorcycle: If you can't pick it up on your own, you're not worthy. ;-)

PS Not that I can afford it, but of course inquiring minds want to know.

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2016, 06:40 pm »
Well, not sure about all that. It seems to have more snap and vitality than the Amadeus, it certainly does not sound slow. If anything it digs in, that kind of sound that just grabs you as closer to the real, I guess you'll just have to hear it. If you ever wonder whether you got any soul, buy the Al Green LP of Lay It Down. Hard record to get the humps going. We fell out of our chairs on this one. Play the newer Analogue Productions RCA of The Comedians. Like 220 going through you.

Once you hear it, you'll know.

I try to top off between 60-80 lbs for gear on my own. I've seen and heard too many horror stories. It's not worth it.

$12,500 for the table. Worth every penny. Of course it's not for everyone. Expensive reference tables unfortunately aren't meant to be. Yet you should try to hear one, to know how shitty many out there are, how they rob or do things to the music that isn't true. The worst hobbyist to me is one who has the money yet won't spend it. Might as well crawl in the box and give it up altogether. :)

Happy listening, gentlemen and maybe a lady or two..I bid you good day!

Erocka2000

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2016, 02:22 pm »
They should make a Royale 300 that has a smaller version of the plinth with a 12" version of the tonearm. Price it around $6,500/7,000.  Also, speed change on the fly would be nice.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2016, 02:45 pm »
If you guys want to see, hear & "touch" the Royale 400, please come to AXPONA in Chicago, April 15-17, 2016.

We (Volti Audio, BorderPatrol Audio, Triode Wire Labs, Well Tempered & Dynavector) will be in the very large Dearborn room at the show!

Should be phenomenal!

Cheers,
Pete

newvinyl

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2016, 10:53 pm »
Horns and tubes and reasonably priced cables and a new turntable.
Looking forward to it!