Free: my old line arrays

zobsky

• Fringe Lunatic - Dallas, Tx
    • My Audio Blog
Free: my old line arrays
« on: 16 Jul 2007, 01:59 am »
I built these half a year ago for the princely sum of $30 (using some nasty sounding 3" 45 ohm radio speakers) !! The cabinet was designed as a corner loaded top - firing straight transmission line (that occupies virtually no space in a room) stuffed with some spare polyfill I had lying around. Fs of the drivers is about 300Hz, though the line itself can support a lower frequenct. The cabinets are a little over 5 ft tall each.

The speakers themselves don't sound great (imaging gets messed up because of no tweeter, no bass below 150-200Hz), but they don't sound bad either, especially considering how awful the individual drive units sound. All the usual benefits of line arrays, .. dynamics, can rock if crossed over high enough, around 95dB efficient at 8 ohm, good for annoying neighbors or family alike.

These would benefit from a tweeter unit crossed in around 6KHz or so. A better idea would be to use better drivers (3") and a tweeter. The cutouts are already in the (removable) front baffle, saving anyone a boatload of work. In short, a good experimental platform. Could work well as budget home theater LR channels, with a tweeter. I also have quite a few more unused drivers, if anyone wants them

Pickup in Plano (Dallas), Tx this week or they will regrettably walk to the dumpster   :bawl: