Maelstrom-21" Coming out of the oven!

Kevin Haskins

Maelstrom-21" Coming out of the oven!
« on: 12 Aug 2009, 04:15 am »
Finally getting these out of production.   These things are BEAST!   A full 21" of subwoofer love with the Maelstrom-X motor giving 66mm peak-peak excursion.    I have some 21" passive radiators and I'm going to build what should be one of the world's most capable subwoofers.    aa

Craig Treusdell

Re: Maelstrom-21" Coming out of the oven!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2009, 02:38 pm »
Those small people... putting the subs together...
I knew the Oompa-Loompas were real!

I only wish I could afford 8 of those monsters  :cry:

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2009, 02:54 pm »
Wow, looking good Kevin.  If this doesn't satisfy the "more is better" crowd nothing will.  :)

A couple of these in an attic IB seems interesting...

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2009, 04:29 pm »
Wow, looking good Kevin.  If this doesn't satisfy the "more is better" crowd nothing will.  :)

They are already asking for more believe it or not.    :duh:

The parameters are pretty usable too.    I'm going to build some 8 cubic foot passive radiator builds.    Big... but not totally off the farm.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2009, 04:32 pm »
Those small people... putting the subs together...
I knew the Oompa-Loompas were real!

I only wish I could afford 8 of those monsters  :cry:

You better be careful Craig, that is a racial slur.    :lol:    I have two kids from Africa, one from Central America (Indian), one nephew from China and another the old fashion way (he is a WASP).   

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2009, 02:32 am »

The parameters are pretty usable too.    I'm going to build some 8 cubic foot passive radiator builds.    Big... but not totally off the farm.
estimated price & specs for these?  my present subs are ~8cuft...  hmmm...   8)

doug s.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2009, 03:59 am »

estimated price & specs for these?  my present subs are ~8cuft...  hmmm...   8)

doug s.

Price is going to be $595 for the driver.   I have LMS specs but I like to measure all my products with the same method so my T/S parameters are consistent.     That requires that I actually have the production run in house.    They don't vary that much but I've found that it is a bad idea to release a pre-production set of numbers and then update them when I get actual measurements from a sample of 4-5 drivers from the production run.     Some people get nervous about changing parameters while it is nothing more than changes due to the way they are measured.   

Eight cubic feet is good though for either sealed or I have a small production run of passive radiators.   My target box size was 8-10 cubic feet for the resonant builds.   You can use a port, but they get incredibly large for this type of driver.    You can overload even a 8"-10" port with this thing at full-tilt so the passive radiators make a lot of sense for people who need to maximize the output in a given volume of space.   

Personally, if it was me, I'd just build them sealed.     Easy, cheap and you get plenty of output with this kind of driver no matter what you do with it.   

TerryO

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2009, 08:53 am »
Kevin,
I think I'd use those in a sealed cabinet as well. They should go low enough that room gain will take care of anything that "might" be missing!

I believe I know of a group that needs to hear them when you get the shipment and have some cabinets, maybe used along with a pair of your speakers.

Best Regards,
TerryO

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2009, 02:11 pm »
Kevin, It's really awesome to see your creative ideas coming to life in metal. You are really DOING IT! And the new machine tools promise much more to come. Kudos for living your dream and inspiring others. Well, me at least....  :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2009, 02:17 pm »
Price is going to be $595 for the driver.   I have LMS specs but I like to measure all my products with the same method so my T/S parameters are consistent.     That requires that I actually have the production run in house.    They don't vary that much but I've found that it is a bad idea to release a pre-production set of numbers and then update them when I get actual measurements from a sample of 4-5 drivers from the production run.     Some people get nervous about changing parameters while it is nothing more than changes due to the way they are measured.   

Eight cubic feet is good though for either sealed or I have a small production run of passive radiators.   My target box size was 8-10 cubic feet for the resonant builds.   You can use a port, but they get incredibly large for this type of driver.    You can overload even a 8"-10" port with this thing at full-tilt so the passive radiators make a lot of sense for people who need to maximize the output in a given volume of space.   

Personally, if it was me, I'd just build them sealed.     Easy, cheap and you get plenty of output with this kind of driver no matter what you do with it.
i would want to use either sealed or passive.  my present subs have a slot-loaded passive; works quite well.  building my own, sealed would certainly be easier than building a passive, slot-loaded or otherwise.  still , spec differences will be nice, when you have them.

thanks,

doug s.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2009, 04:34 pm »
Kevin, It's really awesome to see your creative ideas coming to life in metal. You are really DOING IT! And the new machine tools promise much more to come. Kudos for living your dream and inspiring others. Well, me at least....  :thumb:

I don't know if dream is the appropriate term.    Looking back over the financial numbers from the last couple years nightmare is probably more accurate.    :lol:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2009, 04:35 pm »
Kevin,
I think I'd use those in a sealed cabinet as well. They should go low enough that room gain will take care of anything that "might" be missing!

I believe I know of a group that needs to hear them when you get the shipment and have some cabinets, maybe used along with a pair of your speakers.

Best Regards,
TerryO

If you come over and help me load it in the truck, I'll bring it Terry.   :wink:

TerryO

« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2009, 04:43 pm »
Kevin,

Best Regards,
TerryO

If you come over and help me load it in the truck, I'll bring it Terry.   :wink:

OK, you get in the back of the truck and I'll slide it in with the Forklift, just give a holler if I've pushed it in too far.
 :duh:

Best Regards,
TerryO

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 13 Aug 2009, 04:49 pm »
Kevin,

Best Regards,
TerryO

OK, you get in the back of the truck and I'll slide it in with the Forklift, just give a holler if I've pushed it in too far.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'm not sure I'd trust you on it Terry.   It isn't a Subaru.     It is kind of like a Stealth Fighter with a joystick that basically controls everything.    It is really cool once you get it figured out but very dangerous when you first get on the thing.   

TerryO

« Reply #14 on: 13 Aug 2009, 05:07 pm »
Kevin,

Best Regards,
TerryO

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'm not sure I'd trust you on it Terry.   It isn't a Subaru.     It is kind of like a Stealth Fighter with a joystick that basically controls everything.    It is really cool once you get it figured out but very dangerous when you first get on the thing.

I'm fully qualified on forklifts and have been for years, I can even show you my card.

Stealth Fighter is it?

Well, with our military background and training it's obvious that I, as a former member of the Air Force should be at the controls, while you as a former Airborne Ranger have the training to jump out of the way!

Now get up into that truck, Ranger!

Best Regards,
Terry "The Operator" Olson

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #15 on: 13 Aug 2009, 05:16 pm »
Wow! That's HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. Makes my XJ-12's look small.

So two of these, each in a 8 cubic foot sealed enclosure in a home theater 15 feet wide, 24 feet deep with 8-10 foot ceilings crossed over at 50Hz should do it. All blasts go directly to this woofer :thumb:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Anand.

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2009, 10:33 pm »
Kevin was a Ranger?  No wonder I like him.  :)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2009, 12:06 am »

I'm a fat out of shape one now.   My knees hurt and ache going up the stairs at night and coming down in the morning.   In other words, I'm paying for my youthful exuberance.    I can only imagine how some of these professional athletes are after 15 years of playing in the NFL, numerous surgeries and injuries.   

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2009, 11:53 pm »

I guess that is why I purchased the Mal-X after speaking with him on the phone!  Said he was ex-military, never said he was a Ranger.  Kevin, I will be at Bragg next week - will be spending some time with next gen Rangers (75th Ranger Regiment).  I guess Kevin is used to "leading the way."

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2009, 12:47 am »

I guess that is why I purchased the Mal-X after speaking with him on the phone!  Said he was ex-military, never said he was a Ranger.  Kevin, I will be at Bragg next week - will be spending some time with next gen Rangers (75th Ranger Regiment).  I guess Kevin is used to "leading the way."

I was in 1st/75th in Savannah Georgia (HAAF) until they kicked me out.    It is kind of embarrassing but I was young and crazy and got kicked out for an incident involving the local police and alcohol.   It was one of the dumbest things I've ever done and one of the few regrets I have in life.    I loved being in the Ranger Battalion even with all the pain, suffering and misery.   

I got booted into the 3rd/7th Infantry and within two weeks was deployed to Operation Desert Storm.   I guess my punishment for foolishness was getting sent to the Gulf for a year.   

I had one jump into Bragg.   I couldn't get my chute collapsed and the wind drug me several hundred yards through the sand right up the the chute collection point.   It worked out pretty good actually because typically you have to gather up your chute, pack, weapon etc.. and run to the collection point which can be up to a mile away.     I got a free ride by the wind.   

It was cold as hell, must have been winter because it rained all week and was just above freezing.   I remember unashamedly huddling with a bunch of smelly guys to keep from going into hypothermia.