How to properly balance channel

Wig

How to properly balance channel
« on: 19 May 2010, 04:40 am »

I've been listening to a 10+ year on XLO set-up disk and the disk mention, move the speaker that has an apparent source further back. Well, I could end up having one speaker 5-6" further than the other and thought this may be odd. Is there a better solution in getting both speakers balanced?

Thanks again for your help in this matter

Thanks,
 Wig

Mr Peabody

Re: How to properly balance channel
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2010, 04:03 am »
Are you asking for stereo or home theater?  Either way I'd keep the speakers an even distance from your listening position, an even plain.  If home theater your receiver should have "delay" settings to compensate for any distance abnormality.  The best way to balance is with a SPL meter.  You may have to get a disc with pink noise for stereo.  Depending on the type of balance control, stereo could get tricky.  I find that in most recordings the vocals are not perfectly centered any way.  For stereo I just use my ears.  If it's too difficult in the room try headphones.  Unless something in the system chain has a problem I've never known balance to be an issue.

Wig

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2010, 04:57 am »
Its for a stereo set-up. Where can I buy a SPL meter? (Radio Shack) My XLO disk does have a one minute pink noise track.

Thanks,
 Wig

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2010, 05:03 am »
Its for a stereo set-up. Where can I buy a SPL meter? (Radio Shack) My XLO disk does have a one minute pink noise track.

Thanks,
 Wig

Yep.... http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=sound-level%20meter&origkw=Sound-Level%20Meter&sr=1

Wig

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2010, 03:13 pm »
 Can you give me some details on how to use it? I guessing I'll set it up at my listening position and move the balance to one side and compare it to the other and average them maybe?

Thanks,
 Wig :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2010, 03:21 pm »
Radio Shack's SPL meter is fine, but an SPL meter is not needed for balance, just for overall output (like channel balancing multichannel or capturing frequency response anomalies like room modes or nulls).  For left/right channel balance simply use a mono signal, with correct polarity, and make sure the sound is coming from dead center.  If not, your room, speaker or source could be the problem (mostly room issues if speakers are equidistant).  So, try:
* toe in one speaker slightly, especially if one speaker is closer to a wall structure than the other speaker
* use balance control on preamp to shift image (easiest fix but doesn't address real problem...but who cares  :)  )
* move some things around in room and try again

Wig

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2010, 04:19 pm »
I don't think the room is an issue, well damped with curtains and acoustic treatment. My speakers are 7' apart, 4.5' from side walls and 4' from back wall with my listening position 9' away. I'll spend more time tonight playing a mono source and adjusting the balance to get it perfect. Thanks for the help!

Wig :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2010, 05:16 pm »
I don't think the room is an issue, well damped with curtains and acoustic treatment. My speakers are 7' apart, 4.5' from side walls and 4' from back wall with my listening position 9' away. I'll spend more time tonight playing a mono source and adjusting the balance to get it perfect. Thanks for the help!

Wig :thumb:

Cool.  If your setup is same as gallery pic (nice) then throw a blanket over the tv monitor for a second and see what that does to balance. 

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2010, 05:34 pm »
Get a Y cable and connect the single end to one channel of your CD player, the other 2 ends to the left and right of the CD input. In this configuration, you now have a mono signal feeding both channels.

Now play a CD and listen for balance (with eyes closed) and try to point out the spot where the music from both channels seems to blend.

Speakers should be set equal distance/angle from side and back walls, prior to doing this, balance control centered.

Wayner  :D

Wig

« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2010, 08:34 pm »
 Thanks for the wonderful information! I listen with a quilt drapped over the TV, I'll try the Y cord and a test disk that has a mono track on it to see if there is any difference before balancing the channels.

Wig :green: