Guitars and G-Strings

pjchappy

Guitars and G-Strings
« on: 18 May 2010, 11:36 pm »
Anybody else have a bit of problem with their G-string on their electric guitar?  I can never get mine to sound perfect.  Close. . .but not perfect.  I read a long time ago it has to do with intonation issues, due to the fact of it's gauge.  It works out fine for an acoustic guitar because that has a wound G-string. 

I have experimented with a wound G-string in the past, but I had to buy individual strings to do so.  That seemed to work best.  I have also tried different gauges of individual unwound strings, but that didn't work out.

Anyone with similar issues?  I've noticed this on several guitars.

Paul

Audioclyde

Re: Guitars and G-Strings
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2010, 11:39 pm »
Darn Paul, you're subject line for this thread had me all eager to check it out  :oops:!

pjchappy

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2010, 11:40 pm »
I should go into marketing. :lol:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2010, 11:49 pm »
Hope this doesn't stir the pot but...

have you cryo'd your guitar strings?  IF not, try it...

pjchappy

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2010, 11:55 pm »
No I have not.  Regardless, what I am referring to is apparently an inherent problem with your typical guitar (mathematically speaking. . .worse with an unwound string).  So, I don't see how cryoed strings would fix that.

Paul

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2010, 11:59 pm »
No I have not.  Regardless, what I am referring to is apparently an inherent problem with your typical guitar (mathematically speaking. . .worse with an unwound string).  So, I don't see how cryoed strings would fix that.

Paul

It won't. 

pjchappy

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2010, 12:11 am »
OK. :lol:  What is your experience/opinion w/ cryoed strings?

Maybe I'll just go back to a wound G-string.  Regardless, curious what others think. . .and what they have done (if anything).

Paul

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2010, 12:26 am »
OK. :lol:  What is your experience/opinion w/ cryoed strings?

Paul

I really like them.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2010, 12:27 am »
As for the cryo'd strings.  They last much longer.  If you tend to be hard on them it's probably worth a shot IMO. 

Of course YMMV

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2010, 02:39 am »
A friend of mine, who is a terrific player and an equipment fanatic sent his guitars to a shop in Nashville that uses some sort of advanced laser guided, computer controlled device to perfectly hone and polish the frets across the fretboard.

My buddy claims it made a huge improvement in the intonation of all his guitars.

I can get the details if you are interested.

Have you ever tried a guitar that uses the Feiten tuning system? I dunno if it works but supposedly addresses some the inherent shortcomings in std guitar tuning.

pjchappy

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2010, 04:46 am »
A friend of mine, who is a terrific player and an equipment fanatic sent his guitars to a shop in Nashville that uses some sort of advanced laser guided, computer controlled device to perfectly hone and polish the frets across the fretboard.

My buddy claims it made a huge improvement in the intonation of all his guitars.

I can get the details if you are interested.

Have you ever tried a guitar that uses the Feiten tuning system? I dunno if it works but supposedly addresses some the inherent shortcomings in std guitar tuning.

Regarding the fret leveling, it's called Pleking.  There are a handful of these machines across the country.  I believe Gibson has one and does it to (most of?) their guitars now.  It's just a super accurate way of fret leveling.

I have not tried the Feiten tuning system.  I do not plan on modding my 2 Strats, either.  I did just order some wound G-strings, though.  Haven't strung my guitars up this way in about 3 years, but from what I remember, this will basically fix the problem.  It really bugs me. . .

Paul

Photon46

« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2010, 05:03 pm »
Yeah, I've found the g string is the most problematic on all my electric guitars. Whether Hamer USA, Robin, or Tokai, the g string has the most intonation problems. A wound 3rd string does help some in my experience.