Long XLR balanced cables vs Long speaker cables

almostbuff

Long XLR balanced cables vs Long speaker cables
« on: 20 Dec 2020, 07:35 pm »
I'm considering using mono amps with my Song 3A's currently on order.  I'm thinking of placing each mono amp next to the speaker with a .05 to 1 meter speaker cable run and use longer 8-10 foot XLR cables  to a Lumin D2.  I read somewhere a while back that longer (more than 3 feet) speaker cables will perform better?  If that is the case then why is it not an issue for active speakers being that the amp(s) is even closer to the drivers.  I can go either way, I just wanted to know which configuration is better.  thanks.

jjss49

Re: Long XLR balanced cables vs Long speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2020, 07:38 pm »
long xlr's better, if the circuit is truly balanced

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2020, 07:46 pm »
I'm considering using mono amps with my Song 3A's currently on order.  I'm thinking of placing each mono amp next to the speaker with a .05 to 1 meter speaker cable run and use longer 8-10 foot XLR cables  to a Lumin D2.  I read somewhere a while back that longer (more than 3 feet) speaker cables will perform better?  If that is the case then why is it not an issue for active speakers being that the amp(s) is even closer to the drivers.  I can go either way, I just wanted to know which configuration is better.  thanks.

If length is needed, XLR being the longer one to make up the distance is what's preferred.

Here is Empirical Audio's take on it: http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/audio-faqs/short-versus-long-cables

As for why minimum length is given for speaker cables...something something Naim and Zobel networks.

I also have 8 foot or more speaker cables in 2 of my passive setups out of necessity. Can't say if it'd sound better or worse, with a very short length of the same cable The others are active with internal amps, so I only have to worry about XLRs.

lokie

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2020, 09:49 pm »
FWIW... I switched from a 5M speaker cable to a 5M interconnect (shielded but not XLR) and couldn't be happier.
Works and sounds great with various preamps including a cheapo Chinese Iphone "booster" with an AUX input.