Help - Speaker Damage

Jumpin

Help - Speaker Damage
« on: 12 Aug 2014, 04:43 pm »
Courtesy of my 7 year old nephew.  He got both of my speakers.   Do any of you have recommendations? 
Should I try and pull them out and if so, how?

Regards,
Mark

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Help - Speaker Damage
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2014, 04:54 pm »
 :duh: :duh: :duh:

Yeah... kids and dust caps / dome tweeters.... they can't resist.  :evil:

You can try double sided tape, or a loop of tape... maybe check out the double sided carpet tape, it has a very strong adhesive. attach the tape to the dust cap and pull. Hopefully it will come out but yours look like they may be beyond repair.

Good Luck!

Jumpin

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2014, 05:41 pm »
Thanks Dave - I'll give that a try.

I also had a suggestion about using a vacuum cleaner.  But that scars me  :o 

yeldarb

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:13 am »
If you can't get them back without the sound being affected, consider cutting them out and adding phase plugs.  Planet 10?  Are they Fostex drivers?

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:34 am »
Gently use tape. I'd start with something that has a mild adhesive, like Scotch tape, first. Don't use a vacuum unless you can somehow control the amount of suction. Just my opinion, but you should start with the most gentle option first, then work your way up to more extreme measures if necessary.

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:34 am »
Hey!

That looks like Fostex driver. I think the paper cap is too stiff to pull it out with sticky tape. I have heard of using vacuum but that scary consider how small the drivers are.

I would say that if you can't hear any different than I wouldn't worry about it, and maybe just push them in equally on both drivers.

Yes, cut them out to add "phase plug" is another option. But without that paper cap this will change the mechanical respond of the driver and definitely changes the sound. And with phase plug installed it will again change the sound. I did this with my 6" Fostex and I like the sound with the plug installed. And most so far from what I've seen on the internet most people seem to like it with the phase plug in. You can experiment with DIY phase plug yourself.

Well, it is up to you. Yeah, I still don't understand why kids love to push speaker dome and caps in  :scratch:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:37 am »
........or send them to Millersound. They mostly specialize in larger drivers 8" +, but I'm certain they can help you out. They're one of the best, if not THE best in the biz. Great people. Their website is old and has a strange intro page, but I think most of their business is built on reputation and word of mouth. Old school service at it's best.

bregez

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2014, 09:09 am »
I like the vacuum suggestion.  I would reduce the cross section of the vacuum hose by using either a 1/4" or 3/8" soft rubber hose (any hardware store or auto parts store will have these).  Then I would use some gauze on the end  to provide a soft interface between the dust cap and the hose.  You can also further regulate the suction by plugging the vacuum into a variac. 

Brad

Jumpin

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2014, 11:51 am »
Thanks to all for your responses.  I am jammed this week but will begin the experiments  :roll: this weekend. They are Fostex, I believe 126.  They are Hornshoppe Horns.  I talked to Ed from there yesterday (he is quite a trip!)  He had lots of good suggestions.  To pull the cap out, he suggested I put a bit of super glue on my finger and touch it to the cap.. once it feel the stick, he said to gently pull it out.  And then, twist my finger off of the paper.

If this does impact the sound and I cant fix it, replacements are about $130 for the pair.

Thanks again!   

GT Audio Works

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2014, 01:23 pm »
From the look of the creases in the dust cap, I doubt a vacuum will do.
I think tape that is strong enough to do the job will not come off without tearing the paper. Same may hold true for the super glue.
Of course a little layer of torn paper as long as it doesn't open a tear is fine.
Another option may be,  a nice long hefty pin...it may take a few holes in strategic areas of the dust cap..once the holes are made bend a hook on the end of the pin and use it like a body shop uses a dent puller. Once the cap is back out, apply a light coat of glue to seal the holes and reinforce the creases created by the damage. This will not affect the sound.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2014, 10:13 pm »
If they aren't pushed in too far you can try this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planet-10-hifi/181603-fe12x-dustcap-fix.html

Otherwise time to excise the dustcap (and optionally add phase plugs).

Do check that the pushing in of the dusrcaps has not caused a crease in the actual cone.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2014, 10:16 pm »
From the look of the creases in the dust cap, I doubt a vacuum will do.

With the FE12x nothing you can do can bring back the dusrcap.

A small dent can sometimes be sorta repaired. Requires poking a small hole and levering the dent out, then some post treatment to cover up the fix.

dave

Jumpin

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2014, 07:11 pm »
Thanks again for all of your suggestions.  I went with Ed's idea to use Super Glue.  I think it did the trick!  A little glue residue, but no tearing and little to no remaining creases.