BLH Fostex FE168EZ Sigma or?

KnyazHM

BLH Fostex FE168EZ Sigma or?
« on: 27 Jun 2015, 05:19 pm »
Hi All!
Who built that listens to this BLH
http://fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/recom_enclose/168ez_enclrev.pdf
what impressions? What's not like?
May be try other drivers in this horn? (Hemp, Omega, Audax)

Thank you

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: BLH Fostex FE168EZ Sigma or?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2015, 06:19 pm »
The real McCoy is Alnico and Hemp cone, out of this I would prefer Alpair 12P in a Frugal Horn XL, not Fostex.

This plans you linked are more complex than the Frugal.
You will need a virtuose carpenter to made it right.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2015, 09:59 pm »
The real McCoy is Alnico and Hemp cone, out of this I would prefer Alpair 12P in a Frugal Horn XL, not Fostex.

This plans you linked are more complex than the Frugal.
You will need a virtuose carpenter to made it right.

I've never heard any of these, what's your impression of them ?

V....

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2015, 12:54 am »
I've not knowingly heard these factory BLH's but by reputation the Fostex company cabinet designs are noted to be more sophisticated than they appear.

Don't know how changing drivers would affect performance.

The cuts are all simple rectangles, I believe meant to make constructibility easier.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2015, 07:17 pm »
I've never heard any of these, what's your impression of them ?

V....
Unfortunately I have never listen them, but reputation of Alpair 12P and Frugal are outstanding.
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-fullrange/markaudio-alpair-12p-8-paper-cone-full-range/

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/246248-frugel-horn-xl-alpair-10-3-10p.html

Scottmoose

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:46 pm »
OK, wading in here briefly. A few general pointers / thoughts, for what they're worth.

-Fostex's factory horn designs do not in general have a stellar reputation, but not all of them are bad, and the ESigma types are reasonable, have decent enough gain & are relatively linear for horns of this type. The standard En series horns (which were actually designed for the earlier E series drivers & have been carried over) are best avoided however. As an aside, in my experience, the E series & En drivers work better in the ESigma boxes than they do in the horns nominally designed for them. A point to keep in mind: they are designed very much with Japanese priorities in mind, with an eye toward room sizes, construction, and amplifiers -Fostex designed these units on the assumption they would be used on the end of a high output impedance amplifier (think ~ 2.5 ohms or > ).

-Re other drivers, it depends on which, specifically, you mean. You can use any driver that physically fits the enclosure, but unless it has identical specs. to the design driver, you will see significant deviations in response terms. How much so depends on degree. Unless the enclosure has been deliberately designed to be flexible enough to accommodate a modest range of driver specs., as a rule, it's better to avoid significant changes in spec., most notably Q, F0 (Fs) and Vas, which are the dominant factors.