Ncore Improvements

serengetiplains

Ncore Improvements
« on: 24 Jun 2012, 07:42 pm »
I notice the Ncore tweak thread is locked.  Is this topic verboten?

Here are a few avenues for improvement I can see from a distance:

1. Operate Ncores in bridge mode.

2. Preregulate the input and driver supply rails---for instance with Hynes regs.  Ideally I'd put a Hynes shunt reg as the last regulator before the circuit it's powering.

3. Bypass psu electrolytic and output filter capacitors with styrenes or teflons---for instance with these:

http://www.ecicaps.com/capacitors/features/mt1-series-teflon-polytetrafluoroethylene

4. Replace critical resistors (feedback, etc.) with Vishay smds.

5. Bi-wire multi-driver speakers.

6. Shield the psu from the Ncore module.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Ncore Improvements
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2012, 08:09 pm »
I suggest you purchase the modules and do to them as you suggest then report back with results.  Objective and subjective results of course.

serengetiplains

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2012, 08:19 pm »
I will be so doing, JT.  I've performed most of these mods on Tact amplifiers to surprisingly good effect.  I'll report back with my findings for the Ncores here.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2012, 08:26 pm »
I'll report back with my findings for the Ncores here.
:o

Great!   :thumb:

srb

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2012, 08:29 pm »
I'm assuming that you will first only modify one channel (or one monoblock) so that you can make more valid comparisons to the unmodified one?

Steve

serengetiplains

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2012, 08:36 pm »
Steve, I'll begin with unbridged Ncore modules driven by a SMPS600, then will add a second Ncore to each channel, then will add some Hynes regs, then resistors, capacitors, etc., in some such stepped progress.  PSU to Ncore wiring will be kept as short as possible (max 2" if I can swing it), with Ncores and PSUs mounted on either side of an aluminum plate.

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:29 am »
One thing, just don't mention anything here about tweaking the fuses. Everyone here gets upset.

Mama don't allow no tweaking the fuses. :nono:

serengetiplains

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2012, 04:02 am »
Mum's the word on those pesky fuses, I promise.  :shh:

srb

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2012, 04:51 am »
One thing, just don't mention anything here about tweaking the fuses. Everyone here gets upset.

Mama don't allow no tweaking the fuses. :nono:

They don't mind if you do it right.  Unsolder the fuseholder from the PC board and replace it with a rhodium over gold plated pure beryllium copper fuseholder.  It wouldn't make much sense to just pop an audiophile fuse into a standard cheap nickel plated tin fuseholder.

Steve

serengetiplains

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2012, 04:58 am »
It wouldn't make much sense to just pop an audiophile fuse into a standard cheap nickel plated tin fuseholder.

Indeed. 

One could then explore replacing the copper traces to and fro the gold plated pure beryllium copper fuseholder with, say, carbon nanotube bybee-sandwiched cryod-n-levitated superleads.  Kinda gets my heart rate up just mentioning it.

Emile

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2012, 10:32 am »
I'm thinking powering the input module from a 12V tranny with say a 10.000uF/20V jensen 4-pole (and rect. ofc).

Btw AMR 5A fuses blow at poweron  :roll:

bhakti

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:24 pm »

Btw AMR 5A fuses blow at poweron  :roll:

I believe the fuse should be a 5AT- five amp time delay or slow blow.

rodge827

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:54 am »
Hey All,

I don't own the Ncore amps yet, but I saw this over on Audiogon:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/core-audio-technology-hypex-ncore-linear-power-supply

6K and pure Ncore bliss....

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2012, 04:18 am »
Hey All,

I don't own the Ncore amps yet, but I saw this over on Audiogon:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/core-audio-technology-hypex-ncore-linear-power-supply

6K and pure Ncore bliss....

I'm not personally seeing anything like $6k USD in the images.  $2k might be worth considering, $3k getting up there, $4k too much...jumping to $6k seems way out there.  No faceplate image?  My 2c. 

Me hopes their product value and performance exceed their website editing:
Even paired with their stock Switchmode power supply they provide one of the very best sonic experiences amplification has to offer.

Emphasis added.  I'm reminded of Winston Churchill's reply when accused of using too many prepositional phrases: "This is petulance, up with which, I shall not put."

(Unrelated...his reply to a woman who accused him of being drunk: "I may be drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober.  Conversely, you shall still be homely.")

Ric Schultz

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2012, 04:39 am »
Do you realize that you are getting two of the chassis you see.....one for each channel?  That's a lot of expensive Mundorf caps, etc.  I think 6K is fine for all that.   You even have Mundorf silver/gold/oil caps in the AC filter that is not shown...this is some serious tweak here. 

srb

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2012, 04:40 am »
I'm not personally seeing anything like $6k USD in the images.

$6K is for the power supplies and chassis, you do still have to add your own NC400 modules.

Steve

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2012, 05:21 am »
Do you realize that you are getting two of the chassis you see

No.  Please re-read my criticism.  "in the images", not the text and images. I can't read text as stupid as what I quoted so I stopped.  The image + price quoted = bad value, and you seem to agree.       

Seriously, maybe you should drop him a note to include two in his image. 

.....one for each channel?  That's a lot of expensive Mundorf caps, etc.  I think 6K is fine for all that.   You even have Mundorf silver/gold/oil caps in the AC filter that is not shown...this is some serious tweak here.

Serious is worse than vague, sorry.  What's your estimate for the parts cost for two?  T'would be so much more "serious" to read independent feedback, direct A-B vs. SMPS600, no? 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2012, 05:23 am »
$6K is for the power supplies and chassis, you do still have to add your own NC400 modules.

Steve

Yes, I noticed that, thanks. 

coverto

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2012, 05:25 am »

There's nothing wrong with the grammar - "amplification" is the subject of an adjective clause modifying "experiences," and it need not agree in number - if that's the issue to which you're referring, as Mr. Churchill might feel compelled to say.

And on that last point, it should be noted, Churchill was referring not to the problem of too many prepositional phrases, but to the proscription by too many tight-sphinctered grammarians against the practice of ending a sentence with a preposition.

"Me hopes," on the other hand, wouldn't pass muster with most 21st Century copy editors.  :lol:

More importantly, I can testify that these power supplies are mighty effective - and yes, looks like you get two of 'em!  8)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jun 2012, 05:41 am »
I'm not personally seeing anything like $6k USD in the images.  $2k might be worth considering, $3k getting up there, $4k too much...jumping to $6k seems way out there.  No faceplate image?  My 2c. 

Emphasis added.  I'm reminded of Winston Churchill's reply when accused of using too many prepositional phrases: "This is petulance, up with which, I shall not put."

(Unrelated...his reply to a woman who accused him of being drunk: "I may be drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober.  Conversely, you shall still be homely.")

I am more tickled by the $6000 LIQUID music server that weighs 150 pounds. Maybe he will include a couple of freshwater Piranhas in that fish tank...:icon_twisted:...but alas they will not survive in mineral oil. Good to clean earwax though.

:duh:

Anand.