N2X model on demo tour...

JeffB

Re: N2X model on demo tour...
« Reply #80 on: 10 Nov 2009, 07:42 pm »
N2X speakers arrived at my house on Nov. 4 from Colorado.  Unfortunately I was on vacation and just got back on Nov. 9.  I was not expecting to receive these for a little while yet.  There is a crack in the veneer on the top of one speaker.  This speaker also has a nick on the corner of the baffle at the bottom.  The other speaker has a nick on the corner of the baffle at the top of the speaker.
Top of speaker 1

Top of speaker 1, second view.

Bottom of speaker1

Top of speaker 2

Danny Richie

« Reply #81 on: 10 Nov 2009, 07:49 pm »
Yeah, those veneer cracks have been there for a while. The ding on the corners may be new, but don't worry about it.

JeffB

« Reply #82 on: 11 Nov 2009, 04:12 pm »
I handed off the speakers to Iskandam last night and then I will get them back again.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #83 on: 11 Nov 2009, 06:59 pm »
All been there since before I had 'em, I believe.  They still sound friggin' fantastic though. :)

persisting1

« Reply #84 on: 12 Nov 2009, 10:45 am »
Do we get an email when these are sent to us or do we get a nice surprise when they show up at our doors?

Danny Richie

« Reply #85 on: 12 Nov 2009, 03:32 pm »
If I am on my toes then I send out an e-mail to confirm that you are ready.

oranda

« Reply #86 on: 18 Nov 2009, 09:11 am »
Hi all: Curious to know who has the N2Xs at the moment.  Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #87 on: 18 Nov 2009, 01:39 pm »
Michael has them in Chino Hills, CA.

Then we have Jeffrey again, Anthony, and then Brian all in California.

wideeyedwanderer

« Reply #88 on: 18 Nov 2009, 06:11 pm »
Hi -- I found this thread while researching these speakers on a recommendation. Any chance I can be added to audition these speakers?

Thanks a ton!

Danny Richie

« Reply #89 on: 18 Nov 2009, 06:22 pm »
Sure, just e-mail me you name, address, and phone number. Then before it is your turn I will need you to call me with the CC info needed to secure them.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #90 on: 18 Nov 2009, 06:56 pm »
excuse me for being rude but I'm curious to know if anyone has purchased the kit after the demo?  I think this is a great way for manufacturers to demo the gear.   :thumb:

oranda

« Reply #91 on: 18 Nov 2009, 07:14 pm »
Hi Danny:

I know the Neo 3 PDR measures well, but what are its distortion (harmonic and intermodular) specifications?  How does it compare to the GRT3 in this respect?  Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #92 on: 18 Nov 2009, 07:49 pm »
Actually a lot of people that have demo'ed the speakers have bought N2X or N3 kits.

Regarding the Neo tweeters, distortion has little to do with the differences that we hear from tweeter to tweeter. Most are all extremely low when it comes to what we really hear. But it is really good in that regard. Spectral decay for instance is about ten times more important.

ichillpill

« Reply #93 on: 18 Nov 2009, 07:55 pm »
excuse me for being rude but I'm curious to know if anyone has purchased the kit after the demo?  I think this is a great way for manufacturers to demo the gear.   :thumb:

for me personally, I'm contemplating getting the Neo2x, Neo3, or Super V. It depends on how accessible flatpacks are...I'm waiting to see when Swaggs21's venture will pull through maybe I can shoot for the Super V, if not the parts express cabinets are there for the Neo2x's.

After having the Neo2x in my very humble setup, I really miss their sound; the wife does too :)

oranda

« Reply #94 on: 18 Nov 2009, 08:33 pm »
Most are all extremely low when it comes to what we really hear. But it is really good in that regard.

No doubt there are several other critical variables to take into consideration, but how low is extremely low?  Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #95 on: 18 Nov 2009, 09:12 pm »
How low is low? Putting any numbers to it is of no value. Distortion measurements are all subject to how they are taken, and there is no one number that you can give it. It is a little like saying this speaker has 90db sensitivity, when in reality that is an average over a given range. Distortion ratings are the same times ten.

Also measuring and taking distortion readings become real useless outside of a real anechoic chamber as frequency decreases.

Tweeters are about the only thing you can get any real meaning from comparatively testing several the same way and under the same conditions.

From one measuring system or room to the next there is often little consistency and any numbers pulled out of the air have no real meaning.

Besides hearing the difference between .1 and .5 percent distortion levels is pretty impossible with any music input. There can be higher levels of distortion across the board in various other areas, even room noise levels in a really quiet room will exceed those levels. 

But comparatively I'd say that the distortion levels on the Neo (by its very design) will be as good as the best if not better than any other type of tweeter.

dvenardos

« Reply #96 on: 19 Nov 2009, 02:42 am »
Why not get on the demo list, the cost is nominal?

Most are all extremely low when it comes to what we really hear. But it is really good in that regard.

No doubt there are several other critical variables to take into consideration, but how low is extremely low?  Thanks!

oranda

« Reply #97 on: 19 Nov 2009, 10:30 am »
Why not get on the demo list, the cost is nominal?

Hi Don, I was fortunate enough to get on the list after a friend gave the N2Xs very high praise...  I was just interested in getting a bit more info before they arrived since I have never owned speakers that featured a PM driver.

iskandam

« Reply #98 on: 19 Nov 2009, 08:48 pm »
No doubt you will be very pleased with what you're about to hear.  Last week I set up a single N2X as a center channel.  This was the first time I've ever used a monitor as a center channel and it worked very well.  The off-axis response is much better than the conventional MTM horizontal center channel. 

As for the sound itself; open, natural, clean, and effortless.  I especially enjoy the highs.  Very detailed and accurate without being fatiguing.  The mid is also very, very good.  My listening room is 3000+ cubic ft, with openings to other rooms, so I did use a sub with it. 

Yesterday I set up the other N2X in stereo.  I played Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Keiko Matsui, and Jesse Cook.  WOW.  They sound much, much bigger than their size.  Forgive the cliche, but I did hear things that I didn't know were there in the recording to begin with.  These guys really excel at resolving microdetails in the recording and separating them appropriately in the soundstage.  I didn't know that there were background singers in Norah's COME AWAY WITH ME.  With other speakers the voices were blended together.  In Keiko Matsui's DREAMWALK I heard more instruments playing behind and around the piano.  Nice.

Then I popped in the Transformers bluray (the first one).  I also heard all kinds of little details like the sound of glass shattering, bullets ricocheting off cars, the trailing sound of Megatron flying away, asphalt cracking and flying off as Optimus Prime battles the tank thing on the freeway -- all spread out across the front soundstage and clearly separated from other sounds going on at the same time.  Remember, I only have both N2Xs playing with the sub (2.1).

Next is the Akira bluray.  Folks, this is the highest resolution lossless soundtrack available on the market today.  24 bit 192 khz Dolby TrueHD with bitrates ranging from 13.5 - 17+ Mbps (!)  Even in a 2.1 set up the sound filled the whole room from wall to wall.  The clarity is breathtaking.  Again, I heard a lot of subtle details both in the music soundtrack and sound effects. 

My priority is HT, and so far I've been very impressed at the N2Xs' ability in bringing out all the subtle nuances and complexity of lossless codecs.  I can't wait to throw more blurays at them this weekend!

oranda

« Reply #99 on: 20 Nov 2009, 02:56 pm »
No doubt you will be very pleased with what you're about to hear...
Very detailed and accurate without being fatiguing.  The mid is also very, very good...
They sound much, much bigger than their size. 

All signs of a well designed speaker.  Thanks for the info.
OK, if you insist, time to send those to me.   :D