Super V ground up build - sharing the experience

MichaelHiFi

Re: Super V ground up build - sharing the experience
« Reply #80 on: 8 Feb 2012, 04:43 pm »
Micheal I also went with a textured look on my baffles, it was a lot of trial and error till I found the look I wanted. I also ended with a gloss coat over....well lets just say its a custom finish... :D
I have been very happy with the finish on the baffles....over the last few yrs it has stood up better than I expected.......pure luck on my part.

I think the copper will look fantastic on the black....good luck!
Happy building.

Perry

Thanks Perry, glad I'm not the pioneer here.  :)

Got my Decware amp last night. Took a long time to get it to sing. I have no central image but great tonality. My speakers danced more around the floor than John Travolta in the mid seventies. I moved furniture, traps, you name it but no singer in the middle. Music wasn't confined to the speakers however and sounded lovely. Would like to get the room right before the Super V's move in. The Decades really like tubes.

Guy 13

« Reply #81 on: 8 Feb 2012, 05:06 pm »
Thanks Perry, glad I'm not the pioneer here.  :)

Got my Decware amp last night. Took a long time to get it to sing. I have no central image but great tonality. My speakers danced more around the floor than John Travolta in the mid seventies. I moved furniture, traps, you name it but no singer in the middle. Music wasn't confined to the speakers however and sounded lovely. Would like to get the room right before the Super V's move in. The Decades really like tubes.
Hi Michael and all Audio Circle members.

I own a pair of GR V1 and a Decware SE84C+ (2wpc) amplifier and the combo sounds good, however, the room acoustic was terrible, the room was very large and with only 2 wpc, I am lacking some punch and dynamics...

All my audio stuff is packed (In Vietnam) and will go back home (Canada) with me next month.
I also drove the V1 with my Niteshade Audio (10wpc) and the dynamics increase a lot.

Even if the V1 are 95db+ sensitive, you need more than 2 wpc for get the best of the V1 in a medium or large room.
I also own a pair of V2 which are a litttle less sensitive, but I drive them with my 10wpc Niteshade Audio.
Very happy with all Danny`s stuff.
Guy 13

WC

« Reply #82 on: 8 Feb 2012, 05:55 pm »
Guy 13,

Michael got the Decware Torii so it will have 25 W, instead of the 2W you were thinking.

Danny Richie

« Reply #83 on: 10 Feb 2012, 03:19 pm »
Yes, thanks Danny, and it's the pic I'm looking at but I'm really working from your layout you sent me with the kit. I won't post the layout but maybe it's a spacial problem in the pic that is confusing me.

It the pic, it looks like the big inductor 3.6mH is bottom right. It can't be though according to your diagram. That big inductor should never see the Jupiter cap and it shouldn't be in the woofer circuit anyway. So me thinks that the 3.6 is standing tall at the back facing us. It just looks small in the pic  :scratch:

The wiring diagram and the pic of the assembled crossover may not look at all the same. The diagram just shows the way it has to be connected and NOT the layout of the parts. Parts can be layed out completely different than the wiring diagram as far as placement. But they have to be connected as per the diagram.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #84 on: 12 Feb 2012, 12:43 am »
Updates:  8)

Progress made on the networks. See the last pic as a gut check as the wiring is coming together.

Side panels are getting color sanded. I continue to paint the rest.

After the layout, I marked the holes and drilled

Now I glue the pieces down with a hot glue gun.

Next, tie wrap the parts!

OK, now we trim and here we are

Getting towards finishing the wiring on the first card. This look right ? :scratch:

rockdrummer

« Reply #85 on: 12 Feb 2012, 02:35 pm »
When I started laying out crossovers for an a/v 1 I almost forgot heat shrink where OFC wire connections are made!
 :duh:

Ben

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #86 on: 17 Feb 2012, 02:42 am »
I picked up my side panels. What do you think?

I also received my sorbothane washers. These go between the crossover and the cabinet.

Danny Richie

« Reply #87 on: 17 Feb 2012, 02:49 am »
Wow!  :o  I love it!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #88 on: 17 Feb 2012, 02:49 am »
 :o

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo those are sweet! :notworthy: :rock: :bounce:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #89 on: 17 Feb 2012, 02:51 am »
Wow!

Those look fantastic  :thumb:

Are you getting close to final assembly?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #90 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:11 am »
They came out looking very nice. They match the room better that I could have imagined considering I picked the color at the body shop from a ring of color samples. Now we're scratching  :scratch: about the color of material for the speaker grills. It doesn't have to be black does it  :roll:

Current thinking is to begin assembly on Saturday. I'm nearly finished with the paint job of the rest of the parts. That's a lot of painting! Sanding and painting - sanding and painting - sanding and painting. The initial primer coat was a huge set back  :evil:

Between coats we've been playing the Tyler Decades using the new to us Decware Torii amp. Sounding really good! I know the networks in the Tylers need some work and there's an issue with the bass control setting and its interaction with the Tylers, but regardless, plenty of deep bass, a sweet midrange and nice highs have kept us in the audio room. My wife still complains about not enough of the goosebump factor as she heard with the LS6, Pass amp and Cary preamp combo.  :?
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2012, 02:51 am by MichaelHiFi »

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #91 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:01 pm »
I picked up my side panels. What do you think?

I also received my sorbothane washers. These go between the crossover and the cabinet.

I love the color.  Great job.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #92 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:21 pm »
Hope it goes well with the assembly this weekend and it all comes together. I think that you'll get some of the "goosebumps" back.  :green:

Which Decades do you have? Not familiar with any of their speakers.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #93 on: 18 Feb 2012, 02:00 am »
Thanks SoCal. I've got the Decade D1's. Really nice speakers with these tubes. According to Danny, who designed the x-overs, work needs to be done to improve what's already very good.

But I've got the Super V's to build. I'll start assembling the cabinets tomorrow.

My cartridge is supposed to show up any day now from being repaired. I need something to set it up on. I changed configuration of my stereo gear keeping Jr's fingers from tube rolling ...  :lol:  and changing needles on the cartridge...  :evil:

But now I need a stand with a lockable drawer to hide my arm!

Wife is correct. If you're not feeling the goosebumps constantly when playing your favorite music, your system is broken.

kp93300

« Reply #94 on: 18 Feb 2012, 02:25 am »
Wife is correct. If you're not feeling the goosebumps constantly when playing your favorite music, your system is broken.
[/quote]

i like the quote above and shall tell my wife that !
hi MichaelHiFi,
Very nice workmanship !
enjoy the pictures .
kp93300

jeffh

« Reply #95 on: 18 Feb 2012, 07:37 pm »
 :thumb: Those are going to look great!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #96 on: 19 Feb 2012, 04:08 am »
My amp went up in smoke. Literally. The whole house smells like a transformer  :bawl:

Now I have more time to spend building the Super V's.

Now I have no amp to play them with, probably for a long time so what's the hurry?  :scratch:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #97 on: 19 Feb 2012, 04:13 am »
My wife and I are good partners. We always find something positive out of crap that goes horribly wrong. For instance. Looking at the what was the pristine white base of our tube amplifier, now turned an interesting dark yellow from one of the transformers radiating outwards turning white again at the fringes "hey, why don't we paint that mess of an amp bass plate the color of our speaker panels"  :lol: :lol: :lol:   

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Danny Richie

« Reply #98 on: 19 Feb 2012, 04:28 am »
Ah man, was that the new Decware amp?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #99 on: 19 Feb 2012, 05:57 am »
Well it was a used Decware amp. I have a new one on order with a very long lead time.

Now we're wondering if the lifetime warranty is good on this amp given the fact that I bought it used? It looks like the transformer simply shorted one of it's windings (pure speculation - I'm no electronic engineer). I doubt that the fuse is even blown. I honestly think that just shutting it down via the power switches didn't stop the burning but rather I needed to unplug the unit from its AC. Too stunned to know. It's a pure dual mono so who knows, the right channel may still work.  :roll: