A different kind of recommendation question

Tom Bombadil

Re: A different kind of recommendation question
« Reply #20 on: 20 Aug 2018, 02:18 am »
It's been 10 weeks since I last reported on this.   My setup continues to work out well.   The imaging and soundstage are diminished in the smaller room and closer listening distance but I'm finding detail and resolution seem to be a bit better.  I can understand lyrics better in this setup than any I've ever had before.   Deep bass is also diminished but still well defined. 

So it is definitely a different listening experience.   But still a high-end experience.

After playing around with volume settings, I've found that my 17 wpc single-ended tube amp is sufficient for nearly all of my listening needs.  I occasionally swap in a 125 wpc SS amp and that sounds great, exacting even more resolution and detail.  But vocals are not as magical and natural.

optimationman

« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2018, 01:55 pm »
Tom, if you aren't, try placing your speakers on the long wall.  less side reflection issues, and place heavy absorbing material behind your sitting position.  I use batting across the entire wall to help simulate a larger room.  Being single makes this an easy configuration to try!

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2018, 02:34 pm »
They are on the long wall.  There really is no way to put them on the short walls as there are doors on both of them.   They sit about 6' from each side wall.   No batting on the walls but I do have a sofa and recliner across from them.   The speakers do look huge in my room, but I can deal with that.  Perhaps at some point I will sell them off and go with a slimmer profile speaker, but that is so much hassle.  I would never get a price that comes close to the sonic value of these speakers.