Squeezebox and Tidal

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Squeezebox and Tidal
« on: 18 Apr 2017, 03:29 pm »
I have a Squeezebox with 7.7.5 and playing Tidal Hi-Fi through my recently upgraded Schiit Bifrost DAC and I love it, the audio quality is awesome! :D
But the Squeezebox does not show or play all the music from my “Playlist” or show all the music in “My Music”. I know Logitech is not upgrading the software anymore but I have read others are but what I read, it’s all over my head.  :( I have seen this “Ickstream”, but over my head.  :(

Is it possible for someone to post what I have to do in layman’s terms to update it and if I do it, will it still play “My Music” from my computer?

And or what other streamers similar to a Squeezebox size, simplicity and cost will play Tidal if I decide to get a different streamer?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Squeezebox and Tidal
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2017, 05:01 pm »
Hi, budyog.

I've got a SBT. I don't know which version of the software it is though. I also have Tidal. I use Tidal almost the whole time. However, if I want to listen to 'My music', I must switch libraries. You see, Tidal is in one library. My music (in my Mac Mini) is in another library. Sometimes, when my SBT is misbehaving, I unplug it for 10 to 15 seconds before plugging it back in. This 'resets' it and allows it to recognize the other library.

If that sounds confusing, it's because it is confusing. I suspect my SBT is on its last legs, so I will have a replacement by the time I return here in October. I'm leaning toward buying a  MicroRendu, but there's no rush. Who knows what interesting goodies are just round the corner?

Good luck with the libraries. Oh, yeah. I can access Tidal only if I'm using the SBT remote control. Without the remote, the SBT just won't allow me to access Tidal. Beats the hell out of me why this is.

Best of luck...

Michael

budyog

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2017, 06:39 pm »
Hi, budyog.

I've got a SBT. I don't know which version of the software it is though. I also have Tidal. I use Tidal almost the whole time. However, if I want to listen to 'My music', I must switch libraries. You see, Tidal is in one library. My music (in my Mac Mini) is in another library. Sometimes, when my SBT is misbehaving, I unplug it for 10 to 15 seconds before plugging it back in. This 'resets' it and allows it to recognize the other library.

If that sounds confusing, it's because it is confusing. I suspect my SBT is on its last legs, so I will have a replacement by the time I return here in October. I'm leaning toward buying a  MicroRendu, but there's no rush. Who knows what interesting goodies are just round the corner?

Good luck with the libraries. Oh, yeah. I can access Tidal only if I'm using the SBT remote control. Without the remote, the SBT just won't allow me to access Tidal. Beats the hell out of me why this is.

Best of luck...

Michael

I listen to mostly Tidal also. I have tried switching to "My Music" but then I have to restart my computer to play Tidal again, no idea why this happens. It would be nice if it didn't as my SBT is in my garage and my PC is in my home several feet away.

But that is not as important to me as wanting to get my SBT to play whole playlist and show all "My Favorites" when in Tidal. For example when in a playlist on SBT it will show and play like 14 or 15 out of 200 and it seems to only show up to about the "L" from A to Z in "My Favorites".

Maybe time to look for other options, but the SBT is so perfect for me (was so perfect) with it's ease of operation, the size and the the screen, perfect for my needs.

Other options?

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2017, 07:23 pm »
Logitech Media Server 7.9 is available here

There are many upgrades to the software and improved sonics. If you install the EDO (Enhanced Digital Output)mod, you will be able to play back hi-res files to 24/192. You can also stream DSD over DoP. It also allows you to use the USB connector as an output to a DAC.

I do not use Tidal so I cannot help you with your problems with that.

For another hardware platform, the Raspberry Pi can run SqueezeLite. That is a program that can connect with Logitech Media Server and use all of it's features. You can also use Roon on the LMS.

budyog

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2017, 05:05 pm »
My whole goal was to bring back song shuffle using Tidal thinking I have to do updates and modifications to my SBT and maybe I still do because I am now down to one little glitch.

But I have found that if you "Star" or favorite tracks in Tidal, then set SBT tracks and SBT shuffle it works, and I am thrilled! :D

The glitch now is that SBT only shows a quantity of 500. I have read a few options around this glitch of one being I go to setting, advance and performance and change the quantity to zero but I do not have a selection called "performance"?

But even though SBT says playing 3 of 500, 40 of 500 or whatever of 500, I need to give it more listening time as it may say 500 but maybe it is randomly selecting songs from my whole group of of over 1000 "stared" songs, time will tell. Don't get me wrong, 500 is a lot of tracks, it would just be nice to know that it is selecting for all instead of a limited number.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2017, 05:34 pm »
Wayne1
Thanks for the notice of a new software version. If I install the new May 1 version will I need to re-install EDO?

budyog

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2018, 11:54 pm »
1 old issue, 1 new issue and possible replacement?

No matter what number I put in in "Maximum Playlist Length" under the "Performance" tab my SBT still shows 500, any ways around this?
No matter what I do when I go to play "tracks" using shuffle on the SBT, is only plays in alphabetical order starting with A? Any way around this to shuffle tracks?

I know SBT is out of date but I really love it! Nice and small, touch screen on unit so not have to use phone, cat 5 in, digital out etc. Idea's for a good replacement unit that would cure my above issues? I have a DAC/preamp/amp etc. I'm sure I could get used to my phone being the control. Google/Android phone.

Thank you.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2018, 12:32 am »
1 old issue, 1 new issue and possible replacement?

… No matter what I do when I go to play "tracks" using shuffle on the SBT, is only plays in alphabetical order starting with A? Any way around this to shuffle tracks?

I know SBT is out of date but I really love it! Nice and small, touch screen on unit so not have to use phone, cat 5 in, digital out etc. Idea's for a good replacement unit that would cure my above issues? I have a DAC/preamp/amp etc. I'm sure I could get used to my phone being the control. Google/Android phone.

Thank you.

I don't know what to do with the Maximum Playlist problem, Ive never run into it.

However, as for "shuffle", make sure you've tried the following - it works perfectly here:

In Tidal, go to whatever track-list you want to play. Note the order of the first few songs; this is your alphabetical listing. Double-tap the top (1st) song to start it playing. Once it's a few seconds in, click the shuffle button at the bottom of the screen one time - the button will illuminate. Now, click the File box in the upper righthand corner. This *should* show you your now shuffled playlist, and the order in which they will play. Do the first few songs match what you looked at earlier?

As for a replacement, when my Touch died I built a new one. It consists of a Raspberry pi 3B+, and official Raspberry pi touchscreen, a Smarticase touchscreen case, and an Allo Digione soundcard. Cost about $220.00, took less than an hour to build and set up, and totally kicks ass. It puts the SB Touch to shame.

Have fun,

Jerry

Edit: Oh, and it works seamlessly from my android phone using the standard Squeezebox app if I'm too far from the touchscreen.