Has Bryston considered a DAC with less features?

Stu Pitt

Has Bryston considered a DAC with less features?
« on: 7 Mar 2010, 11:32 pm »
James,

I've been lusting for a BDA-1 for quite a while now, but every day that passes makes me realize more and more that its out of my budget.  But that got me thinking...

Have you contemplated a sort of stripped down BDA-1?  By stripped down, I mean feature-wise, not sound-wise.  What I'm thinking is basically the internal DAC card that's optional with preamps and integrateds in an external box with 1 coax, optical, and USB input, and one set of RCA outs.  No selectable upsampling, balanced ins and outs, remote capability, etc.

Or in other words, an answer to DACs like the Benchmark, Lavry, and so on.

I don't know if dropping the extra features would make much difference in price or not.  If there was a Bryston DAC in the $1k - $1.5k range, I'd be all over it.  I think it could also be something that would attract new customers.

I've contemplated having the optional DAC card installed in my B60, but there's a host of problems in my case - I'd lose the phono stage,and I'd have to get a optical to coax converter (my Apple Tv only has optical out).  By the time I got everything, it would end up costing more money in the end.

It could be the BDA-Half.  Most or all the sound quality, half the features, and a reduced price.

Phil A

Re: Has Bryston considered a DAC with less features?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2010, 11:50 pm »
Why not watch Audiogon for a used one?  The upper end of you range is probably not far off what you can buy one for.  I bought one a month and a half ago that was 3 weeks old for $1,600.  I was watching for it and decided I'd rather have the DAC than my BCD-1 and the minute my BCD-1 was sold I bought the DAC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2010, 11:59 pm »
James,

I've been lusting for a BDA-1 for quite a while now, but every day that passes makes me realize more and more that its out of my budget.  But that got me thinking...

Have you contemplated a sort of stripped down BDA-1?  By stripped down, I mean feature-wise, not sound-wise.  What I'm thinking is basically the internal DAC card that's optional with preamps and integrateds in an external box with 1 coax, optical, and USB input, and one set of RCA outs.  No selectable upsampling, balanced ins and outs, remote capability, etc.

Or in other words, an answer to DACs like the Benchmark, Lavry, and so on.

I don't know if dropping the extra features would make much difference in price or not.  If there was a Bryston DAC in the $1k - $1.5k range, I'd be all over it.  I think it could also be something that would attract new customers.

I've contemplated having the optional DAC card installed in my B60, but there's a host of problems in my case - I'd lose the phono stage,and I'd have to get a optical to coax converter (my Apple Tv only has optical out).  By the time I got everything, it would end up costing more money in the end.

It could be the BDA-Half.  Most or all the sound quality, half the features, and a reduced price.

Hi Stu,

It really comes down to cost effectivness.  When you take into account the cost savings on a few parts and the needed extra costs of inventory for a different product the cost savings is minimal.

james

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2010, 12:41 am »
Thanks for the reply James.  Though I have no realistic formal business training, I understand there's more to selling a product that just being able to build it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd think a BDA-.5 be more appealing to the studio guys too.

Phil,

I've been keeping an eye on Audiogon.  The top end of my budget is a bit of a stretch, but managable.  I have the utmost faith in Bryston's warranty and track record, but I'm a bit uneasy with buying second hand, especially digital stuff.  That'll probably be the way I'll go, but I'll have to sell off some stuff and find the right buyer at the right time with the right piece first.  I figured James would say what he said (and I have no doubt it's the truth), but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.  I'd really like a Bryston version of the Benchmark DAC1.

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2010, 12:57 am »
Not to tread on the Bryston forum, I'd like to say that Stu is onto something here. And this goes for all manufacturers. Right now I have a Music Hall DAC and I only use the basic setting. No upsampling for me. I've found that the sound becomes too clinical and unrealistic.
I went from a 16 bit, non over/upsampling, no opamp, filterless CDP to this and its as far as I need to go. It seems to me that the Music Hall took the best parts of the CDP and extended the highs and lows w/o sacrificing the basic intent. It lost none of the ebb and flow and musicality and yet retained all the goodness.
I understand the trouble that all manufacturers must go to address all the needs and satisfy all the whims of their cliental and 'future proof' the expected needs but when it all boils down to what I, and I feel, a lot of folks need, is just a damn good DAC that won't break the bank.
Once, again, sorry for treading on the Bryston forum and this is by no means a knock on their product. From what I've read, its one damn fine DAC. And if I  were to use just the basic setting, I sure it would be all I would need.
I feel for you Stu.

jaxwired

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2010, 01:41 am »
I have the utmost faith in Bryston's warranty and track record, but I'm a bit uneasy with buying second hand, especially digital stuff.....I'd really like a Bryston version of the Benchmark DAC1.

Stu, while I'm in agreement with you when it comes to CD players (it's the one thing I won't buy used, to much to go wrong with it) a DAC is a much safer bet.  I'd buy a used DAC anytime.  What's to worry about it?  DACs must have a lower failure rate than amps or preamps.  I'd go for a used one.

But I will say, that I have a NAD C545bee feeding a Benchmark DAC1 and it's sublime.  I highly recommmend it.  And brand new factory shipped for 1k.  A little more if you want USB.  Mates well with my Bryston gear too.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:51 am »
I'd be a bit careful if buying an expensive high end transport of some kind especially with what can happen in transit.  You also can, as pointed out by others, get a decent DAC for less than the BDA-1.  It was not a problem for me as I sold my BCD-1 to buy the BDA-1.  I have an old (like 15 years old) MicroMega DuoPro DAC in my secondary basement system that still sounds really good.  When I bought my BCD-1, I was using my MicroMega in the main system as I had sold my main digital rig.  I took the BCD-1 home before I bought it and the Micromega had many of the same qualities as the CD player.  The lower end of the Micromega was not as good as the BCD-1 (and the Micromega sounds better in my secondary basement system as the B&W P6s start to drop of below 40Hz).  Other than that it sounded similar to the BCD-1 in most ways.  Many years back, I traded used stuff worth probably less than $200 for the Micromega (although when they pop up on Audiogon they seem to go for $500-600).  I really think the way to go is a DAC.  I thought about it for a bit and late last year I decided after the beginning of this year I was going to sell the BCD-1 and get the BDA-1.  I have more than one source I can input into the DAC and I don't have to think about down the road about a transport issue.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2010, 03:05 am »
Stu- have not heard this DAC but I've heard many rave about it, including my dealer who decided not to carry it probably due to floor space limitations and perhaps fear people will not buy a more expensive digital product - http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1273195043&/PS-Audio-DL-3-Link-Dac

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2010, 03:12 am »
Stu- have not heard this DAC but I've heard many rave about it, including my dealer who decided not to carry it probably due to floor space limitations and perhaps fear people will not buy a more expensive digital product - http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1273195043&/PS-Audio-DL-3-Link-Dac

I have heard this DAC and it did absolutely nothing for me personally, ymmv.

I do hope to hear Bryston's DAC at an upcoming NY RAVE,,,, maybe.  :o   :D

Cheers,
Robin

Stu Pitt

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2010, 03:49 am »
Thanks for the replies guys.  It gives me a lot to consider.

I love the BDA-1.  I've heard it and the BCD-1, and they sound as close to perfect to my ears as is realistically possible.  They sounded far better than some stuff I've heard that cost multiples of them.

I'm not saying that as a Bryston 'Fan Boy' in any way.  I'd give them the same praise if they were any other company.

I've heard the PS Audio DAC once or twice.  I don't know what it was, but it just didn't do it for me.  Could have been the rest of the system and/or room, but when I hear something I know within a minute or two if its not for me.  I could see how people like it; to me its more of a taste issue.

I've also heard the Benchmark DAC1.  In one system/room it sounded a touch dry and analytical.  In another unrelated system it sounded very good.  I'm not sure what it'll sound like in a Bryston system.  I'd really appreciate any insight.  I know they've got a 30 day trial, but I'm still trying to see what's out ther and what's on the horizon.

I love my Rega Apollo.  I'm just getting to ADDish for a single disc CDP.  If I could get a DAC comparable to it, I could live happily with that for a very long time.  Maybe Rega will join the 21st century and build a DAC.  Hopefully their quality control will get better than its been recently too.

So if anyone's familiar with the Apollo could suggest a DAC that sounds close to it - analogish with great punch and pace - I'm all ears.  My old Theta Cobalt DAC surprisingly does a lot of things better than the Apollo.  It just doesn't have that groove to it like the Apollo does.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

Last ditch effort -

James - If you want to covertly build me a BDA-.5, I won't tell anyone :thumb: 

werd

« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2010, 04:07 pm »
We all know you are fanboy Stu so just go get it.  :)