PowerPac remote trigger operation?

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
PowerPac remote trigger operation?
« on: 12 Apr 2007, 06:51 pm »
I'm trying to figure out if this is possible:

I want to be able to power up four (4)  Bryston PowerPac 120's from the back of my bryston 25 preamp power supply - the original one that come with the BP-25.   The only reason is because I am lazy, and I don't want to have to manually turn 4 amps on and off every time.      I looked at the Bryston on-line manuals,  and it looks like you cannot daisy-chain PowerPacs the same way you can with their regular amps (PowerPacs 120 and 300 have the "in" for 12 volt but not the "out";  I think the 60 has no remote voltage turn-on at this time).   

So I guess my next alternative is to run 4 pairs of skinny wires out the back of the preamp power supply,  simulataneosly.   That's a lot of wire to cram into those little slots.    So I guess my questions at this point are:

1)   Even if i can fit all that wire into the slots,   am I going to fry something / anything by doing so?   

2)    If I upgrade to a newer preamp power supply (I think it's called MPS-1 or 2?)  ,   do I get more 12 volt remote options on the rear panel?

3)   Any other suggestions, ideas,  or anything I'm just totally overlooking?     

Thanks very much,  GR

perose

Re: PowerPac remote trigger operation?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2007, 08:33 pm »
What's wrong with daisy chaining from the trigger input of the first amp to the trigger input of the second amp and so forth?? It would be the equivalent of running "4 pairs of skinny wires out the back of the preamp power supply".

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2007, 03:15 pm »
What's wrong with daisy chaining from the trigger input of the first amp to the trigger input of the second amp and so forth?? It would be the equivalent of running "4 pairs of skinny wires out the back of the preamp power supply".

Thanks perose,

Your correct - just connect wires in parallel from that PowerPac connector to the next, and from the second to the third and third to fourth. That still puts two wires in the first, second and third PowerPac trigger connectors, but avoids the four in parallel as described above. 

james

ec

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2007, 01:33 am »
On a similar note, the SP 1.7 "only" has three terminals for their 12V triggers: On/Off, common, Aux 

Although I use 3 Bryston SST amps which can be daisy chained, I have a bunch of other amps (for subs), riser lighting, PJ etc that I want triggered.   So went to an electronics store and got screw terminal connecting block like the ones here

I then connected the SP 1.7 triggers to the connecting block and voila, easy to access and expandable triggers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2007, 11:16 am »
On a similar note, the SP 1.7 "only" has three terminals for their 12V triggers: On/Off, common, Aux 

Although I use 3 Bryston SST amps which can be daisy chained, I have a bunch of other amps (for subs), riser lighting, PJ etc that I want triggered.   So went to an electronics store and got screw terminal connecting block like the ones here

I then connected the SP 1.7 triggers to the connecting block and voila, easy to access and expandable triggers.

Hi Eric,

Looking for an engineering job?

james

ec

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2007, 10:42 pm »
Hi Eric,

Looking for an engineering job?

james

James,

If I worked for Bryston as an engineer, you guys would have to change your warranty to 90 days to stay in business  :lol: I took business in university and not engineering to avoid the math.  Then I discovered all mandatory statistics courses <damn>.  It was during that time that I bought my first Bryston amp - a 3B Pro from Spectular Sounds.  That one didn't have a trigger.   :P