undertowogt1

Re: Sandbox OB H Frame Build Completed
« Reply #61 on: 5 Jul 2020, 07:26 pm »
pretty crazy, very nice.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #62 on: 5 Jul 2020, 10:57 pm »
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

BTW How much do the completed subs weigh each? Just curious.

AlexH

« Reply #63 on: 6 Jul 2020, 01:09 am »
They ended up at 132 lbs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #64 on: 7 Jul 2020, 02:54 am »
Just wow!

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #65 on: 7 Jul 2020, 12:15 pm »
Wow!  Just beautiful work, Alex. 

AlexH

« Reply #66 on: 7 Jul 2020, 12:50 pm »
Thank you all for the compliments. The best thing is they sound good too, really good!

AlexH

« Reply #67 on: 7 Jul 2020, 12:51 pm »
Wow!  Just beautiful work, Alex.

The work you do is very impressive for sure. Thanks

russellberg

« Reply #68 on: 9 Jul 2020, 06:39 am »
I see this is an amendment to Danny's design where he has one sub facing each direction.  I am interested in your decision making process on that one.  Whether or not the sand makes a difference you have essentially built torsion boxes for the sides of your frame and that structure is incredibly stiff and stable.  My workbench is made out of torsion boxes and it is incredibly stable.  Wonderful care and skill with the woodwork!

AlexH

« Reply #69 on: 9 Jul 2020, 10:23 am »
There was a discussion around here not long ago about this very topic. If I remember correctly although the distortion levels were lower having the drivers facing in opposite direction many thought it was not audible. So I liked the drivers facing the same direction. I can always change it if need be.

AlexH

« Reply #70 on: 13 Jul 2020, 12:22 pm »
With Danny's permission I had a little bling made to sit on top of my new sub. It is an 8 x 10 etched glass plaque. Now I need to figure out how to add a small led that comes on every time I use these speakers. :lol:

russellberg

« Reply #72 on: 18 Jul 2020, 02:10 pm »
There was a discussion around here not long ago about this very topic. If I remember correctly although the distortion levels were lower having the drivers facing in opposite direction many thought it was not audible. So I liked the drivers facing the same direction. I can always change it if need be.
That's cool!  I wasn't aware of that.  I have thought about open baffle subs down the road but I did not like the way it looked with the back of on speaker facing forward.  I don't have the child issues at my place :)  so I think that I would just grill the backs.  There are lots of really good ideas in this build that have me thinking.

Creative cut designs

« Reply #73 on: 18 Jul 2020, 03:28 pm »
Absolutely awesometastic!!!

AlexH

« Reply #74 on: 18 Jul 2020, 09:12 pm »
That's cool!  I wasn't aware of that.  I have thought about open baffle subs down the road but I did not like the way it looked with the back of on speaker facing forward.  I don't have the child issues at my place :)  so I think that I would just grill the backs.  There are lots of really good ideas in this build that have me thinking.

Thanks. I love looking at builds. You can always get some good ideas from others who are willing to share.

Captainhemo

« Reply #75 on: 21 Jul 2020, 07:40 pm »
Very well done  Alex, they  turned out  amazing.

With regards to the  driver orientation,  I'd say  we send out at least  60% of  the kits    with all woofers  facing forward.  We've listened to them both ways, numerous time (both duals and triples), no  real audiable  difference.  Originally   I felt   the all forward  gave a little more punch but  really  hard to  say when you  go back.

For  anyone  going with them all forward, there is a wiring  difference  and   that is shown in the  H-frame wiring  sticky

jay

emailtim

« Reply #76 on: 27 Jul 2020, 04:36 pm »
... And finally the complete set.

Thanks for Looking.

Beautiful build.  I am sure they sound as great as they look.  Enjoy.

jmcwilli76

« Reply #77 on: 27 Jul 2020, 06:02 pm »
Very nice build.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

AlexH

« Reply #78 on: 27 Jul 2020, 11:00 pm »
With Danny's permission I had a little bling made to sit on top of my new sub. It is an 8 x 10 etched glass plaque. Now I need to figure out how to add a small led that comes on every time I use these speakers. :lol:

By the way if any of you would like a plaque with the GR logo you can get one here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GR-RESEARCH-ETCHED-GLASS-SIGN-PLAQUE/353131562678?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649. I have a affiliation with the maker. I have ordered from him in the past. He has some other great stereo equipment logos as well. This was custom made for me so you may have to send him a message.

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 29 Jul 2020, 01:49 pm »
Nice job on the speakers, and I really love the plaque.  :thumb:

Truly exceptional work!