Name your favorite DAC.

WGH

Re: Name your favorite DAC.
« Reply #80 on: 29 Jan 2019, 01:56 am »
ASR and its relationship with Schitt is well documented and discussed ad naseum on several sites.

I had no idea ASR's measurements were so controversial until the Schiit Yggdrasil was mentioned, then I had to read the review. I was more focused on how well the $250 SMSL SU-8 Version 2 DAC did along with two positive reviews by AC members.

My favorite DAC is the Van Alstine FET Valve Hybrid DAC (discontinued). A few years ago we compared the Van Alstine DAC to the more expensive PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC in two different systems and could hear zero differences. The only way we could hear a difference was to use the digital filters built into the PerfectWave, gritty digital recordings made in the early days can be ever so slightly altered to make them listenable. If a FET Valve Hybrid DAC ever shows up used on the Van Alstine site snatch it up quick, it doesn't do DSD or super high res like current models but I ain't got any of that esoteric stuff anyway.

bacobits1

« Reply #81 on: 29 Jan 2019, 09:23 am »
Kind of a foolish question, being your "favorite" is what you are using.  :duh:

Using a Yggdrasil updated now and for the last three years.
Just excellent as mentioned the drums and cymbols no fatigue ever.
Not interested in the least bit in measurements especially ASR the guy is a buffoon!

The best thing I did for my system by far was treat the room.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2019, 05:24 pm by bacobits1 »

Tsmith

• Upgraditus is a real disease
« Reply #82 on: 31 Jan 2019, 07:59 pm »
My current DAC of choice is an Oppo Sonica DAC which I use to play from my digital library on a NAS and stream from Spotify.

Im happy with the Sonica but its that time of year where I catch a case of Upgraditus and have been reading up on the following DACS:

NAD C658
PS Audio Direct Stream Junior
NuPrime Evolution

wushuliu

« Reply #83 on: 31 Jan 2019, 08:24 pm »
It's easy to get GREAT measurements as long as you're willing to use a shit-ton of negative feedback.  Problem is that it'll sound pretty crappy.  Which is why a modestly measuring device can sound better than a super great measuring device.

More importantly, we must remember there is no protocol for these measurements. There is no preestablished methodology. There's no degree, no field of study, no organized set of principles. It's literally someone with an expensive piece of gear making it up as he goes along, just like the rest of us.

My favorite DAC is whatever I'm taking apart at the moment. These days, it's the Fiio D03k...

mr_bill

« Reply #84 on: 31 Jan 2019, 10:52 pm »
My current DAC of choice is an Oppo Sonica DAC which I use to play from my digital library on a NAS and stream from Spotify.

Im happy with the Sonica but its that time of year where I catch a case of Upgraditus and have been reading up on the following DACS:

NAD C658
NuPrime Evolution

Those are 3 good ones

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #85 on: 31 Jan 2019, 11:42 pm »
Previous DAC was an Adcom DA700 (added antistatic foam fill, 110Hz AC instead of 60Hz) I paid $250 for it used.
After many happy years of using the Adcom, I upgraded to a Marantz SA-10 to use primarily as a DAC even though it is a SACD player. I run two five disc changers into the SA-10. one via Toslink, One via RCA SPDIF. And all my CD playback is via one of the changers to the SA-10 as DAC.
(I still run the five disc changers at AC 110Hz, but the Marantz at standard 60Hz due to warranty concern.)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #86 on: 2 Feb 2019, 11:52 am »

NAD C658
NuPrime Evolution

You're in my wheelhouse.  Sonica of course is no longer made, too bad, but Oppo has pulled out without warning before.  And it was just revealed that production of my DirectStream Junior (DSJ) will be halted.  Probably due to parts availability and it doesn't fit into their product lines.   :(  Haven't kept up with NuPrime Evolution discussion here and C658 is still too new to have much feedback on it. 

I bought the DSJ for it's manufacturer's strong historic, R&D, and support background; streamer feature; firmware upgrades; and frankly the discounted price but dealing with the company has been very comfortable (a family feel).  But if you're an annual DAC buyer and don't want to waste money I'd look at lower priced stuff, like the $500 Topping DX7s.  It better reflects modern DAC realities of ever changing/improving performance in a reasonable well made piece without over investment in quickly depreciating stuff from top heavy old school manufacturers.

Alternatives to your listing IMO should include RME ADI-2, a professional German DAC/preamp/headphone amp ($1100) and Soekris 1541 Danish DAC/preamp/headphone amp ($1425, 27 bit R2R design).  Both offer fully balanced design with RCA outputs as well in half width cabinets.  Another set of options are the impressive Denafrips DACs prices starting at $657 USD.
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2019, 01:59 pm by JLM »

Tsmith

« Reply #87 on: 13 Feb 2019, 05:03 am »
You're in my wheelhouse.  Sonica of course is no longer made, too bad, but Oppo has pulled out without warning before.  And it was just revealed that production of my DirectStream Junior (DSJ) will be halted.  Probably due to parts availability and it doesn't fit into their product lines.   :(  Haven't kept up with NuPrime Evolution discussion here and C658 is still too new to have much feedback on it. 

I bought the DSJ for it's manufacturer's strong historic, R&D, and support background; streamer feature; firmware upgrades; and frankly the discounted price but dealing with the company has been very comfortable (a family feel).  But if you're an annual DAC buyer and don't want to waste money I'd look at lower priced stuff, like the $500 Topping DX7s.  It better reflects modern DAC realities of ever changing/improving performance in a reasonable well made piece without over investment in quickly depreciating stuff from top heavy old school manufacturers.

Alternatives to your listing IMO should include RME ADI-2, a professional German DAC/preamp/headphone amp ($1100) and Soekris 1541 Danish DAC/preamp/headphone amp ($1425, 27 bit R2R design).  Both offer fully balanced design with RCA outputs as well in half width cabinets.  Another set of options are the impressive Denafrips DACs prices starting at $657 USD.

Thanks for the recommendations. Wouldn’t say I purchase DACs yearly but I do tend to look for new toys this time of year.

I ended up ordering the NAD C658 which should be here Thursday.

I’m hoping to connect the NAD directly to my Stellar AMPs XLR inputs for two channel listening and connect RCA preout from my Marantz 8805 for the HT Fronts to Line In of the NAD which has a bypass setting to avoid coverting signal to digital then back to analog. The Sonica sounds great connected directly to my amps and has Line In as well but always converts the RCA Aux Line In to digital then back to analog for some reason which isn’t what I want. The NAD can also play MQA from Tidal which I want to test out as well although have heard mixed results.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #88 on: 13 Feb 2019, 11:15 am »
Thanks for the recommendations. Wouldn’t say I purchase DACs yearly but I do tend to look for new toys this time of year.

I ended up ordering the NAD C658 which should be here Thursday.

I’m hoping to connect the NAD directly to my Stellar AMPs XLR inputs for two channel listening and connect RCA preout from my Marantz 8805 for the HT Fronts to Line In of the NAD which has a bypass setting to avoid coverting signal to digital then back to analog. The Sonica sounds great connected directly to my amps and has Line In as well but always converts the RCA Aux Line In to digital then back to analog for some reason which isn’t what I want. The NAD can also play MQA from Tidal which I want to test out as well although have heard mixed results.

Please do keep us (me) informed as to your impressions of the NAD C658.  From little I've found online its a bit of a mixed bag: chip is an ESS oddball (not 9038 as I'd expect at this price), Dirac not yet available, confusion regarding subwoofer outputs (dual mono or stereo), subwoofer output locked into 80 Hz low pass with unknown crossover slope, and sound quality comparisons ranging from Masters series down to Node 2.  Am considering taking my DSJ into the "local" NAD shop to compare.  What I'd really like to see from NAD is a streaming preamp version of their very new $2500 M10 streaming integrated amp.

Tsmith

« Reply #89 on: 14 Feb 2019, 10:00 pm »
Please do keep us (me) informed as to your impressions of the NAD C658.  From little I've found online its a bit of a mixed bag: chip is an ESS oddball (not 9038 as I'd expect at this price), Dirac not yet available, confusion regarding subwoofer outputs (dual mono or stereo), subwoofer output locked into 80 Hz low pass with unknown crossover slope, and sound quality comparisons ranging from Masters series down to Node 2.  Am considering taking my DSJ into the "local" NAD shop to compare.  What I'd really like to see from NAD is a streaming preamp version of their very new $2500 M10 streaming integrated amp.

Unfortunately the shipping gods were not on my side as my package has been stuck in Ohio since 4AM yesterday morning. FedEx can’t say why but appears to be weather related. Hoping to get tomorrow but who knows at this point.

I was also surprised the NAD didn’t include the 9038 and instead includes new 9028 which is an upgrade to the 9018. Some of the pics online do show mono sub out but the manual shows stereo sub out which I think was confirmed on another board. Dirac not available yet but supposedefly coming sooner than later.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #90 on: 15 Feb 2019, 02:05 am »
Here is a good "article" or technical discussion/education on the technical side of dac stuff from a guy I much respect "atomicbob" his moniker is "dScope yoda"...and I have had several converstations with Bob over the past year and I find him extremely knowledgeable in this area of how dacs measure and perform.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/tutorial-lies-damn-lies-and-usb-dac-technical-measurements.5770/

Bob also listens to dacs and measurements are not the end all etc....

I was very surprised when he was measuring and using the Schitt, Bifrost, Gungnir and Yggdrasil...and thinks the Bifrost is really an exceptional dac....even thought the higher cost Yggy is abit "better"...it goes to show you dont need to spend megabucks to have a really great performing dac...

Alex

bluemeanies

« Reply #91 on: 15 Feb 2019, 01:10 pm »
All in the ears of the beholder. Different storkes for different folks, that's why there is chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
All of the above has truth.
Especially the FACT that all of us hear our music in a different light.
My dac of choice is the Audionote 4.1LE tube dac.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #92 on: 15 Feb 2019, 06:03 pm »

What a bummer.  I was keen to find out more about this unit but have no idea why NAD would not use a state of the art chip.  I know NAD is not regarded as a true top tier product but with everything the C658 offered and given its new launch, I was hopeful it would be superior to the Mytek Stereo DSD 192 I am currently using.  I have had the Mytek for a bit over 5 years and assume DAC technology has moved enough that it is worth spending $1500-$2500 once again.  As well, all the added features of the C658 would allow me to eliminate quite a few other pieces (Squeezebox Touch, PreAmp, possibly my Laptop?) but I am starting to feel they may have laid an egg here.

There is also the ELAC DDP-2 but no information on the sound of it either.  Any thoughts here?

Tsmith

« Reply #93 on: 17 Feb 2019, 02:46 am »
I received my NAD C 658 yesterday and was able to get it setup although not as plug as play as devices should be these days but that was mostly due to me not being familiar with BluOS. The NAD and or BluOS is not UPnP or DLNA compatible and instead uses SMB which I don't normally use. It can access folder shares though which I was able to setup on my NAS although the share had to be typed in as the NAD couldn't find it on its own.

I set this up initially with XLR out directly to my mono amps and as Ive read elsewhere it was a little bright out of the box. I let it play all night and did some more testing today with it connected to my Marantz 8805 by both XLR and RCA Unbalanced and to my surprise RCA Unbalanced sounds better and is even a few dB louder than XLR which is the exact opposite from other devices Ive had. The only explanation I can think of is that the XLR Preouts on this NAD are not fully balanced but I haven't been able to find that answer so I emailed NAD. I currently have the NAD connected by RCA to 7.1 Inputs on the Marantz and will leave it like this through the weekend while I get some more hours on it.

On another note I am happy to report that the Analog Bypass does work which is a nice feature allowing you to connect the NAD directly to your amp(s) and then connect Front RCA Preouts from AVR to Line Input on the NAD to route your fronts through the NAD to your amps without any conversion taking place. I watched Bohemian Rhapsody this way and didn't notice any issues or feel like I was missing anything.

As of now my Oppo Sonica is still my preferred DAC but I like the features that the NAD offers
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2019, 03:49 am by Tsmith »

OzarkTom

« Reply #94 on: 17 Feb 2019, 05:22 am »
Give the NAD at least 300 hours to break in, maybe even more.

tomfloares34

« Reply #95 on: 17 Feb 2019, 08:34 pm »
Over the past few years I have used a Stello Dac, Bryston, a NAD M51, a Schiit Yggdrasil version 1, a Topping Dx7s and currently use a Schiit Yggdrasil version 2.  In between I auditioned a Bricasti M1.  The Yggy 2 is my current DAC and one I will continue to use for quite a while.....However, it is always tempting to try something different.  Tom

SFDude

« Reply #96 on: 17 Feb 2019, 09:33 pm »
Tom, same boat. Have an Expgal Comet but keep reading about all the crop of R2R ladder DACs and they do DSD even. The Denafrios Terminator DAC has piqued my interest. Had considered Lampizator but didn’t want to deal with the tubes.

-dave

sarora9

Bricast M1SE
« Reply #97 on: 18 Feb 2019, 02:19 am »
Bricasti M1SE.

Audio chain: Roon Rock -> Bricasti M5 streamer -> Bricasti M1SE -> Van Alstine SET 120 Amp

What I love about the Bricasti M1SE (i) combines great detail and resolution with musicality. Fantastic for Classical, and Good for rock/pop/jazz too. (ii) directly feeds the amp (sounds slightly better than using my van alstine preamp) (iii)  RCA/XLR outputs
also drive my Sennheiser 650 headphones. This seems to be an undocumented feature. *Much* better sound than my $500 Chord Mojo.  (iv) Has custom built in digital filters to tune the sound. I have settled on Minimum 2 filter.

Bricasti customer support is good too.

Tsmith

« Reply #98 on: 26 Feb 2019, 02:10 am »
Sent the NAD C658 back today. It’s a decent DAC but expected more from the price point especially from the Balanced Preouts which I’m still convinced are not fully balanced although never confirmed since NAD never responded to me.

Oppo Sonica is still my DAC of choice

sresener

« Reply #99 on: 4 Mar 2019, 03:53 pm »
Has anyone tried the gustard dacs yet. I am considering trying the x26 out