NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!

Bendingwave

• Restricted
Re: NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!
« Reply #3220 on: 6 Jan 2023, 12:26 pm »
For some entertainment I recorded my DML speakers.  I recommend using headphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpu7R4zTUZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FQLuQ3vP-A

GAFOptimizer

« Reply #3221 on: 22 Mar 2023, 12:05 am »
Hey Guys,
I decided to join this forum because it has been an incredible resource on my own DML journey. After watching that Tech Ingredients video, late last year, I decided to build my own set.

To my neighbours delight, I now have 8 panels on my wall, and a large subwoofer. The panels are made from XPS, coated with IPA/Water mix. They are divided into 2 'speakers', with 2x 60x125cm panels, and 2x 60x53cm panels each. Each panel has one Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 Exciter.
I live in this very weird shaped apartment. My kitchen/livingroom area has an open ceiling, so it goes over two stories, with dual height ceiling over a 7x3m area. Due to intersection with the roof, there are no windows in the second story. It leaves a large wall, which I thought was the perfect place to put DML panels to fill the entire room with sound.

The goal of this project was to supply decent sound to the room, that doesn't come from one blaring point source. I think this is especially important if it's background music. The other goal was that it should also be loud enough for partys.
Sound quality is a bonus. Not going for full audiophile, but better is better.

Anyway, after some prototyping and iterating, I now have a system I'm quite pleased with. I'm running a 4 Channel 500W PA Amp with an integrated DSP. Channel 1/2 are left and right panel, Channel 3 and 4 are bridged to power the 1000W sub. I used REW and a UMik-1 to set up the EQ and crossover. In my experience, the effect of the right EQ settings is absolutely critical. With the DMLs, it seems, that you can also be quite violent with the EQ. With extra power in some frequency region, they just get louder, instead of cracking and what not.

These are the frequency responses of my house curve, right panel, left panel, sub and all together.

I'm actually really happy with the result. My opinion might not be the most sophisticated one, but everybody I showed it to agreed, that it sounds great, and some of these people have serious tower speakers for way more money.

Anyway, I'm new to this whole audio thing. Just started reading up on stuff a few months ago. I still want to optimise. The system sounds good enough that it has sparked my ambition. So if anybody has some input, I'd be excited to hear about it!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3222 on: 22 Mar 2023, 10:55 am »
Congratulations, I will check the Dayton exciter.

sedge

« Reply #3223 on: 30 Mar 2023, 07:22 pm »
GAFOptimizer.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/a-study-of-dmls-as-a-full-range-speaker.272576/post-7284158

In this post on diyaudio I made a recording of 5mm XPS coated in epoxy,  which I prefer  on XPS ,rather than pva.
The recording was with me switching in and out the sub.
Steve.

sedge

« Reply #3224 on: 31 Mar 2023, 09:11 am »
A youtube video of two other panels I have made.
I have panels of all sizes now ,and different materials.
I have collected them over the years.

https://youtu.be/y5FJteHTGJA

Steve.

sedge

« Reply #3225 on: 31 Mar 2023, 10:47 am »
I have just added another recording on YouTube,  this time of a single panel made from strips of 3mm ply stuck together to make a dml panel.
It is used full range but only using  left channel only,no sub.
The microphone for the measurements is at the back of my seating position over 3m distance.
The hump in the midrange is the vocals,  as this panel has a very good flat response.
Steve.

GAFOptimizer

« Reply #3226 on: 2 Apr 2023, 09:10 am »
Hey Steve,

from what I can hear ist sounds great! Of course it's always difficult with the recording. I'll have to go through the attachments.
I looked at the diy audio post, maybe I really do need to do something about my LF response. It would be nice to XO a bit earlier. Did it improve a lot for you with the epoxy panels, it the wood?
The thing also is, a nice sheet of wood, with a nice finish might look a lot better. Also, I'm considering to not have 2 mid size panels but one really big one instead. But I'm also worried about driving it with more than one exciter, people seemed to have problems with that.

sedge

« Reply #3227 on: 16 Apr 2023, 12:26 pm »
GAFOptimizer.
The next panels I will put on YouTube will be my 5mm XPS panels with a thin  coating of epoxy.
The epoxy increases the HF performance, much better  than the pva.
I only use the pva on EPS, not XPS.
If applying epoxy to XPS I would not sand it first as this would soak up too much epoxy and make the panel too heavy and lower  efficiency.
I have not tried this on thicker XPS ,but it would be interesting to hear the results , if you are tempted.
Steve.

sedge

« Reply #3228 on: 16 Apr 2023, 12:58 pm »
Also if you look in my gallery you can see some of my early test panels, most of which I still have today.
But which I will be clearing out soon, I hope  :D
Steve.

alvipet

« Reply #3229 on: 7 Dec 2023, 06:18 am »
Good news from the exhibition, DML speakers showed a high level of this technology

https://youtu.be/honDkrXIS8c?si=GsG3R6lH1i3I36a_

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3230 on: 7 Dec 2023, 03:09 pm »
Good news from the exhibition, DML speakers showed a high level of this technology

https://youtu.be/honDkrXIS8c?si=GsG3R6lH1i3I36a_
Great sound quality in this video, camera dont move, seems another speaker IMO. Small NXT panels dont have this huge kind of bass or hi SPL.

alvipet

« Reply #3231 on: 8 Dec 2023, 01:14 am »
So you think it’s all a hoax on this channel?  :o

https://www.youtube.com/@osiposip

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #3232 on: 8 Dec 2023, 02:26 pm »
It can be listened that the music has a lot of room acoustics. When camera moves around, mainly behind the speakers the sound also should change.

alvipet

« Reply #3233 on: 9 Dec 2023, 05:19 am »
Yes, that's right, this is what open speaker systems sound like. DML is also an open type speaker. This sound is as close to natural as possible, the sound of live instruments and performers spreads in all directions, and not into a half-space as speakers placed in boxes do.