M3 Sapphire Spike Thread Size

Tangram

M3 Sapphire Spike Thread Size
« on: 26 Apr 2023, 09:51 pm »
Can anyone provide the thread size please? I am thinking about purchasing some IsoAcoustics Gaia IIs. Thanks.

RonN5

Re: M3 Sapphire Spike Thread Size
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2023, 02:07 pm »
Here is a post on the subject...but remember that the spikes screw into the conical footers...so not sure what size they are assuming you plan to eliminate them....it would be easy enough to take one of these footer off and go to a hardware store and see what size the thread on it is.

All the screw-in spikes are M6 size. My Shappries have a 3rd hole in the back base of the speakers so mine could use 3 spikes, 2 in the front and one in the back. I am guessing seeing that the GAIA come with M6 fittings I would guess you could just screw them in.

Tangram

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2023, 08:40 pm »
Thanks. Looks like we are good to go. I'd be interested in anybody's experience with the Gaias and the Spatials, with special reference to the type of flooring.

Mr. Big

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2023, 02:25 pm »
They really are designed for wood floors for optimum effect. You can buy the spike cups that slip on the feet if used on the carpet.  Keep in mind that you will be raising the speaker's higher so tone and imaging will be different, I am 6'4" and I have to slip down in my chair a bit to get better imaging and tone, and body.

Tangram

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2023, 10:16 pm »
I borrowed a friend’s Gaia IIs and spent a rainy late April afternoon in my basement man cave trying them on my M3 Sapphires. As Mr. Big mentioned, they raise the speakers an additional 1.5” so I also raised my listening position by 1.5”. They are very nicely made, but clutter the front of the speaker. The included spikes are a “cleaner” look.

My speakers sit on thick vinyl plank flooring glued to the concrete floor. In other words, not a springy, resonant surface. So I was skeptical going into this comparison. If anything, I had a negative confirmation bias (i.e. didn’t expect a difference.) I tried to limit variables as much as possible. My laser level and measuring tape got a good workout this afternoon. Because of the Gaia design, the Spatials were even “floppier” with them compared with the spikes.  It was very easy to get that baffle rocking with the push of a finger.

I used three well-recorded albums that have different elements of bass characteristics and I know them all well and listened to them at my reference level, which is around 85 db C-weighted peaks:

Aja
Love Deluxe (Sade)
Mezzanine (Massive Attack)

To my surprise, there was a difference in sound that was immediately obvious when I first listened with the Gaias (I’m very familiar with how the Spatials sound with the spikes, which probably accounts for how definitive the difference was.) There was additional “snap” to percussion. Instruments and voices that were prominent in the mix were even more so with the Gaias. There was a tiny uptick in clarity, demonstrated by the fact that I finally deciphered a couple of words in one of Sade’s songs for the first time.

But…in my room with my gear, there was a “dryness” to the sound (the image conjured was that the sound had been bleached.) Compared with just the spikes, the Spatials sounded more accurate, more analytical, and less romantic. If the spiked Spatials are shades of golden brown, the Gaias were pale gray. It was as though whatever tiny bit of room gain was left in my setup had been removed, but I didn’t necessarily like the new, “more accurate” presentation. Sorry, I know this description might seem wacky, but I listen with my eyes closed and these are the words that pop into my head.

Am I surprised the difference was obvious? Yes, absolutely. Other tweaks (cable risers, turntable weights) I’ve tried don’t change a thing and my modus operandi is to keep it as simple as possible. I also think that with time, I’d come to appreciate the sound with the Gaias more because, technically, they are doing what they are supposed to do, even with my non-resonant floor. Who would have thought that would be possible?

The Gaias aren’t cheap, especially considering they come in sets of eight and only six are required. I’m noodling on buying just one set and using them under the baffles, and leaving the rear footer spiked. But that may be a waste of time, which will require buying another set. But it’s worth a shot to save some cash.

Sorry about the photo orientation. I certainly didn’t take it that way!

RonN5

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2023, 11:56 pm »
I have the M3 sapphires placed on tile on concrete. I don’t use the spikes. I have the conical footers setting in plastic/foam furniture sliders… similar to herbies footer/sliders. I’d say the sound became more alive with the spikes eliminated.

Mr. Big

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2023, 04:39 am »
I borrowed a friend’s Gaia IIs and spent a rainy late April afternoon in my basement man cave trying them on my M3 Sapphires. As Mr. Big mentioned, they raise the speakers an additional 1.5” so I also raised my listening position by 1.5”. They are very nicely made, but clutter the front of the speaker. The included spikes are a “cleaner” look.

My speakers sit on thick vinyl plank flooring glued to the concrete floor. In other words, not a springy, resonant surface. So I was skeptical going into this comparison. If anything, I had a negative confirmation bias (i.e. didn’t expect a difference.) I tried to limit variables as much as possible. My laser level and measuring tape got a good workout this afternoon. Because of the Gaia design, the Spatials were even “floppier” with them compared with the spikes.  It was very easy to get that baffle rocking with the push of a finger.

I used three well-recorded albums that have different elements of bass characteristics and I know them all well and listened to them at my reference level, which is around 85 db C-weighted peaks:

Aja
Love Deluxe (Sade)
Mezzanine (Massive Attack)

To my surprise, there was a difference in sound that was immediately obvious when I first listened with the Gaias (I’m very familiar with how the Spatials sound with the spikes, which probably accounts for how definitive the difference was.) There was additional “snap” to percussion. Instruments and voices that were prominent in the mix were even more so with the Gaias. There was a tiny uptick in clarity, demonstrated by the fact that I finally deciphered a couple of words in one of Sade’s songs for the first time.

But…in my room with my gear, there was a “dryness” to the sound (the image conjured was that the sound had been bleached.) Compared with just the spikes, the Spatials sounded more accurate, more analytical, and less romantic. If the spiked Spatials are shades of golden brown, the Gaias were pale gray. It was as though whatever tiny bit of room gain was left in my setup had been removed, but I didn’t necessarily like the new, “more accurate” presentation. Sorry, I know this description might seem wacky, but I listen with my eyes closed and these are the words that pop into my head.

Am I surprised the difference was obvious? Yes, absolutely. Other tweaks (cable risers, turntable weights) I’ve tried don’t change a thing and my modus operandi is to keep it as simple as possible. I also think that with time, I’d come to appreciate the sound with the Gaias more because, technically, they are doing what they are supposed to do, even with my non-resonant floor. Who would have thought that would be possible?

The Gaias aren’t cheap, especially considering they come in sets of eight and only six are required. I’m noodling on buying just one set and using them under the baffles, and leaving the rear footer spiked. But that may be a waste of time, which will require buying another set. But it’s worth a shot to save some cash.

Sorry about the photo orientation. I certainly didn’t take it that way!

When you add something to the system spikes, even the type of spikes Herbie footers and on and on the sound will change, no different than adding a new power cord into a system. This I know that the spatial is not a dry, analytical speaker or gray nor is music in real life. So if they don't work with your system they don't work.  I've made changes then due to money spent and tried to talk myself into it that it was better but it did not take long for me to admit it sounded better before. Anything you add to a system will make a change in sound presentation, from damping gear to all the different footers and I've had some well-regarded ones that suck the bass out of the reproduction to such an extent the sound was like a cheap radio but there was a lot more detail that is for sure. I learned as I went on to spend money on room accoutics and speaker setup which takes time and I have gained more than any tweak ever could have given me.

Tangram

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2023, 01:10 pm »
I’m not an “absolute sound” guy. Rather I’m in the camp of getting the sound the way I like it. I also believe in “it’s good enough.” So I agree with you. I am fortunate in that I’ve borrowed the Gaias from a friend so certainly not trying to justify the sound because I’ve spent some hard-earned dollars on a tweak.

HOWEVER, I also believe that our brains become accustomed to the sound of our systems so we need to be patient when a change is introduced so I’ll live with the Gaias for a while and see what happens. For example, I know I have a 3 db SPL increase at around 50 Hz which I assume is the resonant frequency of the room but I actually have gotten used to this boost and like it it since Ilike a vit of bass boost anyway.

Trust me, if I can avoid spending $600 I will, especially since I prefer the look of the spikes and I’ll also need to buy a kit that’s available for my Stressless listening chair that raises it up about an inch.

RonN5

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2023, 02:10 pm »
I would also suggest that after you've live with them for a week or two...take them off and don't play your system for at least 3-4 days to let the brain reset.  Then play without the footers and see how the sound compares without them.

Mr. Big

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2023, 02:13 pm »
I would also suggest that after you've live with them for a week or two...take them off and don't play your system for at least 3-4 days to let the brain reset.  Then play without the footers and see how the sound compares without them.

That is a very good point and something I've always done. Changing the sound is easy but if it is better only going backward for a relisten tells you either way.

Mr. Big

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2023, 02:17 pm »
I’m not an “absolute sound” guy. Rather I’m in the camp of getting the sound the way I like it. I also believe in “it’s good enough.” So I agree with you. I am fortunate in that I’ve borrowed the Gaias from a friend so certainly not trying to justify the sound because I’ve spent some hard-earned dollars on a tweak.

HOWEVER, I also believe that our brains become accustomed to the sound of our systems so we need to be patient when a change is introduced so I’ll live with the Gaias for a while and see what happens. For example, I know I have a 3 db SPL increase at around 50 Hz which I assume is the resonant frequency of the room but I actually have gotten used to this boost and like it it since Ilike a vit of bass boost anyway.

Trust me, if I can avoid spending $600 I will, especially since I prefer the look of the spikes and I’ll also need to buy a kit that’s available for my Stressless listening chair that raises it up about an inch.

I also would try this and for my room and setup it was really an improvement and I just tried it to try it. The sound became more focused, with more detail and imaging and the bottom end. All due to just changing the back of the spiker spike from the short one, to one of the taller ones that came with the speakers, what it did was adjust the tilt of the speaker a bit more forward without being fact straight up which they sound they are capable off. So the 2 shorter spikes in the front and the one taller spike in the back. Cost zero but a few minutes of your time.

DaveWin88

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2023, 02:21 pm »
Tangram I appreciate your opinions and you have bought up some great points. One very important one is that our brains do adapt immediately and we do need patients (message to myself) in order to hear what is really going on. I know you guys with the M3's, the big fifteens are probably more concerned about having too much bass, so you probably could benefit greatly from isolation like the Gaias. In my case with the M6 and the 10inch drivers, I'm in the camp of not having enough potentially if you will of bass. Mr Big is spot on in so many ways it's not even funny. I just recently purchased some Herbie spike puckies and just as Mr big has said, it just stripped all the bass away in a very non natural way. Yes it is more detailed, but us OB Spatial owners have detail in spades at it is :) plus I just was very very fortunate to be able to upgrade my front-end (JC5) and honestly it's not very engaging at the moment. I'm finding that the supplied spike doohickies that come with the Spatials are my best bet. Thank you guys for all the great insight.

Mr. Big

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2023, 02:21 am »
Tangram I appreciate your opinions and you have bought up some great points. One very important one is that our brains do adapt immediately and we do need patients (message to myself) in order to hear what is really going on. I know you guys with the M3's, the big fifteens are probably more concerned about having too much bass, so you probably could benefit greatly from isolation like the Gaias. In my case with the M6 and the 10inch drivers, I'm in the camp of not having enough potentially if you will of bass. Mr Big is spot on in so many ways it's not even funny. I just recently purchased some Herbie spike puckies and just as Mr big has said, it just stripped all the bass away in a very non natural way. Yes it is more detailed, but us OB Spatial owners have detail in spades at it is :) plus I just was very very fortunate to be able to upgrade my front-end (JC5) and honestly it's not very engaging at the moment. I'm finding that the supplied spike doohickies that come with the Spatials are my best bet. Thank you guys for all the great insight.

My speakers are on a thick carpet with an 8lb carpet pad under it. I have enjoyed the spatial with no spikes. Like a few other of my speakers I've owned. Spikes became expected on speakers and some really experienced audiophiles and one who does primary setup at shows sans spike, lets the speakers sit naturally. I have always told folks to give that a try on carpet floors with a pad, even just so you can hear the difference sans spikes. I use the taller spike on the back and its works much, much better than the small spike that comes with the speakers, now if you are on wood floors that would be different but I would still try the taller spike so the speaker is tilted a little more forward instead of has much back, and depending on how far away you are you may find that better, and might find no spikes better, just try and learn that impact and it is an education.

Tangram

« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2023, 03:16 pm »
So I’ve continued to demo the Gaias over the weekend (rainy days are good for something other than the flowers!) It’s funny how, just involving yourself in a simple task gets you thinking, and then you realize the simple task isn’t as simple as you thought.

I removed the entire spike from the Spatials and now have the Gaias screwed directly into the speakers. Thanks Clayton for having the forethought to use the same screw size for both parts of the spike! The look is now cleaner and acceptable to my eyes, although the spikes still look better. In doing so, the speakers are no longer tilted back, which makes me wonder if the tilt is a design feature that time aligns the drivers? Thoughts, people? The new Spatials (with the Gaias fitted) appear vertical so who knows (except Clayton!)

The second thing I’m chewing on is tweeter height. With my normal setup (with spikes), the M3 tweeters are two inches above my ears (I’m 6’2” but my chair, a Stressless, is low-slung) and more than two inches higher with the Gaias installed. Again, is having the tweeters above ear level a design feature or should they be at the same height as my ears? FWIW, in line sounds fine to me, but so does having the tweeters higher than my ears.

The more I listen with the Gaias, the more I appreciate how much they have “cleaned up” the sound. If the speakers were a camera lens, with spikes the sound is slightly “out of focus” but with the Gaias the focus is spot on. Honestly, the effect is uncanny. And, as I cycle through more of my reference recordings, I’m realizing that those with leaner bass were likely recorded that way because some of my records have such fulsome bass that I wouldn’t want anymore, whereas those same records always sounded too bass-heavy before.

I really thought the Gaias would be a bust when used sitting on vinyl glued to concrete. Springy hardwood seemed a much better setup to improve the sound. That was my bias going into this test. But their effect elevates the sound enough that I’m leaning heavily towards buying a set. I will continue listening for a day or more, then go back to the spikes and see how much I miss the Gaias before committing to a purchase. Regardless, it’s been a fun experiment.

Mr. Big

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2023, 03:36 pm »
So I’ve continued to demo the Gaias over the weekend (rainy days are good for something other than the flowers!) It’s funny how, just involving yourself in a simple task gets you thinking, and then you realize the simple task isn’t as simple as you thought.

I removed the entire spike from the Spatials and now have the Gaias screwed directly into the speakers. Thanks Clayton for having the forethought to use the same screw size for both parts of the spike! The look is now cleaner and acceptable to my eyes, although the spikes still look better. In doing so, the speakers are no longer tilted back, which makes me wonder if the tilt is a design feature that time aligns the drivers? Thoughts, people? The new Spatials (with the Gaias fitted) appear vertical so who knows (except Clayton!)

The second thing I’m chewing on is tweeter height. With my normal setup (with spikes), the M3 tweeters are two inches above my ears (I’m 6’2” but my chair, a Stressless, is low-slung) and more than two inches higher with the Gaias installed. Again, is having the tweeters above ear level a design feature or should they be at the same height as my ears? FWIW, in line sounds fine to me, but so does having the tweeters higher than my ears.

The more I listen with the Gaias, the more I appreciate how much they have “cleaned up” the sound. If the speakers were a camera lens, with spikes the sound is slightly “out of focus” but with the Gaias the focus is spot on. Honestly, the effect is uncanny. And, as I cycle through more of my reference recordings, I’m realizing that those with leaner bass were likely recorded that way because some of my records have such fulsome bass that I wouldn’t want anymore, whereas those same records always sounded too bass-heavy before.

I really thought the Gaias would be a bust when used sitting on vinyl glued to concrete. Springy hardwood seemed a much better setup to improve the sound. That was my bias going into this test. But their effect elevates the sound enough that I’m leaning heavily towards buying a set. I will continue listening for a day or more, then go back to the spikes and see how much I miss the Gaias before committing to a purchase. Regardless, it’s been a fun experiment.

With your height change and less tilt back, both combined will change the sound due to just the speaker's position changes. Even if you went with all say 2"taller spikes all around front and back the sound would have changed. In the end its what you like and no one can tell you that but your own ear and sonic tastes.