USB Cable Recommendation REW / Start in Comp Audio

AllanS

I need to run a 15' USB A to USB B cable from a desktop to my preamp/DAC to run REW.  Since I have to buy a cable anyway I thought it might be a good time to leave the cable plugged in and begin dabbling in DSD/computer audio.  Other than a Bluesound Vault 2i I have no digital experience.

My basic question is do I need to worry about the cable that I buy?  The Monoprice option is less than $3.00.

Maybe a more fundamental question is am I wasting my time trying to do DSD over USB from a desktop.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: USB Cable Recommendation REW / Start in Comp Audio
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2023, 04:21 pm »
I run a custom built desktop as my music server via usb to my DAC.  It is not a waste of time. 

Don't buy a cheap monoprice usb cable.  Usb cables do make a difference.  You will want a decent cable for a 15' run othewise you may get drop outs.  You might see if a company like Wireworld will make a custom 15' usb cable.

https://wireworldcable.com/collections/usb-audio-cables

Or, try Ghentaudio.  He makes custom usb cables that are inexpensive and sound great.  I recently bought one and it sounds way better than all my cables that cost over $200.

https://www.ghentaudio.com/usb/u01.html

AllanS

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2023, 02:19 am »
Many thanks.  I appreciate your recommendations and encouragement. 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2023, 05:43 pm »
Supra Excalibur. This is a great USB cable but may not be suited for a bright system. I have one and compared it against my Network Acoustics Muon. The Muon is in another league price wise and benefits from filtering but the Excalibur sounded more present than the rest of my USB cables. I believe you can get a custom length as well.