HAL Magnetar II baffle testing

HAL

HAL Magnetar II baffle testing
« on: 6 Feb 2023, 04:15 pm »
First test baffles for the HAL Magnetar II open baffle planar speaker.  Trying for 190Hz to 20KHz from a single planar driver.  Below 190Hz will be either a 2x12 of 3x12 servo sub stack.

Will be setting it up with the prototype dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover for the work and listening.

Work is progressing on the production version dspNexus 2x8 at Danville Signal.  Looking forward to trying it out with these as they should be released before AXPONA 2023.

HAL

Re: HAL Magnetar II baffle testing
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2023, 01:49 am »
The HAL Magnetar II planars are wired up and the Orchard Audio Starkrimson GaN Class D monoblocks are setup for testing. 

Next is DSP crossover setup for the dspNexus 2x8 for testing.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2023, 02:08 pm »
Are you using the new 300W power supplies? Would like to hear your opinion on the differences from the 250W one.

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2023, 02:15 pm »
Leo,
Yes, I have the new 300W GaN power supplies for testing with the Starkrimson amps.

I am working on the dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover for them to drive the amps.  Hope the new software updates I received work with the dspNexus to try out the new switching functions. 

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2023, 12:18 pm »
For reference to the earlier thread, this is the Radian LM10n planar installed in the baffle for testing.

Finishing up dspNexus 2x8 firmware testing, then back to testing the speaker.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2023, 02:28 pm »
I'm gonna follow this.  It looks fascinating.  With active EQ you can get that thing to go up to 20KHz without having too much of a spike where it beams (which is probably around 12KHz).  This could be really good.

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2023, 02:33 pm »
I have some other ideas of how to correct the beaming.   :thumb:

DannyBadorine

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2023, 03:15 pm »
I have some other ideas of how to correct the beaming.   :thumb:
Very cool!

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2023, 01:34 am »
Do the wings need to be unequal in length or can they be equal?  In my room the left speaker is three feet from the wall, and the right is about ten feet to the wall. It is the kitchen area with a island counter top about four feet from the speaker and about three feet high.

My concern is that the unequal wings depend on the wall for reflections and that it would not sound right in my room. With the equal wings it may sound more balanced out?

Thanks for all the updates, I am interested in the crossover also.

HAL

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2023, 01:47 am »
The assymetrical wings keeps the rear output from going into horn loading, so this solves that for this design. 

Other mfg's have done symmetrical rear wings but then add damping in the horn throat to reduce the output. 

One thing to think of is that the output at 90 degrees to the front baffle on the short wing side are nulls.  That minimizes sidewall reflections in that direction.

I do recommend diffusion on the front wall for this design. 

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2023, 04:53 am »
Ok, Thank You.

That makes sense. :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2023, 02:09 am »
Starting tomorrow, testing of the Magnetar 2 speakers begins.  Will be using the new powered measurement mic option of the dspNexus 2x8 prototype as the latest firmware update has the options for use included.  Have a Behringer ECM8000 with calibration data files to try with Room EQ Wizard for the measurements. 

The dspNexus 2x8 prototype is on the shelf waiting on balanced connections to the Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblock amps connected with 2ft of Analysis Plus Clear Oval 14 speaker cable.  The monoblock sits on the end of the planar folded baffle.  An Intel NUC i5 will be running AudioWeaver for dspNexus 2x8 programming.

New room treatments arrive on Wednesday to install that are portable and hopefully going to LSAF2023 in Dallas, TX for the show.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2023, 01:56 pm »
Excellent!

HAL

« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2023, 11:03 pm »
Have the dspNexus 2x8 connected to the Magnetar 2 monoblocks amp and new Rythmik Audio A370XLR3 Servo Amp. The Behringer ECM8000 is connected to the mic input for measurement use. 

The mic ADC output goes to the USB2 output data for PC or MAC use with your measurement program. In this case will use Room EQ Wizard compared to CLIO Pocket system for crossover testing with the speaker.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2023, 01:21 pm »
Rich, it's always cool to see what you're coming up with. Something tells me it's going to sound gooood when everyone else gets to listen as well. Pretty amazing what the new dspNexus system can do from what I've read so far. Looking forward to seeing (hearing?) the results.  :popcorn:

HAL

« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2023, 01:29 pm »
Rich, it's always cool to see what you're coming up with. Something tells me it's going to sound gooood when everyone else gets to listen as well. Pretty amazing what the new dspNexus system can do from what I've read so far. Looking forward to seeing (hearing?) the results.  :popcorn:
nlitworld,
Trying to bring DSP into excellent music production and reproduction has been an interesting journey.  I think this is finally what I have wanted for a long time for both.

For anyone going to AXPONA 2023 starting today, Danville Signal has the dspNexus 2x8 in room 356 to demo with The Monoliths speakers. 

Hope folks stop by for a listen.  They are streaming with Qobuz, so you can listen to what you know.

HAL

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2023, 01:25 pm »
The latest version of dspNexus 2x8 firmware is now installed and has the measurement mic input on the front panel operational.   :D

Have it working with Room EQ Wizard latest version and will be making Magnetar II speaker measurements with the new Radian LM10n planar.  Did some mono listening and the test XO sounds really good!  Now to tweak it with measurements for the correct XO EQ.   :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2023, 12:42 am »
After the first round of testing and crossover develoment for the Magnetar II speakers, the single Radian LM10n now has this frequency and phase response.  The major divisions on the graph are 5dB.

Next will be testing the servo sub stack to set the DSP crossover to the LFE input of the Rythmik Audio A370XLR3 servo amps for the open baffle H-Frames.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2023, 01:30 am »
Impressive results!! 

What was the raw response like of the driver before correction?

HAL

« Reply #19 on: 1 May 2023, 02:18 am »
This is the before with just a high filter and baffle step correction in the baffle.  Would be interesting to see someone attempt this with a passive XO.  The Radian LM10n also appears to have a version of the BG NEO3 style PDR capability to widen horizontal dispersion.  I see no need for a tweeter with this planar in the baffle.  I listened to the planar speaker without the final corrections and it had a wide horizontal dispersion.