Cleaning vinyl before and after by hand

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
Cleaning vinyl before and after by hand
« on: 14 Aug 2018, 01:58 pm »
I rinse in cold water then use a micro pore soft sponge with ivory pure, rinse and immediately dry with soft cloth’s.  It can take a cleaning playing and repeat cleaning to debris deep grime and dirt.  Well worth it when you can find gems for $1.00 at thrifts.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Cleaning vinyl before and after by hand
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2018, 02:25 pm »
There are lots of threads here about vinyl cleaning.  If you are going to pursue records as a significant portion of you listening, I'd highly recommend either a vacuum record cleaner, or even better, build an ultrasonic cleaner.  Each is a big step up from washing and wiping. 

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2018, 02:46 pm »
In due time

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2018, 04:30 pm »
as a general rule washing with tap water is an absolute 'no -no', depending on the water way too manny minerals and other nasties. At a minimum buy yourself a couple of gallons of distilled water and while your at it get a 'spin clean' ( https://spincleanrecordwasher.com), much better than what you're doing .

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2018, 04:54 pm »
Twitch:

You can use tap water if you immediately wipe dry and then use record cleaner and a brush without the nasties from the tap water.  I will end up getting a spin cleaning machine and with it, purified/distilled water only.

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2018, 05:56 pm »
WireNut

Thanks!

WireNut

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2018, 08:01 pm »
Your welcome and don't forget to read ALL 87 pages of the first link  :rules: :slap: :)

twitch54

« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2018, 08:29 pm »
Twitch:

You can use tap water if you immediately wipe dry and then use record cleaner and a brush without the nasties from the tap water.  I will end up getting a spin cleaning machine and with it, purified/distilled water only.

considering you can buy distilled water for less than a dollar a gallon your logic makes no sense !   Think about it.......if your tap water is 'hard' (well water like mine) 'wiping it dry' LEAVES the nasties behind ! Clean it first with your cleaning solution of choice, THEN rinse it with proper water and dry.

For the 'record', I've only been spinning 'black pizza' for over fifty years .......

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2018, 09:35 pm »
Dish soap leaves some residue as well. I use a pure sufracant (NOT photoflo)

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2018, 12:19 am »
All that said, I’m going old school and using titebond.  Once it dries clear it is ready to peel off with all the nasties.  Takes more time, the results are outstanding.  I use a small piece of paper to help with the peeling process, usually comes off in one piece from memory.  The key is waiting till it’s completely dry, about 12 hours.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2018, 02:26 am »
I've never tried that, but read lots of good things. Eager to hear how it works for you.   
 However, glue isn't as cheap as it used to be.  I'll stick with my ultrasonic cleaner with water and a bit of alcohol. 

Photon46

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2018, 10:08 am »
Gel school glue is easier to remove than other types of glue in my experience and works just as well. Also, as it's water soluble, a post glue cleaning removes any worries that a left over bit of glue could wreck havoc with a your stylus. To make removal easier after drying, I leave a little paper tab the size of a ph test strip in the edge of the glue. While I use vacuum cleaning as the cleaning method of choice, both steam and glue are worthwhile alternatives for the odd stubborn cleaning problem. Definitely want to get an ultrasonic cleaner one day. 

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2018, 01:47 pm »
Phototon46:

You are right about the type of glue, I’ve been using titebond and it tends to peel in pieces.  That said, the results are very impressive.  A couple of lp’s that I have done are now like new, a couple still have skips that may be incurable. Will put them aside until my spin cleaner arrives.  Will be getting some Elmer’s😏

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2018, 10:34 pm »
What I’ve noticed, the better the vinyl and pressing, the better the sound and clean up better.  Some only require a brush with cleaner.  With that I have a spin cleaning system coming to me.  Nothing fancy, but should be the trick until I have a large enough vinyl collection to afford a better cleaning system. I also have to accept the fact that every record can’t be saved 🤕. On the other side, it’s rewarding saving them👌👍😎