Stereophile review?

macdane

Stereophile review?
« on: 13 Mar 2019, 05:18 am »
This may be an odd request, but I'm trying to track down a Stereophile review from the '90s. I don't remember which Well Tempered product was being reviewed, but it was the most fun description of the Firebaugh approach I've ever read ... perhaps a Corey Greenberg piece? Seems like it started with a protracted imagining of Firebaugh's Rube Goldbergian method for making breakfast.

Not much to go on, I know, but hopefully it'll ring a bell for someone!

Spin Lps

Re: Stereophile review?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:06 am »
I could not locate the review on the internet, but I was able to find this:

Footnote 2: Corey Greenberg reviewed an earlier incarnation of the Well Tempered Record Player in the July 1991 Stereophile (Vol.14 No.7).—Ed.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-47-page-2#B3ZHgCH1vdZtchFh.99

I have that issue somewhere, but it is packed away. You may be able to purchase this back issue from Stereophile if you contact them.

macdane

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2019, 06:00 am »
Thanks, I'll look into it!

Apesbrain

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2019, 01:35 pm »
"That [sand-filled tonearm] may have contributed to the findings of Stereophile founder J. Gordon Holt, who first wrote about the WT Tonearm in 1984, and who declared that Firebaugh's tonearm was the first in his experience to prevent the average moving-coil cartridge of the day from sounding bright, overly aggressive, and altogether unlistenable. More important, JGH suggested that the reason for the improvement was no mere euphonic distortion, but rather that the WT Tonearm did a better job of preventing unwanted resonant energy from adding its gritty fingerprint to the sound."

That JGH was a pretty bright man.