Inferno~200 Class D Stereo Amplifier

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
Inferno~200 Class D Stereo Amplifier
« on: 6 Sep 2013, 09:51 pm »
This thread is intended for Inferno~200 discussion and support.

We are going to start from the beginning, since we are actually still at the beginning with this project and will post a lot of pictures. Are you ready  :thumb:

For the longest time, Jas and i have loved to machine large blocks of aluminum, the CNC mills just chew up the aluminum like bubble gum. We could easily purchase a stamped steel chassis for 10% of the cost but wheres the fun in that. With our fully machined cases, you get a very unique amp that only a hand full of audio companies offer and they offer this at a much higher profit margin than ours.

Shown below are the final production CAD models, they were drawn in Gibbs CAM 2013+. This program also has a very extensive CAM platform(computer aided machining). We machine everything off the CAD models and can instantly generate run times before we machine to maximize speed.

The case will measure 2.5" tall by 13.4" wide by 10" deep. Rough weight estimate will be right around 20lbs fully assembled. Amplification will be provided by 200ASC Ice Power board. It will provide 100watts@8ohms and 200watts@4ohms to each of the two channels.

A lot of thought went into the cover to incorporate both style and proper ventilation.

To reduce costs the amps will not be screen printed or laser engraved but rather machined engraved prior to anodizing. The Aluminati Sound logo will be a buffed stainless piece. It will be black lit using red LEDs.

Picture showing pocket for LEDs.

High quality connectors will be used through out the amps. Both XLR and SE (RCA) can be used with a flick of the toggle switch. Speakers are connected to the 5 way binding posts. The amp is intended to stay on as it uses hardly any power at idle but a power switch is provided at the power input if need be.

We take pride in these pictures. It takes a long time to design and perfect the interior layout of these cases. Everything was done for a reason to provide the best sounding amplifiers.

Separated from the interior space as the amp modules, is the power inputs. This reduces interference greatly.

The first Inferno~200 will be produced this weekend.

Standard finishes are black and clear anodizing but other colors options are possibly for an up charge.

Our amplifiers come with a 2 year all parts and labor warranty.

We are selling the Inferno~200 for $1,250 shipped.

If you are interested in the very first 200, please pm or email us at aluminatisound@gmail.com.

More pictures to come this weekend :)

Best,
Matt and Jas

UPDATE

Made the very first Inferno this morning, we'll make the stainless logo piece later this week and it will be ready to test!

The block of aluminum for the case weighed in at 35lbs when we started and now weighs 9.5lbs, a lose of 25.5lbs!!!

A few things had to be tweaked while we were running, like recessing the RCA jacks further and adding more clearance for the IEC input but it's very easy to adjust things on the fly.

Machined aluminum can scratch very easily, even with your finger nails if you rub it enough, so we have always prep'd our cases before anodizing with 3m scotch brite and it really makes for a nice finish. You can see in the pictures, the first set are at the shop with a machined finish and those at my house after being scotch'd.

Tomorrow we'll bring the amp to a packaging service center just down the road to get some custom boxes made with foam inserts and will use these to ship our amps to customers.

More updates to come after test assembly, anodizing and final assembly. We should have a 100% completed amp in a few weeks.

Best,
Matt and Jas

UPDATE

We contacted Ice Power and the Ice Power amp modules are UL listed :thumb:

This morning we made the stainless logo pieces, tested the LEDs and they look fantastic!!

As you can see in the pictures, we test fit all the connectors and 200ASC amp boards and everything went together without a hitch. Off to anodizing tomorrow afternoon. We hope to have the very first completed ready to ship Inferno~200 amp by early next week  :D

Best,
Matt and Jas

We got some time to take a few shots of the Inferno~200 after anodizing. The black anodizing sure does look pretty and will be wired up in the next few days :)

Best,
Matt and Jas

Just a few quick pictures.

Better ones will be posted tomorrow, with some internal shots too, to show off our wiring :)

Best,
Matt and Jas

All done folks and boy does it sound fantastic!! We had lunch at my house today, both Jas and I really want one now :) But will probably make a few extra Diablo~500's  :thumb:

We'll be creating a FS thread just for this amp later tonight. It is a true one of a kind amp, since we are making one of them but it does come with a 2 year full coverage warranty!

Best,
Matt and Jas
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2013, 04:36 am by AluminatiSound »

Freo-1

Re: Introducing the Inferno~200 Class D Stereo Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2013, 10:11 pm »
Love the chassis work.
What modules are being used? (ICE, Hypex, something else?)

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2013, 10:17 pm »
Love the chassis work.
What modules are being used? (ICE, Hypex, something else?)

We are using Ice Power modules. From listening tests, we find it hard to tell the differences between the Ice Power modules and other class D module manufactures (Abletec, Hypex, Class D Audio).

Best,
Matt and Jas

cab

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2013, 11:28 pm »
which abletec module have you tested?

audiogoober

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2013, 11:34 pm »

The first Inferno~200 will be produced this weekend.

Standard finishes are black and clear anodizing but other colors options are possibly for an up charge.

Our amplifiers come with a 2 year all parts and labor warranty.

We are selling the Inferno~200 for $1,350 shipped. This price might change up or down as we are not 100% sure on anodizing costs quite yet.

If you are interested in the very first 200, please pm or email us at aluminatisound@gmail.com.

More pictures to come this weekend :)

Best,
Matt and Jas

:drool:
:no_see:

THANK YOU MATT & JAS!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Please keep us posted with more info and photos! If there's going to be a demo unit available at some point to go "on tour" for a few of us to try, please mark me down for an audition. I'd love to give this a listen and post some comments.

AC'ers:

I must say that Matt Kraemer/Alumiati has been a pleasure to deal with. A++ with design, fabrication, assembly, service/communication, etc. etc.

With all buyers, it comes down to three things about their purchase:

Quality. Service. Price.

In my experiences, you generally won't find businesses who can provide you with the "best" of all three things (best quality, best service and the best prices). I'm sure there are a few more hidden gems out there, but I personally only know of two companies who fit the description above in the audio arena..... ALUMINATI (and Daedalus Audio).

I have no affiliation with either company.

Greg

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2013, 11:52 pm »
which abletec module have you tested?

Hi Cab,

We purchased an ALC1000 and found it be a very good module but it is not as stable as the ASP Ice Power modules into low loads.

Best,
Matt and Jas

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2013, 12:01 am »
Matt & Jas,

Very nice  :rock:

Best,
Anand.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2013, 12:20 am »
The original post says you are using the 200ASC modules, but the most recent post says "We purchased an ALC1000 and found it be a very good module but it is not as stable as the ASP Ice Power modules into low loads".

So are you in fact using the ASC vs. the ASP ICEpower modules?

Is their any sort of custom input module to increase the input impedance for compatibility with a wider range of preamplifiers?

Steve

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2013, 12:57 am »
The original post says you are using the 200ASC modules, but the most recent post says "We purchased an ALC1000 and found it be a very good module but it is not as stable as the ASP Ice Power modules into low loads".

So are you in fact using the ASC vs. the ASP ICEpower modules?

Is their any sort of custom input module to increase the input impedance for compatibility with a wider range of preamplifiers?

Steve

Hi Steve,

When i referenced the Abletec ALC1000, i was saying we listened to this module before deciding on Ice Power. The 200ASC is the board going into Inferno amp.

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of manufactures that make awesome class D modules but we decided on Ice Power.

There are no custom input buffers on the Inferno or Diablo amps, we used a tube pre amp last month when we were testing the Ice Power boards and we could not hear a drop in high frequencies. Only a select few tube pre amps have a very HIGH output impedance.

Best,
Matt and Jas

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2013, 01:46 am »
Today we picked up material for the first Inferno amp. The block weighs in at 35lbs and will lose around 20lbs from machining. We are excited to start machining tomorrow!!

Please refer back to the OP in this thread, as we'll add more pictures and information about the amplifier as things progress.

Best,
Matt and Jas

InfernoSTi

« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2013, 02:00 am »
Beautiful (and I couldn't think of a better name)!  Very nice...thank you for your work.

Best,
John

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 7 Sep 2013, 02:04 am »
Beautiful (and I couldn't think of a better name)!  Very nice...thank you for your work.

Best,
John

Hi John,

It just came to us one day and we are running with it. Can't think of anything better  :D

Best,
Matt and Jas

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 7 Sep 2013, 03:10 am »
:drool:
:no_see:

THANK YOU MATT & JAS!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Please keep us posted with more info and photos! If there's going to be a demo unit available at some point to go "on tour" for a few of us to try, please mark me down for an audition. I'd love to give this a listen and post some comments.

AC'ers:

I must say that Matt Kraemer/Alumiati has been a pleasure to deal with. A++ with design, fabrication, assembly, service/communication, etc. etc.

With all buyers, it comes down to three things about their purchase:

Quality. Service. Price.

In my experiences, you generally won't find businesses who can provide you with the "best" of all three things (best quality, best service and the best prices). I'm sure there are a few more hidden gems out there, but I personally only know of two companies who fit the description above in the audio arena..... ALUMINATI (and Daedalus Audio).

I have no affiliation with either company.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the kind words. Soon you'll be enjoying your custom amps :)

Best,
Matt and Jas

WireNut

« Reply #13 on: 7 Sep 2013, 03:37 am »
Hi Matt and Jas,

Boy I envy you guys.
I'm a 33 year CNC machinist with 15 years Surfcam experience and would love to be building/designing audio gear with you two.
Nobody builds enclosures out of solid aluminum that I'm aware of. :thumb:
All the best to you both.

WireNut

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 7 Sep 2013, 04:52 pm »
Hi Matt and Jas,

Boy I envy you guys.
I'm a 33 year CNC machinist with 15 years Surfcam experience and would love to be building/designing audio gear with you two.
Nobody builds enclosures out of solid aluminum that I'm aware of. :thumb:
All the best to you both.

WireNut

Hi WireNut,

Thanks for the warm wishes. We use to have both Gibbs and Surfcam in the shop but moved over to all Gibbs just a few years ago. I primarily do surfacing/3d machining and 4th axis work. Those kinds of parts can be stressful but they are a fun challenge!

Best,
Matt and Jas

cab

« Reply #15 on: 7 Sep 2013, 04:58 pm »
Seems like there are many people selling ice and other module amps. Your strength is obviously the casework. You might consider simply selling custom cases as there are no real competitors in that market...Best of luck.

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 7 Sep 2013, 05:03 pm »
Seems like there are many people selling ice and other module amps. Your strength is obviously the casework. You might consider simply selling custom cases as there are no real competitors in that market...Best of luck.

Hi cab,

You are correct, only a few companies do cases like us but for now we are going to sell complete products. In the future we might do cases in 2ru,3 and 4 and the end user would just have to drill a few holes were needed and they'd have an awesome case for their project.

Best,
Matt and Jas

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #17 on: 7 Sep 2013, 05:45 pm »
Selling cases only would also let you off the hook in terms of being able to provide customer support, looking to the future, and jumping through the hoops of getting UL approval - or maybe you don't need that in the USA.
In Canada, anything that is marketed and plugs in to the wall needs a CSA approval sticker. Recently that requirement has been amended so  that UL approval is equivalent and sufficient, but one or the other is needed to stay within the law.

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2013, 02:01 am »
Selling cases only would also let you off the hook in terms of being able to provide customer support, looking to the future, and jumping through the hoops of getting UL approval - or maybe you don't need that in the USA.
In Canada, anything that is marketed and plugs in to the wall needs a CSA approval sticker. Recently that requirement has been amended so  that UL approval is equivalent and sufficient, but one or the other is needed to stay within the law.

Hi Russell,

We are looking into this, the Ice Power modules are pre approved for safety by CSA but we will try to get the UL cert :)

Best,
Matt and Jas

srb

« Reply #19 on: 8 Sep 2013, 02:36 am »
Even if the modules themselves have CSA or UL approval, installing them into a case that has an AC mains connector wired to the board does not necessarily carry the certification to the completed appliance.

Steve