A really basic question about CD-R discs

Doublej

A really basic question about CD-R discs
« on: 24 Jul 2007, 02:20 am »
My girlfriend bought a bunch of CD-R discs. The packaging says it can hold 80 minutes of music or 700MB of data.

She proceeds to burn 240 songs to CD-R using iTunes. iTunes keeps asking for another disc until 14 discs have been written to. I look at the discs and each one has about 70MB of consumed space.

Why didn't iTunes write 700MB worth of songs to each CD-R?

SET Man

Re: A really basic question about CD-R discs
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2007, 05:02 am »
Hey!

Strange. I do use iTune to burn music CD sometime. :D

And if the total files size of songs of which to be burn exceeded the CDR the iTune will ask and warn me that more than one disc will be needed before I start burning.

Also, most of the time I only burn CDR using AIFF or ALF (Apple Lossless File)

Since you are burning 240 songs I assumed that file is MP3 right?

Still I have no idea why you experience this problem. :dunno: Did you check the Preference setting?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2007, 05:17 am »
I'm not familiar with I-tunes. But I suspect your using your write program wrong. First off if I-tunes is a compressed format then you have to use the Data disc setting instead of Music disc. Also some  formats aren't supported by the write program unless you pay extra for them.
Usually there is a bar graph that indicates how much info you've added to the disc. You keep adding tracks 'til the graph is full. When it has more than 700 MB it usually shows red at the end of the graph.

Rashiki

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2007, 05:23 am »
Music CDs are recorded with uncompressed data. When iTunes writes the CD, it will first decompress the file, then write it to CD in uncompressed form. Each of those files will consume far more than the average 70MB of file size. When you're creating an audio CD you have to consider the length of each song rather than the file size. If each song was 5 minutes long, you'd only be able to write 16 songs (16 x 5min = 80min).

-Rob

Thump553

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2007, 10:59 pm »
If you want a CDR full of mp3's burn it as data.  As the others suggested, it sounds like your burning program is converting the mp3s to wav files and then burning the CDR as an ordinary audio disc.  If you check your final product (CDR) you should see about 80 minutes of music on it.