My SB3 won't start.Internal SB3 fuse?

rajacat

• Washington State
My SB3 won't start.Internal SB3 fuse?
« on: 1 May 2007, 09:21 am »
My SB3 won't start :(. I had a short in my amp and now the Power One PS does not put out power and my SB3 will not even start when I use the factory supplied PS. There must be some protection......I hope! No music. :cry:

Raj

F-100

Re: My SB3 won't start.Internal SB3 fuse?
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2007, 01:19 pm »
Did you check to see if there is 5v coming out of your Power-One PS?
I ran into the same problem with my SB3 before and I just let it unplug for several hours and it came back alive. :)

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2007, 02:04 pm »
Send your SB3 to F-100, he's now a fully qualified SB3 modder, and he will fix it and upgrade it for you .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

F-100

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2007, 02:23 pm »
95bcwh,
   I'm not a "fully qualified SB3 modder". That is false advertising....   :lol: :lol:

Raj,
  Did you check the fuse in your Power-One too?

avta

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2007, 02:32 pm »
Rajacat:
I think it's always best to check with the manufacturer first. Slimdevices has always been responsive to my questions. Why not email or call their customer support?
Guy

tanchiro58

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2007, 05:12 pm »
now the Power One PS does not put out power

Rajacat,

If you use the Power One PS there must be a problem of the transistor (it could be burned once you has a shortage from the outlet if I am not wrong). I had the same problem before I found out that transistor burned and after replacing the new one my DIY PS works fine. It is located under the PS-One. Good luck.

Tan

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2007, 05:23 pm »
95bcwh,
   I'm not a "fully qualified SB3 modder". That is false advertising....   :lol: :lol:

Raj,
  Did you check the fuse in your Power-One too?

I have checked all external fuses. This morning I tried to start the SB3 again with the factory PS and again it didn't start.

Here's what happened. I just got my Scott LK-48 integrated back from being repaired to correct a right channel buzz. I connected everything up and plugged in the Scott. There was a brief fizzle spark sound and I immediately cut the power. I had failed to notice that the Scott's main fuse and cover had been removed for shipping. I checked the SB3 and when I touched the DC ps cord from the PowerOne I got a slight shock :? I shut everything down and now the SB3 won't start. The amp works fine. SB won't fire up even with the stock ps that puts out a good 5V.

Raj

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2007, 05:25 pm »
now the Power One PS does not put out power

Rajacat,

If you use the Power One PS there must be a problem of the transistor (it could be burned once you has a shortage from the outlet if I am not wrong). I had the same problem before I found out that transistor burned and after replacing the new one my DIY PS works fine. It is located under the PS-One. Good luck.

Tan

Tan,

I think that F100 gave me a link for that transistor.

Thanks,

Raj

tanchiro58

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2007, 10:36 pm »
when I touched the DC ps cord from the PowerOne I got a slight shock

Rajacat,

You should connect your ground from AC plug to the PS chassis via a 0.01 uF/250V ceramic secure cap to avoid this matter happens again in the future. The shock is from the big power supply cap (10000uF). Next time when you unhook something you should drain out all electricity in that big cap.

Tan

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2007, 11:15 pm »
Thanks Tan,

My ignorance in dealing with these technical matters is in need of rectifying :oops:. I called Wayne (Bolder Cable), since he did the mods on the SB3 and the PowerOne and he said to return the units to him for a checkups and especially to fix the SB. Apparently there is some sort of ultra slow blowing breaker in the SB that takes awhile to reconnect but apparently it is not resetting. It's weird how this sudden short only affected the PowerOne and the SB but ignored the Mhdt Constantine which is situated between the amp and the SB/PowerONe.

BTW do you have a recommendation for a beginners book on basic electronics especially when applied to audio gear?

I'm now listening to my CD player via the Mhdt dac and the sound quality is far from what I've been accustomed to with the Bolder SB let alone the convenience factor. :(

Raj

tanchiro58

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2007, 02:02 am »
do you have a recommendation for a beginners book on basic electronics especially when applied to audio gear?

Raj,

Like F100 I am a DIY amateur too and I learn from books before and mostly from experienced experts. I also messed up with my audio components and tried to learn from the mistakes. That is also a reason I always bought two SB3s. One I already screwed up with a digital part. But from there I learn another experience and try not to mess up to the second one. You know every step of mistake you will learn a good lesson. But still because of curiosity I will try another mod to my second SB3 to match up with my modded MHDT Renaissance II DAC (keep doing mod to this DAC) which will bring another different level of listening. That makes me fun also. aa

Tan

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2007, 02:29 am »
Tan,

I too am part of the digital transformer group buy and will attempt the mod on my Constantine. However, I won't attempt this mod until I get the SB3 back from Wayne so that I will be able to use the analog mod option as backup in case I screw up the Constantine. The inside of the SB3 is so tight that I'm very leery of modding it with the transformer because if I mucked it up, the $500+ I have invested in it (full mods) could go down the drain. The Constantine is another story since I bought it before the Mhdt dacs became the latest rage hence I got it for a VERY reasonable price and it is much more roomy inside. Of course, if I destroy it, replacement would cost me more than it did a year ago.

Raj

F-100

« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2007, 02:51 am »
I'm very leery of modding it with the transformer because if I mucked it up, the $500+ I have invested in it (full mods) could go down the drain.

The best way is to buy another SB3 and perform the mod yourself. If you like the new transformer mod better than your other $500 SB3, then just sell it to recoup your investment.  If you don't want to take the  risk of damaging the SB3 while modding, you can send it to "a fully qualified SB3 modder" like Tan.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2007, 03:00 am »
I'm very leery of modding it with the transformer because if I mucked it up, the $500+ I have invested in it (full mods) could go down the drain.

The best way is to buy another SB3 and perform the mod yourself. If you like the new transformer mod better than your other $500 SB3, then just sell it to recoup your investment.  If you don't want to take the  risk of damaging the SB3 while modding, you can send it to "a fully qualified SB3 modder" like Tan.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm so addicted to the Squeezebox that I better buy a backup so as not to go through heavy withdrawals if and when it fails me. What about the standard digital mod with Blackgates, etc, AND the digital transformer mod? Hmmmmm..............

Raj

tanchiro58

« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2007, 04:12 am »
What about the standard digital mod with Blackgates, etc, AND the digital transformer mod?

Raj,

I suggest you go with digital transformer mod. It is up to you either modding the SB3 or DAC. I have done a lot to my DAC but still want to do some more that benefit to a better sound. It actually has brought to my ears a "kind of music" I have never listened before. You can try to mod your SB3 as F100 did to his. I bet he has the same opinion like me. However, if you do mod both of them I bet you would not want to leave your system for a day. :dance:

F100,

I do not want to be a "fully qualified SB3 modder" since I already screwed up one. Thanks anyways for your kind words but I am not accepting it. :lol: :icon_lol: :P

Tan