120GB of Flac files lost

RoadTripper

120GB of Flac files lost
« on: 23 Aug 2006, 03:24 am »
I am just reporting that due to some really flukey USB port handling (my music files are all on a Maxtor 200GB external USB drive) while disconnecting a camera (also a USB connection) from our PC, the Maxtor drive is kaput. Although the data seems to be undamaged, the drive is unreadable.

However, at the moment, I am using r-studio.com software to restore files. I may just decide to get a third, bigger, drive for backing up both photos and music.

FWIW, I used a DVD player in the interim to listen to some tunes and the sound was dreadfully flat having become totally brainwashed by my RWA modded Squeezebox.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2006, 04:24 am by Seminarian »

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Re: 120GB of Flac files lost
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2006, 03:43 am »
Sorry to hear about the catastrophe.  I purchased one then another 300GB external (USB) HDs to hold my WAV files.  Now that the speed of my CD ripping slows down, I'll be waiting until the 500GB or greater HD's price drops further.  I suggest you get a 500GB HD.  Such storage capacity can be had for between $200 to $250.  Buy.com had a discounted 500GB HD deal for $189 after rebate, but I passed.