Where are the high end android tablets?

rif

• Not a cowboy
Where are the high end android tablets?
« on: 18 May 2018, 12:19 am »
I'm casually looking to move on from my Samsung tab s2, which is now over 2 years old.  I was surprised to see almost nothing on Amazon (the newer model tab s3 isn't really much of an improvement to justify the cost).

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Where are the high end android tablets?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2018, 01:48 am »
I have a audiophile Droid Tab MK III with gold connections, WBT charging jack and Cryo treated board.

I would take $2000 or trade for a More right UDP 205.

I would post pictures but the camera was disabled for Sonic enhancement.

For additional consideration I would include a Organic solar charger made with biodegradable parts.

Alan

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2018, 03:18 am »
Get any power-tablet you want and run an Android emulator.  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2018, 03:22 am »
I have a audiophile Droid Tab MK III with gold connections, WBT charging jack and Cryo treated board.

I would take $2000 or trade for a More right UDP 205.

I would post pictures but the camera was disabled for Sonic enhancement.

For additional consideration I would include a Organic solar charger made with biodegradable parts.

Alan

OK I lol'd :lol:

firedog

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2018, 06:11 am »
Lenovo

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2018, 10:39 am »
Lenovo and Asus but good luck in finding something that runs a current or near current version of Android OS.

Odal3

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2018, 04:04 pm »
I ran into something similar recently but on the cheaper side of the spectrum. 2 years ago I bought a budget Samsung tablet (Tab A, 8") to my older kid as a Xmas gift. Think it was around $120. Last Xmas I wanted to buy another one for my younger child, and wanted to get something similar but a slightly refreshed version. To my surprise, the same tablet was still being sold but now the price was $180. I even checked today, and still the same spec and price.

I guess the product cycle is surprisingly long for tablets. It is still being marketed on Samsung's website with Android 5.0 Lollipop. Android 5.0 was released in 2014 and is not even supported with security patches any longer. Of course, one can easily update to a later version (latest version that can be downloaded for this tablet is 7.1), but it kind of shows the age of the technology. This would be similar to walking into a computer store today and only find computers with Windows 8.

With that said, I have no problem buying older tech as long as it is fit for purpose and using older software have fewer bugs, but I just struggle justifying paying a higher price today for several year old design - unless of course it has been modded with"gold connections, WBT charging jack and Cryo treated board".   :-)

randytsuch

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2018, 05:16 pm »
Must to tough to compete with the Amazon fire tablets.
Maybe companies don't want to spend the r&d money with that in mind?

Randy

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2018, 11:47 pm »
Lenovo and Asus but good luck in finding something that runs a current or near current version of Android OS.

They both run 7.x, out of the box or via OTA updgrade.

I tried an Asus last year, didn't really like it so I returned it.

The Lenovo (yoga 3 plus and tab 4 10" plus) are interesting, but are a lateral move at best compared to my Samsung.