Fair Market Price?

wyman

Fair Market Price?
« on: 12 Dec 2018, 04:46 am »
I am having to downsize a bit before moving to an apartment and as a result considering selling my VMPS speakers; however I am not certain what to price them at, and would appreciate any suggestions.

2x VMPS RM40s - Piano Black, minor cosmetic damage, subs re-coned by Miller Sound.
1x VMPS RM30-c - Piano Black, moderate cosmetic damage, subs re-coned by Miller Sound.
2x VMPS 262 - Wood grain, minor cosmetic damage.
1x VMPS Original 12" Sub - Moderate cosmetic damage.

I also have a multitude of spare drivers, ribbon tweeters, and electronic components to go with the lot.

RSorak

• Facilitator
Re: Fair Market Price?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2018, 01:28 am »
I've seen huge variations in what the market will bear, I think it greatly depends on where you are. Where are these speakers?

Brettio

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2018, 01:50 am »
I didn’t check particular models but there are lots of listings on hifishark.com in the sold/expired section.
Brett

wyman

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2018, 05:38 am »
I've seen huge variations in what the market will bear, I think it greatly depends on where you are. Where are these speakers?

Currently in Houston, Texas.

I didn’t check particular models but there are lots of listings on hifishark.com in the sold/expired section.
Brett

Thanks for that info. I will check that out.

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2018, 02:26 am »
I would think Houston is a large enough metro area to locally attract a good price, plus its centrally located for shipping.

Bob Stark

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2018, 05:52 am »
Wyman,

The RM40s have been priced anywhere from $1400-$3500, depending on shape and upgrades that Brian had done to them.  The RM30s from $1200-$2700 again depending on those same things.  I used to be a VMPS demonstrator in the Chicago area for the last 4 years Brian was still alive.  You need to know things like was there:
                                                                                                                                                List Prices for Options
Wire upgrade--it would be purple and slightly flat vs. round profile when looking at it.                        $400
Auricaps in X-over (yellow) or TRT caps (red)                                                                                  $600 or $1200
outboard X-over (DBX box located separately from speakers)                                                           $400
FST ribbon tweeter (single ribbon tweeter w/ or w/o foam pads covering outside edges of tweeter)     $400
Gloss piano black finish or cherry/rosewood veneers w/ high gloss finish                                           $400
MLS cabinets (heavier by 20 lbs. each and more interior bracing)                                                     $400   

List price for RM40s was about $4500 with none of these.  RM30s list was about $3800 standard.  Figure on about 60% of the list total cost if they are in great shape (near perfect),
about 50% if good shape, and less to much less if there are bigger condition issues hence the rather large range in prices I mentioned.  This is IF they run well without any driver issues.  I MAY be a little off on the final prices as I'm going from memory.

The other 2 speakers I never sold a pair so I don't remember the list costs.  If you look on VMPS Speakers--Audio Circle, there is a post at the upper portion after you've clicked on to get there, that will tell many of the speaker's list prices and cost of options or upgrades.  John Casler should be able to give you more info as he was Brian's prime seller of VMPS speakers.  Look on the Evoke Speakers or Nuprime amps on Audio Circle.  John now represents these products and he's pretty good about getting back to you quickly. 

wyman

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2019, 02:00 am »
Bob,

Thanks for the great feedback. I've been thinking about it, and to the great dismay of my future neighbors I've decided to keep my current VMPS speakers and continue enjoy them while restoring them to their full glory. I do have some spare drivers and components that I might let go of, but that will have to wait until after I move and can unpack everything again.

Bob Stark

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2019, 03:34 am »
Hey Wyman,

My pleasure.  Enjoy those puppies.  VMPS makes some of the greatest speakers for the money ever.  I know it was VERY tough to beat the sound and I tried several times.  I finally did, but it took a near perfect speaker to do it--to buy it, I was lucky in that they had some issues on the veneers that allowed me to somewhat afford them.  Got them at about 28% of the list price and they were only 3-4 years old.

All the best,
Bob

Stimpy

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2019, 03:45 pm »
That sounds like a fine system.  So, I can understand that you've decided to keep the speakers.  I wouldn't want to sell those either.  One day, I love to find a pair of VMPS speakers.  Hopefully, RM30's!   :D

Also, just curious, what happened to the woofers that required Bill LeGall to work on them?  Were they really re-coned?  Do they still have the woven carbon fiber cones?

wyman

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2019, 09:26 pm »
They were re-coned by Miller Sound. Although only one driver was blown, I had the matching driver from the other tower re-coned as well so that they could better match. He was able to retain the carbon fiber cones and everything sounds great. I've ordered some of RSL's new CG25 speakers to try as a possible replacement rears for the 626s. If that works out then I'll probably offer the 626s here for free to anyone willing to pick them up or pay for shipping.

Bob Stark

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2019, 10:34 pm »
Hey Stimpy,

I don't know where you live, but VERY SHORTLY, I will be putting up the actual RM40 BCSE w/MLS cabinets in book matched rosewood veneer with all the best upgrades except for the outboard X-over that were Marty DeWulf's Bound For Sound reference speaker for a few years until he couldn't move them around anymore.  The sound is stunning and the look of the veneers had my custom cabinet making brother very impressed.  They are in 8 condition out of 10 on the Audiogon scale.  I am located in the SW suburbs of Chicago.  They will not be shipped--no crates.  I will help the buyer put them in a van or larger SUV, however.  There is no finer sounding RM40 pair made as Brian tweaked this pair nicely prior to sending them to BFS for review. 

Bob

Stimpy

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2019, 11:08 pm »
They were re-coned by Miller Sound. Although only one driver was blown, I had the matching driver from the other tower re-coned as well so that they could better match. He was able to retain the carbon fiber cones and everything sounds great. I've ordered some of RSL's new CG25 speakers to try as a possible replacement rears for the 626s. If that works out then I'll probably offer the 626s here for free to anyone willing to pick them up or pay for shipping.

626's for free?  Heck yea.  Please keep me in mind.  I even have some spare parts for them.  Willing to pay shipping.  That's more than fair.

Also, I'll have to look up the RSL CG25 speakers.  I'm always interested in new designs.

Good to hear that Bill was able to repair the drivers.  He's the best.  An awesome guy.

Stimpy

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2019, 11:12 pm »
Hey Stimpy,

I don't know where you live, but VERY SHORTLY, I will be putting up the actual RM40 BCSE w/MLS cabinets in book matched rosewood veneer with all the best upgrades except for the outboard X-over that were Marty DeWulf's Bound For Sound reference speaker for a few years until he couldn't move them around anymore.  The sound is stunning and the look of the veneers had my custom cabinet making brother very impressed.  They are in 8 condition out of 10 on the Audiogon scale.  I am located in the SW suburbs of Chicago.  They will not be shipped--no crates.  I will help the buyer put them in a van or larger SUV, however.  There is no finer sounding RM40 pair made as Brian tweaked this pair nicely prior to sending them to BFS for review. 

Bob

Thank you so much for the thought.  I truly appreciate that.  Probably too much speaker for me, but that would be an epic pair of speakers.

GLWTS.

Post 'em here when they're available.  Add plenty of pictures too! 

wyman

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2019, 11:27 pm »
Finished with my upgrades. The RSL CG25s are great, but I'm not here to sell them on you. However, I do have some legacy VMPS speakers that need a good home; 3 626SEs of varying wear (all working), and an original VMPS sub. I would prefer local pickup, but shipping can be arranged.  All I ask is that they be cared for and enjoyed rather than be flipped (honor system).

Stimpy

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2019, 01:49 am »
Finished with my upgrades. The RSL CG25s are great, but I'm not here to sell them on you. However, I do have some legacy VMPS speakers that need a good home; 3 626SEs of varying wear (all working), and an original VMPS sub. I would prefer local pickup, but shipping can be arranged.  All I ask is that they be cared for and enjoyed rather than be flipped (honor system).

I'm glad to hear that the new RSL's are working out.  I'd love to see some pictures of the set up.

And I'm in on the VMPS deal, if shipping is OK?  A bad back prevents road trips.  And no flipping.  I wouldn't do that.  Not my style.  I believe in being honest and honorable.  Plus, they're VMPS.  No need to worry.

Thanks.

wyman

« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2019, 04:02 am »
Stimpy,

Pictures might have to wait until I finish moving. I have the speakers and equipment plugged up just enough for basic testing. I know it's hodgepodge  collection, but it's been a real joy to get everything working and put together.

Front Left: RM40
Front Right: RM40
Rear Left: RSL CG25
Rear Right: RSL CG25
Center: RM30C
Sub: Monolith 12"

Pre-Pro: Outlaw Audio Model 976
Amp: Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande 5
Disc Player: Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500
Display: LG 55" Oled

Regarding the VMPS speakers, please feel free to shoot me a PM and we can sort out shipping. I do fear that the sub woofer will be a bit pricey to ship.