Ideas for an office setup

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Ideas for an office setup
« on: 18 Sep 2019, 01:14 am »
My friend wants to add an audio setup into his home office.  There are 3 requests...He wants to use a Sonos Port, he wants to be able to control the volume with the Sonos app and he wants tubes.  He wants tube gear to add a little pizzazz to his office space.

I was thinking Elac speakers unless I can find something with a dark wood finish or a piano gloss finish. 
We did not talk about $$$ but I think capping the entire package at $2,500 minus the Sonos Port would be sufficient.

Any thoughts?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/port.html

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Ideas for an office setup
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2019, 01:18 am »
This Elac is a hi sensitivity speaker to a small tube amp?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2019, 03:24 am »
The Elac speaker has not been chosen yet.  I was thinking of checking out the Line 240.3 (88 dB) or Uni-Fi (85 dB).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2019, 03:30 am »
You will need 100W to drive these speakers properly.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2019, 03:54 am »
Well in that case could an alternative be more efficient bookshelf speakers or an integrated amplifier with tubes in the signal path somewhere?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2019, 04:11 am »
More efficient speakers are the way to go imo.
You may like to look here:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/speakers.html

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2019, 04:21 am »
I love the suggestion.  Thank you.

Have a suggestion for some tube gear?  I always loved the look of the Pathos stuff and loved the sound the one time I heard an integrated amp. 
It was not a cheap model I had the privilege of hearing.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2019, 04:37 am »
Pathos certainly are refinated amps and deserve a consideration.
You may also consider SE amps from Decware and Dennis Had:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREO-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-INSPIRE-by-DENNIS-HAD-SET-TRIODE-SINGLE-ENDED-AMPLIFIER/153623855125

http://www.decware.com/newsite/tubes.html

Mainly the multi-tubes KT88 amps from Dennis not the 2A3/300B amps.

oldnuke

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2019, 06:01 am »
Hmmmm,
No specs listed on the Port, just that it's an upgraded Connect.  Adding tubes for pizzazz and for an office.

I would not spend much more on components than you spend on the source, so how about compact system without a huge investment until you are hooked on tubes.

So, how about a Port (~400) to Schitt Lyr 3 (tube preamp ~500) to Klipsch RP41 or 51 powered speakers (~400) and you can have a simple office setup.  That's half the price including the Port.  If you just need to spend more, upgrade the tube preamp.

FireGuy

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2019, 11:49 am »
Omega products (speakers) are very tube friendly with an organic sound. 

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/monitor-speakers

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2019, 02:47 pm »
If you want a classic tube sound and a classic tube look, I'm a big fan of the Dennis Had lineup of Inspire amps.  Dennis Had is the guy that started and ran Cary audio all those years, he's retired now & the Inspire line is his "I'm bored" kitchen table company :P 

He makes separate amps and preamps, but since he makes everything himself (by hand), he'll offer custom options like putting a volume pot onto the amp so you can skip the preamp.  I think there's even a remote volume option. 

Of course if your friend is going to use the Sonos volume control, you don't even need a pot, the amp will work just fine without it. 

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2019, 04:47 pm »
I am digging into all of this today.  Thank you fellas!

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2019, 06:30 pm »
How loud will the system be played?

I had an office system for many years, I typically played it in the low to mid-70s decibels.   I suspect my typical power draw was in the 0.25 to 0.5 watt range.   I was using 84dB efficient speakers and a 15 watt amplifier.  This was way more power than I needed.   For a while I used a vintage Dynaco SCA-35 integrated tube amp.  This worked perfectly.   I think I could have gotten by with a 3 to 4 watt amp. 

If he's going to crank it to high volumes, then yes, a more powerful amplifier or more efficient speakers will be needed.   Most people don't do that with office systems. 

Remember that for many years it was popular in British homes for people to use LS3/5a speakers (roughly 82-83dB) and low power tube amps in their dens as their primary audio system.

A Dennis Had Inspire 5 to 10 watt amp would probably be perfect in this application.