UFO build question

analog97

UFO build question
« on: 5 Sep 2006, 02:20 pm »
Hi.  Starting on my UFO.  Step #2 says re :crystal "solder package to exposed ground pad".  I see where the 2 leads for the crystal go and it looks like I should then bend the body of the metal cylinder down to the pad and clamp it and solder it.  I can't  see any pictures of this to verify and I have never done anything like this on previous Hag projects, so if someone could verify this, I would be appreciative.  I hate to ruin my 5/5 successful Hagerman built-by-newbie ratio!!  Thanks!! :D :D

Yoda

Re: UFO build question
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2006, 06:31 pm »
exactly right--bend it over and solder.  Careful to not overheat the xtal!

analog97

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2006, 08:15 pm »
Thanks.....seemed obvious, but it looked weird....kinda like being grounded twice. :?

analog97

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2006, 04:49 pm »
Having a little trouble understanding the UFO. I built it and the LED's glow bright blue.   So, I screwed on the standoffs and put on the bottom PCB and placed it on the spindle.  All I see are the blue LED's.  They appear constantly glowing and I see no strobe effect.  I fear I have ruined my 5/5 successful Hag build record.  What am I supposed to see?  Are the blue LED's supposed to cycle on/off rapidly or what?   Thanks for any thoughts/help.   :(

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2006, 10:48 pm »
Yes, they will appear to be always on - the strobe rate is 75 Hz.  If you wave your hand between the LEDs and your eye you can then see the strobe effect. 

When in use, the dot pattern is hard to see at first, until you get used to it.  If you can't see the frozen in place dots (strobe markings), then touch the edge of the platter to slow it down for a moment.  Unfortunately, I could not make the radius any larger or it would cover the record.

Thom had a cool idea at Galibier - to embed the LEDs in the platter - no need for a strobe pattern.  You could see the timing from across the room if you wanted.  Meanwhile I am getting close to having a real UFO PRO completed.  The bottom aluminum pieces should arrive just in time for RMAF.

jh

analog97

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2006, 03:09 pm »
OK.  That helps.  What I see @33rpm is a blue dot that moves between the spindle outwardly.  That moving dot seems to be very uniform when it hits the bottom pcb at the outside strobe markings.  Then I set my Rega to 45 rpm and saw the same pattern, except it was slower.  So, I guess that's it?  If I want more, now I gotta build the "UFO Pro".