Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #1160 on: 3 Jul 2020, 03:58 am »
 :|
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2021, 04:42 am by oldhvymec »

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #1161 on: 3 Jul 2020, 04:57 am »
6 months or so ago a man tried to sell set of the SRE's and couldn't and parted them out. Look up in this thread.

GeorgeAb

AVB

« Reply #1163 on: 5 Jul 2020, 11:59 pm »
6 months or so ago a man tried to sell set of the SRE's and couldn't and parted them out. Look up in this thread.

Those were not real ST III SRE but some Frankenstein version of the FFI SRE and a pair  of ST II.

PMAT

« Reply #1164 on: 6 Jul 2020, 04:45 am »
CRAP! I’m in Santa Rosa. I wish I hadn’t seen that...........

Stimpy

« Reply #1165 on: 6 Jul 2020, 12:50 pm »
VMPS Super Tower/R speakers  -  (Tarpon Springs, FL)  $600

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/d/tarpon-springs-vmps-super-tower-speakers/7147746608.html

"VMPS super tower/R special edition audiophile speakers. They work but do need some repairs. These speakers are extremely heavy, I'm guessing 150# each."

Stimpy

« Reply #1166 on: 6 Jul 2020, 12:55 pm »
VMPS SUPERTOWER/R SPECIAL EDITION  -  (Walnut Creek, CA)  $1100

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/d/walnut-creek-vmps-supertower-special/7152687090.html

"Up for sale is my VMPS SUPERTOWER/R SPECIAL EDITION Speakers, you don't see these come up for sale often so hurry up and get them while you can. Have a custom speaker made sp these have to go, sound amazing. Read about them, they go down to 20hz. Will blow you away."

AVB

« Reply #1167 on: 6 Jul 2020, 02:32 pm »
VMPS SUPERTOWER/R SPECIAL EDITION  -  (Walnut Creek, CA)  $1100

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/d/walnut-creek-vmps-supertower-special/7152687090.html

"Up for sale is my VMPS SUPERTOWER/R SPECIAL EDITION Speakers, you don't see these come up for sale often so hurry up and get them while you can. Have a custom speaker made sp these have to go, sound amazing. Read about them, they go down to 20hz. Will blow you away."

Both of these ST/R SE look like earlly models. I'm not seeing any phase plugs on the woofers. I've got a set in the living room and they still sound great.

AVB

« Reply #1168 on: 6 Jul 2020, 08:01 pm »
How are the speakers doing.. forget the member, LOL. Just kidding How are you doing?

I bet they do sound like no other.

The FST on the Elixir was a pure afterthought....No idea on that one.. But this is a GREAT fix, Now for a great 25 watt amp and a really good passive XO for the new Tweet... Maybe mount a little Purfi module. I don't use the bass section anyway... I'll post some pics, I got a few over the last year...

I'll work out the mounting baffle. Neo 8 / FST, no rewire, just move the drivers to the baffle. Route the opening with a template or make a separate enclosure for the FST and Neo 8 and leave the wiring. Install the new wiring for the AC G1, Install the new baffle insert or enclosure. and be done with it..

Regards..

I doubt I'll ever replace them short of a fire happening but I do have to give you credit for cutting into a set of elixirs, No way I could do that.

/mp

« Reply #1169 on: 14 Jul 2020, 08:47 pm »
Ampzilla 2000 Mono Block Amps - VMPS 626 Ribbon Speakers Trinaural Playback System
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa3hcd-ampzilla-2000-mono-block-amps-vmps-626-ribbon-speakers-trinaural-playback-system-ne-listening-room

Not connected with seller in any way AFAIK.

oldhvymec

« Reply #1170 on: 19 Jul 2020, 12:13 am »
 :icon_surprised:
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2021, 04:43 am by oldhvymec »

Stimpy

« Reply #1171 on: 19 Jul 2020, 09:14 pm »
I doubt I'll ever replace them short of a fire happening but I do have to give you credit for cutting
into a set of elixirs, No way I could do that.

That was an option, I went with option 2.  I  started building a nice enclosure for the back. The neo 8 can
be clocked vertical or horizontal, left, right top or bottom. Same with the FST. Easier to get the height
right and no XO change, just add an external XO with LPad and their own little 25-30 watt pass
design amp..and of course the AC G1s in the front seated height position, where the old Neo 8 was.

The wiring for the front firing FST (including LPad with an "off" position), is moved to the
rear enclosure. The front firing neo 8 and an added LPad with off position, is moved to the rear enclosure.
About 15-20 hours will get it to primer. No enclosure mod other than removing the old FST enclosure, and a
single hollow bulkhead fitting for wires to pass through, and anchor the two enclosures to the Elixir cabinets.

Going back to stock only requires a large polished brass carriage bolt, washers, for the inside, and wing nuts..
Put the FST enclosure back on top, DONE...

The top mount FST just doesn't work right. No idea WHY it was done that way.. This will fix A LOT of the issue.
with no big cabinet mods..

Regards

Any pictures...?   :rules:

Stimpy

« Reply #1172 on: 19 Jul 2020, 09:18 pm »
VMPS RM1 AUDIOPHILE SPEAKERS  -  (SOMA /South Beach, CA)  $700

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/d/san-francisco-vmps-rm1-audiophile/7161527653.html

"These are great sounding speakers, with on sonic issues whatsoever. They have a bit of a cult following and with good reason, I actually purchased these from the former production manager at VMPS the were part of his collection. Speakers are the upgraded version of the RM1 with all the best components. I am selling because I find that they are too big for my small space, bookshelf speakers seem to work best for me here. Shoot me a quick email with your phone number and I will get back to you. I'm listed on Audiogon as geraldspade my reputation.... :-)at least in the audio word is impeccable. Last but not least no shenanigans please, I was born at night just not last night!"

Stimpy

« Reply #1173 on: 26 Jul 2020, 02:48 pm »
VMPS speakers  -  (Deer Park, WA)   $600

https://spokane.craigslist.org/ele/d/deer-park-vmps-speakers/7145579520.html

"Up for sale is a pair of VMPS Tower II/r in really good shape for 30yr old speakers. All 4 woofers were replaced with Dayton Audio designer series woofers at $78.00 a piece so no cheapies. The passive radiator in the bottom is original but the surround was done last summer. Any questions feel free to call anytime."

Stimpy

« Reply #1174 on: 26 Jul 2020, 03:05 pm »
VMPS Tower II Speakers  -  (South Bend, IN)  $900

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649639029-vmps-tower-ii-speakers/

"Vmps Tower II speakers mint condition, all drivers are original and work perfectly.  No Shipping."

fredgarvin

« Reply #1175 on: 26 Jul 2020, 03:20 pm »
VMPS RM1 AUDIOPHILE SPEAKERS  -  (SOMA /South Beach, CA)  $700

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/d/san-francisco-vmps-rm1-audiophile/7161527653.html

"These are great sounding speakers, with on sonic issues whatsoever. They have a bit of a cult following and with good reason, I actually purchased these from the former production manager at VMPS the were part of his collection. Speakers are the upgraded version of the RM1 with all the best components. I am selling because I find that they are too big for my small space, bookshelf speakers seem to work best for me here. Shoot me a quick email with your phone number and I will get back to you. I'm listed on Audiogon as geraldspade my reputation.... :-)at least in the audio word is impeccable. Last but not least no shenanigans please, I was born at night just not last night!"
The planar panel is not original, at least I've never seen one like that, and the tweeter looks like it came from an Infinity speaker, it says Kappa on the face plate. Who knows what's inside.

Stimpy

« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2020, 06:12 pm by Stimpy »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #1177 on: 15 Aug 2020, 10:46 pm »
VMPS Tower II Speakers  -  (South Bend, IN)  $900

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649639029-vmps-tower-ii-speakers/

"Vmps Tower II speakers mint condition, all drivers are original and work perfectly.  No Shipping."

VERY nice, and fair deal.  I would take these over the infinitely more handsome and lower performing Tower II SE cabinets w/vertical mid/treble array, front vertical corner radius, veneered face, and no top-firing piezo super tweeter.  (Motorola's original and long discontinued piezo was high value and performance, while the later and current Chinese clone is unacceptable performance wise.)   

Confusing nomenclature: there are two completely different so-called "Tower II SE."  The earlier versions employ the original "arc" mid-treble array as per this image, with various long list of different driver upgrades justifying the SE suffix.  Later speakers by the same name are as above described.  There's nothing really wrong with the deluxe SE cabinets, except I think the arc array performs better.  If I had to bet why I prefer the arc cabinets, I'd guess it's  the top-firing tweeter.  I just don't see how a horizontal arc can outperform the vertical array; though that may be part of it. 

(The difference between the older and newer Super Tower/R is greater; the newer cabinets have a vertical array and also lack the ambiance tweeter, but the vertical array is symmetrical, and the later also have a 10" mid bass vs. 12" mid bass on the earlier cabinets.  On that model I lean toward the later cabinets; the vertical symmetrical array may decrease or eliminate any advantage of the up-firing piezo.) 

It's not too difficult to add the top firing piezo.  The first problem is finding two used or NOS original Motorola piezo tweeters, not the later Chinese clone.  The piezo input Z is virtually infinite.  Electrically, just parallel the piezo with the ribbon leads. 

To test performance, just cut small hole(s) in discreet location (cabinet rear or the plastic terminal cups though the latter may lack real estate) to fit 2 wires parallel with the ribbon leads to outside of the cabinet to the piezo atop the cabinet; even AWG20 should be fine for this low current application.  After passing the wires through the hole, it must be air tight sealed; hot glue inside seems ideal.  When the test is over and the wires removed, seal the cabinet hole(s).       

If you like the piezo, and I'm 99.9% sure you will, you can add the piezo to TII SE or ST/R SE cabinets lacking it.

We received TII and ST/R cabinets with a piece of black PVC and cloth already pre-installed.  We just fastened the 2 wire terminals to the piezo, applied liberal amount of hot glue to the top of piezo near the outer edge, and fastened the piezo to the bottom of the PVC.

To install the PVC and cloth to cabinets lacking it: IIRC the PVC OD was a few 16ths less than the piezo OD.  PVC length equals the top cabinet panel thickness + 1.5"-2.5", just enough excess for finger grip. 

Cut the circle hole in the cabinet top as close to the rear outer corner as is practical, 2nd best for performance is top center but you might prefer that look.  The described offset maximizes delay path length (the greater the better).  Ideal is likely a hole in the top, or rear panel (mid height), at 22.5 degrees from vertical, to further increase delay path length, but cutting such hole is infinitely more difficult.   

Cut a piece of grille cloth to fit over the top edge of the PVC, then trim the excess cloth on the sides, remove the cloth, spray adhesive around the PVC, then re-fasten the cloth, then fasten the PVC/cloth assembly so the top edge of the PVC equals the top cabinet panel outer surface.  Insure the PVC/cabinet joint is air tight.

Then wire and fasten the piezo as described above.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2020, 12:12 am by James Romeyn »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1178 on: 16 Aug 2020, 12:26 am »
The planar panel is not original, at least I've never seen one like that, and the tweeter looks like it came from an Infinity speaker, it says Kappa on the face plate. Who knows what's inside.

Fred,
The earliest RM series employed Boehlender Graebner planar type mid range as pictured.  Said mids have a copper dusted or plated diaphragm, some with so much green oxidation atop the copper that it looked like plant life was coming. 

IIRC, Brian did employ a certain (small) number of NOS spiral planar tweeters with Infinity's "Kappa" stenciled on its face plate. 

My biggest and only suspicion is timing.  I thought, but could absolutely be wrong, that the "Kappa" stenciled tweeters arrived later than the BG mid ranges.  Another alternative is that someone blew and replaced the OEM tweeter with a later Kappa stenciled tweeter. 

Again, I could be wrong, but AFAIK there's only one spiral planar tweeter that looks like that, and they all derived from the original Infinity Kappa series, and they all perform the same.  If someone knows different please correct this error. 

davidc1

« Reply #1179 on: 21 Aug 2020, 02:25 am »