A beautiful tribute to John Prine

stlrman

A beautiful tribute to John Prine
« on: 31 Mar 2020, 01:34 am »
This is the lead singer from Big Thief singing a John Prine song. My wife and I were near tears.  :
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-XXr4FjhOW/

If you like her voice check out the fantastic album UFOF :
Album review of UFOF:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/big-thief-ufof/amp/

DavidS

Re: A beautiful tribute to John Prine
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2020, 01:44 am »
when I was a young punk rock lovin guy - early 80s - remember going camping with a bunch of people.  Around campfire this girl - many years ago so in my memory is she reminded me of a young Michelle Shocked although probably not a skateboard punk rock girl - pulls out a guitar and starts playing songs by this guy I never have heard of named John Prine.  The usual stuff - Hole in my head - she had a full repertoire - but maybe was the smoke or the southern comfort - but she played Angel of Montgomery and I was stunned, dumbfounded, jaw dropped (oops thats audio talk) and I was in love with a guy I had never heard of and the girl with the guitar too.  Have been huge fanboy ever since and very sad about his mortality and the CV19 stuff.

fridays

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2020, 01:54 am »
Did John pass?
I love/d his music

gary

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2020, 02:04 am »
Did John pass?
I love/d his music

He has covid-19 and is on a ventilator, although apparently he's in stable condition.

Douger

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2020, 05:10 am »
In 1972 I was a student at UNO in Omaha,and John Prine, Bonnie Raitt and Freebo put on a concert in the Student
Center...  Linoleum floor, glass windows, no acoustic treatment at all but it was magical!! I have been a fan ever since...
They are all still alive and I pray for them often.

Doug

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2020, 02:42 pm »
Here's praying for a full & speedy recovery. First became aware of John in the late '60s, sadly was too young to access his shows at the Earl of Old Towne (Chicago). He, Steve Goodman (lost much too young), and Bonnie Koloc played there fairly often in those days. Have see him once or twice over the years, as has been noted, a consummate storyteller.

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2020, 03:12 pm »
My wife and I chose a John Prine song for our First Dance at our wedding:

There's a big old goofy man
Dancing with a big old goofy girl
Ooh, baby
It's a big old goofy world

So glad to hear he's recovering.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2020, 03:55 am »
He passed today at 73.  What a titan!  He will be greatly missed and is impossible to replace.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2020, 01:14 pm »
Damn. He will be sorely missed around here. Some of his music is in my regular rotation, "I hate it when it happens to me" will have new meaning from now on.

RIP brother John.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2020, 01:18 pm »
RIP John.

Been a fan since buying his debut album back in 71-72. I was a high school kid who heard something besides the usual rock and loved it.

stlrman

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2020, 01:48 pm »
RIP!!

What is a great album of his that you recommend?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2020, 02:12 pm »
The self titled John Prine will have much of his early and perhaps best known work. Illegal Smile, Angel from Montgomery, etc. Photo art is him sitting on haybales. Sam Stone makes me mist up every time I hear it.

It makes me sad he's gone, but what a body of work to remember him by.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2020, 10:59 pm »
^ thanks Peter. I will add a more recent release, "Fair and Square" which earned him a Grammy for best contemporary folk LP. And one that might not sit well with pop enthusiast, "In Spite of Ourselves", where he teams up with some of the best female, folk and country voices in the business.

-Dieter