How Tall is Too Tall Between the Speakers

AllanS

How Tall is Too Tall Between the Speakers
« on: 15 Feb 2023, 04:46 am »
I realized a nice improvement in sound stage depth and definition by knocking the component rack down to what you see sitting on the floor. This is a temporary solution but I’d like the permanent solution to be along the same lines - longish but low.

Well the missus hates the emptiness between the speakers and would rather see a console of sorts. She’s been pretty accommodating in letting me take over the space so to keep the peace are there any guidelines as to how tall something behind the speakers can be without significant impact on sound stage?

Are there other aesthetic improvements that won’t affect the sound stage?
Thanks.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: How Tall is Too Tall Between the Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2023, 12:30 pm »
Suggest TimberNation.com where you can customize your rack.  Mine is two levels high (very sturdy) with enough space underneath for the vacuum. 
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2023, 12:25 pm by JLM »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2023, 12:52 pm »
Were the acoustic panels used when assessing the sound before removing the rack? Is your missus ok with the panels?

My suggestion is get a couple large plants, say 5 ft tall or so, to place next to the components. It helped with the visuals in my room when I reduced my rack height to knee high. I used fake plants, as I'm in a basement with very little natural light.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2023, 01:44 pm »
The rack wont affect bass freqs, so just keep it lower than the midrange and tweeter to preserve clean reflections of upper freqs.
Traditionally, a glass window (especially with blinds) is said to be the least desireable surface for reflections.
The varying depth of sheetrock and window and angled shade slats is more destructive to imaging than the rack imo. The front wall reflections are critical to good imaging and the different depths and angles scramble the arrival time of reflections. Short of fully diffused front wall, a plain bare flat sheetrock is the best for imaging. 
I recommend building a faux wall in front of the window. Full width, and up to ceiling if possible. If not possible to go up to ceiling then put a shelf at the top of the wall, etc. If faux wall not possible then put 3/4" plywood panel over window with insulation filling in the window gap. Paint panel same as wall color etc. Or remove blinds and make a plywood filler panel to fit Into window hole with thickness to match wall surface.
Then get rid of everything blocking reflections from the front wall area. Especially the other soeakers with moveable diaphragm. Change the side absorber panels from thick huge absorbers to smaller thinner spot diffusion panels if you think you still need them after front wall is cleaned up.
Then position the speakers correctly so that all front wall reflections arrive at you simultaneously L/R.

As for system changes and WAF, break the bad news gently, that you are an audiophile. It is a genetic affliction and this will continue for the forseeable future and only get worse. So she should enjoy these easy years now while she has them. But then you have to follow through with the threat, lest she suspect you are normal after all.  :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2023, 02:15 pm »
In the spirit of matrimonial happiness - I wonder if a low wide rack that was right at the height of the bottom of the window (ie the gear is just at the top of the bottom sill) could look good?  That is likely what I would aim for.

AllanS

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2023, 03:49 am »
Thanks all.  I sincerely appreciate your help.
Suggest TimberNation.com where you can customize your rack.
I remember coming across them before but forgot.  I like their stuff and do recall finding something that would fit nicely.  The cheap alternative is another Pangea rack side by side but only using 3 shelves.

In the spirit of matrimonial happiness - I wonder if a low wide rack that was right at the height of the bottom of the window (ie the gear is just at the top of the bottom sill) could look good?  That is likely what I would aim for.
I was thinking the same thing.  She’d be satisfied with that. The 3 shelf Pangea would come up just above the sill.  The gear would be above but I wouldn’t need to use the top shelf.

Were the acoustic panels used when assessing the sound before removing the rack? Is your missus ok with the panels?
She’s tolerant of the treatments but is losing patience as she watches the space evolve into something she couldn’t have imagined and I didn’t know how to prepare her for.  I had/have no idea where this ride was/is heading.  It was her idea to store the panels there. 
They’re actually intended to be pulled out for critical listening.  They’ll mirror the panels on the RH side wall in an attempt to compensate for the LH side wall being another 8’ from the speakers.
 I think I assessed the rack change with panels stored and set up but honestly don’t remember.

The rack wont affect bass freqs, so just keep it lower than the midrange and tweeter to preserve clean reflections of upper freqs.

As for system changes and WAF, break the bad news gently, that you are an audiophile. It is a genetic affliction and this will continue for the forseeable future and only get worse. So she should enjoy these easy years now while she has them. But then you have to follow through with the threat, lest she suspect you are normal after all.  :lol:
  The first part may be the sweet spot.  I’m not sure about a Timber Nation option but the 3 shelf Pangea rack would come in just below the middle woofer basket.
  Walling in the window is a nonstarter.  I started this ride with the speakers on the short wall, what is now the RH side wall.  There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth. 
  She is coming to understand that audiophiles and motorcyclists share obsessive traits.  I think that’s what worries her.  She’s been down the motorcycle path with me, which is actually good news for me. I know how to navigate this but I also know how far I can push.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2023, 05:36 am »
there any guidelines as to how tall something behind the speakers can be without significant impact on sound stage?
Bass under 100Hz +- start roll out by the floor.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2023, 06:09 am »
Keep gear below direct reflection points of the tweeter and mid driver, or a foot or two below your ears. But you didn't hear if from me. :)

Rocket Ronny

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2023, 01:54 pm »
She’s tolerant of the treatments but is losing patience as she watches the space evolve into something she couldn’t have imagined and I didn’t know how to prepare her for.  I had/have no idea where this ride was/is heading.  It was her idea to store the panels there. 
They’re actually intended to be pulled out for critical listening.  They’ll mirror the panels on the RH side wall in an attempt to compensate for the LH side wall being another 8’ from the speakers.

If the LH wall is 8 ft from the speaker, I would ignore it, and instead concentrate on getting the RH wall to be sonically invisible. My setup is similar except the LH wall is 13 ft from the speaker. My left speaker is closer to the RH wall then the left. I have the R wall heavily treated with a mix of absorption and GIK Polyfusors. But, my system is in the basement where my wife couldn't care less about the decor.

AllanS

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2023, 05:56 am »
Thanks guys.  I may have been over thinking much of this but it’s good to know that moderate height stuff won’t be a problem.  The freestanding panels didn’t seem to do much anyway so may better off where they are or in some other corners.
Unfortunately this room isn’t hidden on some corner that she can ignore.  And after 30 plus years I should have known better to keep my mouth shut instead of telling her to close the door. :duh:

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2023, 12:50 pm »
Yeah, ultimate sound quality is good but a minor compromise for marital bliss is a worthwhile tradeoff.  Happy wife, happy life! :thumb: