need two subs for Maggy 3.6's,,,,what to do ????

2bigears

need two subs for Maggy 3.6's,,,,what to do ????
« on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:21 pm »
 :D  the Mag 3.6's sound real nice on top,i love that sound.for two channel only,what sub do all you recommend ????  listen to mostly old rock,the good stuff ,,,,diy is where the smart  money goes i think.... :D  i have just bought Proac D38's and really love their sound also.with the subs i can pick between the two on a level playing field.any help thks muchly.....Pat  :D

sts9fan

Re: need two subs for Maggy 3.6's,,,,what to do ????
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:36 pm »
The GR Research Servo subs are very nice.  Thats what I use and I think they are a pretty good price.  Also you should consider 3 in mono, or look at one of Duke's Swarms.  They are made for panel speakers.   

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:37 pm »
I love OB bass, it would seem to make sense to use OB bass with a dipolar speaker.  The GR Research OB Servo Subs would make a nice match for you IMO.  They are fantastic in my V-1s!

Best,
Ed

boycephoto

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:48 pm »
I have 3.6's and use a single ACI Titan XL.  ACI is no longer in business.  These seldom show up used on Audiogon.  It integrates seemlessly with the 3.6's. I am very happy withit and would consider getting a second one when I can find it.   If I was buying new I would look at REL B3 or B1 or Velodyne DD series. 

Dave

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2010, 08:36 pm »
 :D thks,seems OB is the new ticket.i kinda think two units should do it.need to hear 3.6's with a sub before i send them packing.....think it's only fair to give the bass help they need... :D

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2010, 08:41 pm »
Give Duke a call.  I got Swarm 2 with Soundlabs.  They work together really well.

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2010, 09:07 pm »
I've had excellent luck with the Magnepans mating them with a pair of JL Audio F110's.  The auto room correction will save you a ton of time setting them up and blending seamlessly to the main speakers.

Also have had great luck (though more work to set up) with the MartinLogan Grotto i's.

With the JL's, you can start with a single F110.  Might even be all you need.  If you can really nail the placement, you can get by with one.  If not you can add a second when time and budget permits.

Currently using a single Gotham with my Magnepans and it is awesome!

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2010, 09:56 pm »
 :D  thks for that.. :thumb:  7500 buckies for a sub ?? :o :o  WOW.that's gotta be a sweet sub.it sure looks healthy. :D

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2010, 11:07 pm »
I only use one with my 3.6s - an SVS SB-12 and set it up by ear.  I put the crossver at 40 hz and adjusted the volume until it sounded right to me.
A fellow came over with a laptop, microphone and some sort of analyzer program and I'm happy to say I nailed it.
Four bills used and like new, more bass than I'll ever need.

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2010, 11:26 pm »
 :D  thks all. Steve,that's four hundred ?? right,i don't know any more ???? :lol: :D

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2010, 11:39 pm »
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=536

Although, if I could, I'd get two Exodus Maelstrom 21's in stereo :D

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2010, 11:55 pm »
Yes, four hundred dollars American.  Original packaging, manual, subwoofer from a listing on craigslist.
Two would be overkill in my room. 

MaxCast

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:08 am »
check out these as well
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84003.msg813156;topicseen#new

sealed, ported, open baffle, PRs, servos, swarms...kinda harder than picking out speakers.  :D

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2010, 10:06 am »
2Bigears,
What did you end up going with?

DEV

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2010, 11:06 am »
Hi there, you might want to contact James Tannor of Bryston he has owned a few Mag. product. Nice guy and enjoys the hobby even though it is his business, he can provide you with his thought's, he might possibly have those same speakers.

tdangelo

« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2010, 07:02 pm »
Give Duke a call.  I got Swarm 2 with Soundlabs.  They work together really well.
Hi Woodsyi, are you rolling off the bass to your SL or just letting them run full range? 

Thanks
Tony

pelliott321

« Reply #16 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:23 pm »
This is my first post here.  I have a pair of IIIa's I rebuilt (new wood frame and xover) I biamp and use two subs, Janis W-1's, and I have them set to come on at 40hz and I cut the IIIa's at 40hz using a .04uf cap on the input of the bass panel amp.  This gives me a very good and seamless flow between the sub and the panel. none of this is set in stone yet.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #17 on: 19 Oct 2010, 01:53 pm »
Janis has always worked well with the Maggies.  The older Vandersteen sub works pretty well too if you can find one used.  Not going to be as quick as some others but it blends well.

Bryan

pelliott321

« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2010, 11:10 pm »
I know that the Janis woofers are a very old technology.  I would love to find the parameters for that woofer so I could look for a newer quicker replacement.  I think the bandpass design is still relavent but a newer design with larder voice coil and bigger magnet would add some punch

stereocilia

« Reply #19 on: 23 Oct 2010, 04:03 am »
I'm using Emotiva ultra sub 12s with 1.7s and I'm digging the results.  I know, not so helpful for a 3.6 owner but that's the best I can do.  Re: ProAc, hearing the Response 4 years ago with a full-on naim rig helped me understand why anybody could care about this high end audio stuff.