1.7 Questions

jimdgoulding

1.7 Questions
« on: 25 Sep 2014, 12:45 am »
Thinking about adding some 1.7's.  Again.  I listen to lots of classical music which, as you know, is mostly made on location.  Some live jazz dates, too.  I want that spaciousness and more breadth of field and lifelike size than my two-way stand mounts can give me.  They will not replace my stand mounts just give me an option.  My stand mounts- active Meridian M20's- image and layer their ass off.  The other thing is that Magnepan's are affordable.  My God what good speakers cost these days!  I also wanna support Magnepan for being steadfast affordable as they have been.  I use a Koetsu Black cart which has pretty lucid body and warmth down below and I'm figuring that should help.  I believe I've read the 1.7 bass is light.  How about punch? 

I have two Kenwood LO7 150w mono blocks from the early 80's that won't come on- they haven't been used in years- so I'll have to look into that first.  They are known for their bass for some reason.  I won't be buying another amp so this purchase is predicated on those amps working.  So somebody give me some encouragement, thank you.

One other thing . . my room is only 12' wide by 15' deep.  The wall behind my chair is 50% open thanks to a passageway and a diagonal staircase plus I have open back record cabinets across from the enclosed corner some 8' for diffusion, and to put records in, of course.  I can put the Maggies's about 4' or a shade more out into the room off the wall behind them.  Anybody see a problem with that?  Fifty three inches out and my standmounts separate front to back three dimensionally terrifically.  Reckon the Mag's will too?  Thanks.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: 1.7 Questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2014, 03:12 pm »
I have a pair of 1.6's and have a friend  that has the 1.7's in  near field set up in a room smaller than yours and it sounds great.  I keep my maggies 3' from the back wall.  The closer to the corner of the room the deeper the bass but it could get boomy. 

Speaking of bass.  The 1.7's put out plenty of bass but you won't get much below 40-45Hz.  The bass is tight and fast.  But you will need a sub if you want bass punch and feel the pressure wave.  Sealed subs sound the best with Maggies in my opinion. You can pick up good sealed subs for about $500 and up from SVS if you are on a budget or go the used route like I did for a Martin logan.  I only notice my sub on bass heavy music and it blends seamlessly. Bass will also depend upon your other gear such as your amp, preamp and your music source.  My Pass amp and BAT preamp make my Maggies explode with bass even at low levels. 

As far as air and transparency go, that will also depend upon your  other gear.  Maggies will be only as good as your other gear.  If your amp, preamp and source do not convey air and transparency then the Maggies will not make up for it.

I am sure other maggie owners will chime in. 

Larry

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2014, 09:05 pm »
I. Greyhound Fan said it all.
Get your amps working, order a set up and see; if they don't float your boat you're only out freight costs.

*Scotty*

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2014, 10:24 pm »
Deleted. DuhOh!
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2014, 12:17 am by *Scotty* »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2014, 10:34 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I listen to so little music where a bass pressure wave should be detectable I don't think that will be an issue tho I will be demoing a sub.  A chum owns one that TAS gave a Golden Ear Award to this year, the $1500 1200w JL Audio e110.  He'll let me borrow.  Within the next couple weeks I plan to drop the Kenwoods off to a highly regarded shop in my city.

One thing, width wise, my current speakers and placement portray a pretty magnanimous and believable stage.  Any chance of the Maggies adding a disproportionable height?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2014, 10:41 pm »
Probably not unless you're unusually short.
I seem to recall this fellow returning a set some time back...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2014, 10:49 pm »
Probably?  Anyone else have experience?  To try to better describe my concern.  As the stage gets wider, any chance its gets taller disproportionately to a real orchestra in a hall?

With my over&under point source speakers, advancing the volume will bring a vocalist nearer to me and larger between my speaks, but with moderate volume I can get a real lifelike image and atmosphere.  Maggies do that ok, or will I have to settle for an expanded size because of so much surface?
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2014, 01:11 am by jimdgoulding »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2014, 02:55 am »
I guess what I have is a personal problem.  Seriously, Mr. Ford, they are at the top of my list but I have no way to demo them in the 4th largest city in the U.S.  Bleedin Houston, Texas.  We have one dealer who opens on Saturdays and the place is packed so it's hard to get his attention for any length of time.  Unless your shopping for Magico's, that is.

With my 12X15X8' size room, there is just so much space for a recording to bloom.  Played too loud, images can "overbloom" even with my point source speakers.  Images can become too fat, flat and forward to resemble any realistic size or space were music is likely to be heard live*.  The sections of an orchestra can become less distinct.  Depth of field is compromised and space and air can be replaced by too much mass.  I have this bad habit of comparing playback to music heard live in a club or a concert venue.  With the entire surface of the Magnepan's radiating waveforms, I have to wonder about image specificity.     

Anyway, if I can afford to get my amps running, I'll be off to Dallas or Austin for a demo.  I love the fact that the drivers are so low mass and on the same plane.   

*I have a pal who has a copy of Belafonte's Live at Carnegie Hall.  He listens to this so loud that the space between his speakers is all Belefonte.  What's unique about this recording is the singer and his music, of course, but equally the venue.  You can hear up into the balconies, er, with judicious use of the volume control.  Too much volume and the whole shebang is on the same plane.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2014, 02:58 am »
Save your money and get a Rhythmik sub

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12SE.html

$1500 is way too much for a sub in a small room with Maggies IMHO, especially when you will be using it at 50Hz or lower.  I use an original Martin Logan Dynamo 10" sub that I picked up used for $290 (it cost about $700 new several years ago) and it sounds great in my 17x17 room with 9' ceilings.  It integrates seamlessly.

My friend with the 1.7's in his small room uses a Rhythmik and it sounds great. 

If you listen to a lot of Classical, you will appreciate the sub.

Why don't you call the Maggie dealer and set up an appointment with them to audition the 1.7's?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2014, 03:03 am »
I does listen to a lot of classical music and appreciate your reply.  I will check out the Rhythmic.  Thanks a heap.

PS- The Rhythmic needs an outboard amp, right?

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2014, 03:27 am »
+1 on 1.7s and a rythmik sub. That's what I use now. :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2014, 06:49 am »
They should be just fine in the size room you've got.
You're aware they have an in home trial period so take them up on it when your amps are done.
That way you can spend a few weeks to make up your mind as to how they'll work for you.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2014, 11:38 am »
I does listen to a lot of classical music and appreciate your reply.  I will check out the Rhythmic.  Thanks a heap.

PS- The Rhythmic needs an outboard amp, right?

The Rhythmik has a built in amp and hooks to a line out of your preamp.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2014, 12:42 pm »
Very cool, fellas.  You da best.