Tyson's Super Mini Review

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Tyson's Super Mini Review
« on: 2 Jan 2020, 05:51 am »

Preamble
Had a chance to visit Danny recently and spent a few days listening to ALL the most recent OB offerings and thought I'd write up separate reviews for each of them.  This review is for the Super Mini.

Initial Impressions
I was a bit hesitant to listen to the Super Mini, to be honest.  I own their bigger brother, the Super 7s, so I knew they had good DNA.  There was a good chance that they would sound good.  But I also felt there was a good chance they wouldn't sound good.  After all, how much can a single Neo3 and single Neo10 for the mids/highs really accomplish?

Listening Notes
The first thing to note is the Super Mini is a 3 way speaker.  So the open baffle bass section is doing a lot.  We put on my First Watt BA3 amp and it just sounded incredible.  Big, bold, punchy, not even a little bit "small" sounding.  And the imaging was outstanding.  In some ways even better than my Super 7s at home.  Wow.  OK, I was not expecting that at all!  And they go LOUD.  Overall I'd say they capture 85% of the magic that my Super 7s are capable of and that surprised me the most.

Edit to add:  And lest you think I am crazy or biased, here is a link to the recent visit by New Record Day to GR Research where they talk about this speaker in detail and confirm everything I heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgoR2PLEZsk
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2020, 05:52 pm by Tyson »

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Tyson's Super Mini Review
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2020, 06:49 am »
Hearing them at Axpona threw me for a loop too.  The imaging and soundstage shocked me!  I kinda wonder if these would’ve been the better choice vs. the Super 7’s for my now smaller listening room.

Tyson

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2020, 07:09 am »
Hearing them at Axpona threw me for a loop too.  The imaging and soundstage shocked me!  I kinda wonder if these would’ve been the better choice vs. the Super 7’s for my now smaller listening room.

I tried it out - you can sit within about 4 feet of them before the soundstage collapses.  So I imagine they'd be great in a smaller room.

drmike

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2020, 12:21 pm »
are flat packs and drivers, crossovers available?
thanks,
drmike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2020, 01:34 pm »
Glad you are hearing the same things I do with the Super Mini's. 

Corndog71 heard The Monoliths version with the dspMusikLCD three way active system with the planar top and 2x12 OB H-Frame servo subs at AXPONA2019 as a comparison to the newer system with the V bass tower and servo subs.

RonP

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2020, 01:55 pm »
Great info. Thanks Tyson!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2020, 05:13 pm »

+1

slefley

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2020, 05:34 pm »
I currently use LS3/5A in a near-field set up and am very happy with the amount (or lack thereof) of bass.  I don't want to wear out my welcome with my condo neighbors, and the tone and imaging from these monitors fits my preferences perfectly!

But the imaging and soundstaging of the Super Mini's sounds very attractive.  Do you have an idea if the low frequency performance of those if used without subs will be close to what I get from the LS3/5A's?

Steve   

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2020, 05:37 pm »
My understanding is they roll off around 200 Hz, so your LS3/5a will produce more LF energy than these.

Tyson

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2020, 06:01 pm »
I currently use LS3/5A in a near-field set up and am very happy with the amount (or lack thereof) of bass.  I don't want to wear out my welcome with my condo neighbors, and the tone and imaging from these monitors fits my preferences perfectly!

But the imaging and soundstaging of the Super Mini's sounds very attractive.  Do you have an idea if the low frequency performance of those if used without subs will be close to what I get from the LS3/5A's?

Steve   

You definitely cannot use them 2 way, they are a 3 way speaker.  Danny mentioned he's working on a new version of the bass module that will be more elegant than the picture 8 inch drivers but also less expensive than the dual 12 inch OB servo subs.  I expect he'll post about it soon.

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2020, 09:26 pm »
thanks,
drmike
[/q
We've got  flat packs available.  Crossover parts   are in stock   via Danny   and  he's got a new  lower section that matches the upper section ,  just needs  testing.  Hoping  we all hear some good news usoon on  replacements for Neo10's.

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2020, 09:50 pm »
Tyson,
Were the OB V-frames below the planars 8" servo subs?  Was that what you used for subs?

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2020, 11:40 pm »
Tyson,
Were the OB V-frames below the planars 8" servo subs?  Was that what you used for subs?

We used the triple stack OB H-Frames for subs.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2020, 12:21 am »
Thanks!   :D

pslate

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2020, 12:29 am »
How might the super mini compare to your Forte III Tyson? Also, a GR type of Cornscala could intriguing. GR OB bass & horn :P. That said I’m sure pure GR is the way to go.

Paul

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2020, 12:41 am »
We've got flat packs available.  Crossover parts are in stock via Danny and  he's got a new lower section that matches the upper section, just needs testing.  Hoping we all hear some good news soon on replacements for Neo10's.

That is very good news!  :thumb:

Tempting - I might even be able to assemble the kit.  :lol:

Tyson

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2020, 12:51 am »
How might the super mini compare to your Forte III Tyson? Also, a GR type of Cornscala could intriguing. GR OB bass & horn :P. That said I’m sure pure GR is the way to go.

Paul

Oh make no mistake, the Forte's, even upgraded, are not in the same class as the Super Mini.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2020, 12:55 am »
The 8" OB sub drivers are still available? [For some reason, I had thought they were no longer available.]

Thanks for the reviews, Tyson!

Michael

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2020, 12:56 am »
That is very good news!  :thumb:

Tempting - I might even be able to assemble the kit.  :lol:

Have a pair  sitting on the  shelf waiting for you    :thumb:

Micheal,     Danny is out of stock on them but,  I think he is working on another  run

jay

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2020, 01:14 am »
Have a pair  sitting on the  shelf waiting for you    :thumb:

A working up and running pair or a complete kit?