Is a Fluke 101 good enough for audio circuit testing?

drphoto

I just ordered a Fluke 101, the only model made in China. Only $43. I know good enough for testing continuity, like to make sure my speaker cable build is correct, but somewhere down the road I want to build the a Dynaco clone kit from Tubes4Hifi. It can test capacitance, but can't do current. Is that important. I've seen that some recommend a Bremen that is about $150. Worth it?  The USA made Flukes are crazy money. Thanks

richidoo

Re: Is a Fluke 101 good enough for audio circuit testing?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2024, 10:14 pm »
The need to measure current is rare in this hobby, unless you are electronics designer or repairman.
A well-designed tube amp kit will make use of a bias resistor which allows you to set bias current by voltage. Your Fluke is good enough until you need more, then upgrade!

My multimeter is made by Extech (chinese) model 22-816 from about 15 years ago, now discontinued. It is accurate and tough, and also measures temperature with included thermocouple. The current Extech model EX410A seems to be roughly equivalent for $53 on amzn. 

Good luck with your amp project!!  :thumb:

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2024, 11:18 pm »
Rich.....appreciate the response. Glad to hear it is 'good enough'.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2024, 03:02 pm »
While the Fluke 101 has low voltage AC ranges, its frequency response is very limited.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2024, 08:35 pm »
I decided to return this and order the extech as rich mentioned, as it's on $10 more and more capable. Thanks guys. This DIY stuff is fun. When I go for an 'end game' system, prolly build X-oticas. Those ones I saw w/ the copper painted baffles look fantastic too.