My next N-3 project with only a jigsaw!

face

Re: My next N-3 project with only a jigsaw!
« Reply #40 on: 26 Nov 2010, 10:48 pm »
Hi Eleven.
I saw that it's also available from Home depot, I have some relatives coming to Vietnam, they could bring one or two with them.
Thanks.
Guy 13
Have them bring you a decent plunge router, it's one of the most useful tools for woodworking. 

Guy 13

« Reply #41 on: 27 Nov 2010, 01:14 am »
Have them bring you a decent plunge router, it's one of the most useful tools for woodworking.
Hi Face.
Something that you do not know is that the relatives that will bring me from the US some small stuff are the in laws of my wife's nephew, therefore, not direct relatives and like many Vietnamese that comes to visit their family here in Vietnam, they brings tons of stuff for their familiy first, then after, for other people,  asking them to bring me a router in their luggages would be asking them too much (It's big and heavy).
I will get that router, I am working on that right now.
Early next year, three direct relatives of my own family will come to Vietnam, I rely on them to bring me what I need for my future wood projects.
I am still trying to figure out what type of bits I need for building the N3? Anyone can help me with that?
Guy 13   

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #42 on: 27 Nov 2010, 01:48 am »
  You will need a 1/4 inch( that is diameter) straight bit and a 3/8 inch quarter round bit.  You can often pick up kits with many bits for $20. 

I answered that already... :nono:

Guy 13

« Reply #43 on: 27 Nov 2010, 05:51 am »
I answered that already... :nono:
Hi Eleven.
I think what happened is called: Absent minded.
Sorry about that.
I went shopping or should I write: Window licking on Home Depot website and found the following, please tell me if this is what I should get/buy?
Make: Diablo
Model: DR04108
Desc.: 1/4" X 1" Carbide straight
Price: 15.97 USD/each
Make: Diablo
Model: - - -
Desc.: 3/8" Carbide Routing over
Price: 36.07 USD/each.
Home Depot also offer some kits with several different bits at very low prices compared to single units.
I guess all the bits from different companies are interchangeable between companies?
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #44 on: 27 Nov 2010, 10:41 am »
Hi to all Audio Circle members that have been following all my (Crazy) projects and welcome to the new members that want to have fun and maybe learn what not to do !...
I read somewhere on the Internet something about improving the sound by lifting the speaker cables off the floor.
It was writen by someone that seems to know what he was talking about. In my opinion, I think many audio accessories like this one are a rip off, but this one, I wanted to do, because I had everything on hands and it would involve only time.
I made those like succers out of dense foam by cutting them with a very sharp kitchen knife, the same type of knife you would use if your mother in law touch your tools or even worst, turn on your amplifier without any speakers connected to it...
Have a look a what I did and I will post my comments tomorrow.
However, all the members that disagree with me and I am sure there plenty of them, well take a number and post your comments, that are all welcome.
See you tomorrow.
Guy 13

Hi Audio Circle members.
I am back.
I have installed the dense foam blocks (See pitures above) under the speaker wires and guess what?
Yep ! No difference what so ever.
The reason is that my floor does not vibrate, because is made of sand, concrete and heavy duty ceramic tiles, therefore, it won't transmit vibrations to the speaker wires laying on the floor, or is it because I am not an accomplish audiophile and I cannot ear the difference?
Well, maybe both?
Houses in USA and Canada where the floors are supported with 2X10'' beams at 12 or even 16'' center to center, not wonder you have vibration from the speakers...
Don't get me wrong, those little things might be of some use, but not here in Vietnam, where everything is made of thermite proof metarial.
Guy 13
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2010, 05:16 am by Guy 13 »

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #45 on: 27 Nov 2010, 12:43 pm »
please tell me if this is what I should get/buy?

First here is a primer on  routers written by your friends at  Sears.  And one on router bits.
The short version:  generally router bits either have a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch shank.  Less expensive routers come with a 1/4 inch collet (where the shank  fits).  Some routers come with 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch collets.  So yes router bits are interchangeable between companies.

You will need one of these where the radius is 3/8.

To make the driver holes for the recessed tweeter you will need a circle jig.  With that jig this is the required bit: 1/4 inch dia

You could make your own circle jig but for small circles it would be rather difficult.

With a little patience you should be able to find a kit like this that has both bits you require plus many more you might never use.  Canadian Tire has them on sale occasionally...

Guy 13

« Reply #46 on: 27 Nov 2010, 01:57 pm »
Hi Eleven.
Thanks a lot, that's almost a complete course on router and bits.
Lots of information. By the way, Sears is not my friend, just a supplier with an exceptional warranty amd warranty is never free, that's why Sears is a little more expensive. Again, by the way, I rarely go to Canadian Tires, the sales persons are just there to guide you thru the store... Bunch of ignorants.
Again, today I have learned something and tonight I will go to bed less ignorant on routers and bits...
Again, thanks.
Guy 13

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #47 on: 27 Nov 2010, 02:20 pm »
I agree on your points.  I only go to Canadian Tire to pick up an item on sale.  Sears does have good guarantees, however, as I work with my tools, I need working tools not guarantees and if it breaks I normally don't have time to wait for them to fix it.  I just buy another one...

Guy 13

« Reply #48 on: 28 Nov 2010, 06:08 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Another (Small) project with a budget of 00.00 USD.
I wanted to see if an home made sub base for my Rega P3 turntable would isolate it from vibration.
If I knock with my hand on the furniture the turntable sit on, I can hear the knock in the speakers. I am quite aware that my Rega P-3 is not my former Linn LP-12.
So, I did a sub base with wood and hardware that was doing nothing in a corner of the house.
My good old Black&Decker jigsaw with a guide made of square aluminum tube.

The finish products, un painted, the round piece of wood is to give extra sturdiness.

Some weights (20 pounds) to make sure the glue does a good job.

For small cutting jobs, I use this old hand saw.

The finished product.

I have used some wood blocks instead of the aluminum round discs, because the disc on the glass top was easy to slip on the glass.

Did the double thickness sub base made a difference?
Well, very little. Probably because it's not very heavy and I have notice that with the Vietnamese style floor, even if you jump beside the turntable you can't hear any noise or vibration. Sand, cement and ceramic is a good combination to isolate floor vibration between audio components.
Well, another fun and instructive experimentation.
If you don't agree, please say so.
You are allowed, permitted to not agree with me or to copmpletely disagree with me.
Guy 13 

Zerogravity

« Reply #49 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:12 pm »
Harborfreight.com has a 1/4 trim router on sale for $24.99! It's not the best thing to use but for the $ as long as you have a good bit, it should work fine!

Hi cOz.
At the time when I spent BIG bucks on my three kits, I had the money and a cabinet maker to make the enclosures for me , since then, I have fired the cabinet maker and I am now on a money diet with only a jigsaw.
Now, I don't know where you can find a 20 USD router, because here in Vietnam, the cheapest one I could find was 40 USD and it's a made in China and it looked so cheap that I am not even sure if it could last for more than one project.
No offense taken. However, what does not make sense to you, can make lots of sense to me. Not everyone is the same, think and behave the same, thank God we are all different and that's what makes it interesteing to live on this planet.
As for the 20 different surfaces, I have alreay figure out a way of doing it, it will take me forever, but I have lots of spare time...
For your information, I find everything I need at Audio Circle: Support, criticisms, advices, sarcasms and more... And who are you to say that I wont find what I want at Audio Circle.
If you don't like my funny and intertaining threads, well, just don't read them.
As a matter of fact, I do enjoy the content of your thread.
When Audio Circle members tell me that I am crazy, I like it, because I know already that I am crazy.
Crazy Guy 13

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #50 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:16 pm »
 :o  A little sandpaper can go a long way...just sayin'

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #51 on: 3 Dec 2010, 09:33 am »
Countersink the tweeter OR raise the woofers ... same difference.
This requires TWO pieces of wood for the front baffle, one regular thickness 3/4" - 1 1/2" and the other, the same thickness as the required setback (0.24 as per online N3 plans).
Look at the online plans for GR's own "Sealed box for a single SW-12-04" ... front baffle A&B
Measure twice and make sawdust ... Shawn

Guy 13

« Reply #52 on: 3 Dec 2010, 10:42 am »
Countersink the tweeter OR raise the woofers ... same difference.
This requires TWO pieces of wood for the front baffle, one regular thickness 3/4" - 1 1/2" and the other, the same thickness as the required setback (0.24 as per online N3 plans).
Look at the online plans for GR's own "Sealed box for a single SW-12-04" ... front baffle A&B
Measure twice and make sawdust ... Shawn
Hi Marvin The Martian from planet ? ? ?
Thanks for the tip, I don't know how come I did not think about that before?
I guess it's because I am not too smart ! (Joke, or is it ?)
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #53 on: 3 Dec 2010, 10:44 am »
Harborfreight.com has a 1/4 trim router on sale for $24.99! It's not the best thing to use but for the $ as long as you have a good bit, it should work fine!
Hi Zerogravity or levitation guy !
Thanks for the tip, however, I think I will wait a little and buy an heavy duty router... As I intend to do more than one GR Reseach project.
Guy 13

Zerogravity

« Reply #54 on: 5 Dec 2010, 04:00 pm »
That's the best idea and opt for a better router. I was just saying for anyone on a low budget, it's available. I am using this and it has and attachment for circle cuts. The only thing is you need to be careful since the motor is little, a sharp good quality bit is imperative. As for me, I am stuck here on planet earth, no levitation for me but hopefully my soul, when the time comes! Best of luck on your projects, you have some interesting ideas.