Game of Thrones Finale

witchdoctor

Game of Thrones Finale
« on: 20 May 2019, 03:02 am »
I am not posting any spoilers, all I can say is I just canceled my HBO subscription. I enjoyed the first 6 1/2 seasons but the show jumped the shark IMO in the middle of season 7. I kept waiting for it to get better and instead just kept getting worse.

Early B.

Re: Game of Thrones Finale
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2019, 03:35 am »
I am not posting any spoilers, all I can say is I just canceled my HBO subscription.

I plan to cancel my HBO subscription tomorrow. Lackluster final episode.

guf

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2019, 06:34 am »
 I freaking loved it. I couldn’t of hoped for a better last season and final episode. The only thing I’m disappointed about is it’s over.

dflee

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2019, 01:42 pm »
Have to say I thought it ended brilliantly.
Something had to give for it to finish. I saw Seinfeld, Sopranos and a few
other stories in that ending with it being basically business as usual but
with different characters. Life goes on.

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2019, 02:28 pm »
I had 3 very easy and simple ‘rewrite’ fixes for second to last ep. that could of helped alot for the people that had issues with it. But I loved the last episode. Very well done.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2019, 03:29 pm »
I hadn't watched GoT all year, subscribed to HBO yesterday and streamed the whole season in 1 day.  Wow, what a ride!  I loved that there was an actual denouement that made sense within the overall context of that world. 

Emil

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2019, 04:13 pm »

Must say I'm gonna miss her. Had a crush on her ever since she had her hair cut short. :lol:
Can only imagine the nasty things she would do to me :whip:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2019, 06:22 pm »
When I saw Stars wars in 1976 all I could think of was......this is gonna change everything.

Happened again when lord of the rings came out.

Now this.......what a world we live in.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2019, 11:25 pm »
I will admit that the character development seemed to fall off a bit the last two seasons once the R.R. Martin material hit an end, and the show also became a bit more sensationalized. I'm not sure I understand the venom out there, though. It didn't feel like THAT much of a departure to me, and from what I understand, it generally followed the same arc(s) that Martin has/had planned for the final two books. Overall I was still very entertained, and the scope of the production was very impressive, IMO. I felt the finale wrapped things up in a satisfying way.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2019, 11:45 pm »
I wish it would have been better, but honestly what else could they have done? Everything built up to this point. There wasn’t much left. Maybe they could have used some writers from episodes I liked more... I really don’t know.

I’m getting dejavu, like this isn’t the first show/series that we’ve talked about ending poorly. I don’t think this one was poor, it just wasn’t as fun/magical as the rest of the series.

Woodsea

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2019, 11:48 pm »
I also plan on Cancelling my subscription.  The final season was rushed, no one can argue this point.  Yes, the Night king had to be defeated in the first major battle...thank you, Bran.  Otherwise the dead arise and now you have even more zombies.  Bran had it all figured out...Westeros' very own Doctor Strange.

I am not cancelling because of GOT per se.  But, because of HBO's https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/03/hbo-ceo-richard-plepler-steps-down-att/583894/ short sided (IMO) long game of competition with the rest of the streaming world.

The ending for me was a virtual masterpiece tying everything up into a nice little bow, with the rushed season 8 in the forefront of my expectations.  Would I have liked a more stately and "No F*ing No Way" season from the accumulation of the past 6-7 seasons...yes. 

Thankfully I did not pick up and read this fantasy series before it aired, so I relied on the original author and then the duo to finish it off.  I love fantasy, I cannot wait for Bezos' Amazon to start streaming WOT-  The Wheel of Time by the brilliant drunken Robert Jordan and finished off by the prodigy Brandon Sanderson.

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2019, 11:54 pm »
For those of you who plan to cancel...you're going to miss what has been an excellent show this far - Chernobyl.
Just saying :)

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2019, 01:42 am »
 :thumb: for Chernobyl

HBO is adapting Margaret Atwood's 'MaddAddam Trilogy', which will be totally bizarre if/when it happens. I read all three books and enjoyed her dystopian vision.

Excellent GoT finale too.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2019, 01:48 am »
I loved GoT, but I like Westworld even better.  Trying to get through the 2nd season before my free week ends.

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2019, 02:00 am »
:thumb: for Chernobyl

Three eps in, and it's the sort of show where I find myself applauding the director. Especially the end of episode 3, which I won't spoil for anyone, it was just beautifully shot. This all went down when I was a kid in the 80s, so seeing it all fleshed out and in context from the Soviet perspective is truly amazing. An excellent show, IMO.

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2019, 03:14 am »
Stopped watching GoT after S2. It’s just pointless T&A with pretense of being fantasy. Nihilistic world building doesn’t seem that compelling to me. Not to Martin either since he obviously can’t finish what he started. Dark ages Skinemax with a big budget. Based on what I’ve read on the finale I didn’t miss anything.

Verhoeven did it better in a few hours with Flesh and Blood.

And frankly Martins obsession with incest and sex bothers me.

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2019, 03:29 am »
I also plan on Cancelling my subscription.  The final season was rushed, no one can argue this point.  Yes, the Night king had to be defeated in the first major battle...thank you, Bran.  Otherwise the dead arise and now you have even more zombies.  Bran had it all figured out...Westeros' very own Doctor Strange.

I am not cancelling because of GOT per se.  But, because of HBO's https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/03/hbo-ceo-richard-plepler-steps-down-att/583894/ short sided (IMO) long game of competition with the rest of the streaming world.

The ending for me was a virtual masterpiece tying everything up into a nice little bow, with the rushed season 8 in the forefront of my expectations.  Would I have liked a more stately and "No F*ing No Way" season from the accumulation of the past 6-7 seasons...yes. 

Thankfully I did not pick up and read this fantasy series before it aired, so I relied on the original author and then the duo to finish it off.  I love fantasy, I cannot wait for Bezos' Amazon to start streaming WOT-  The Wheel of Time by the brilliant drunken Robert Jordan and finished off by the prodigy Brandon Sanderson.

Jordan set the template for fantasy series that never end because the author doesn’t know how to end them and is paid per word. After book 4 or 5 I moved on because he wasn’t even trying. I get it, gotta put food on the table but at the expense of good storytelling. The reviews on Amazon after all these years bear that out.

Unfortunately no one is making a show based on the series that inspired Martin, Memory Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams, which runs circles around GoT in pure craft, world building and storytelling. But alas its only 3 books.

skunark

« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2019, 03:50 am »
I do feel like they could have made one or two more seasons easily, but the last season will always be a flop as the journey is always more exciting than the ending.   I do hope the book is completed and also ends differently.   

I remember reading all sorts of negative reviews about The Sopranos fade to black ending and how bad that season finale was, but USA Today had it as one of the top ten best.   

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2019, 04:06 am »
I do feel like they could have made one or two more seasons easily, but the last season will always be a flop as the journey is always more exciting than the ending.   I do hope the book is completed and also ends differently.   

I remember reading all sorts of negative reviews about The Sopranos fade to black ending and how bad that season finale was, but USA Today had it as one of the top ten best.

My initial reaction to the sopranos ending in real time was "wtf, that's it?"  But then once I picked up on some post-show info and cues, I thought it was brilliant. I just wasn't looking for it at the time. There's actually a LOT of artistry in that finale. Far more than I ever gave it credit for initially.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2019, 05:51 am »
It looked like to me, that they were trying to set up future "new" series with the players who survived..
More of a strategy to create future series..

Yea, and it wasn't very good, but shows never continue to be good,  the longer they last. I think they just stop being able to create well..

:popcorn: