Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2019, 08:02 pm by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth

Endo2112

• Particularist
I'm glad that you were willing to give the Path's a go!! I've enjoyed your resistor thread immensely, very thorough and well written.

Congrats,

Don

Elizabeth

I.Greyhound Fan

I tried the 1 ohm resistor supplied by magnepan  to tone down the tweeter a little in my 1.6's.  I did not like the sound.  I then tried a 1 ohm Mills resistor and it gave a warm sound but the sound stage was smaller.  Although I did not use it for more than 2 hours.   I then switched to a Duelund graphite 1.2ohm and the sound was smoother,  cleaner with  a hint of more transparency and air.  I still use it today

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  The resistor choice depends on ones systems character to begin with. Magnepan allows for attenuation of the tweeter for "brighter" or "hot" systems by allowing a resistor to be tried to tame tweeter.
  My experience on this matter over numerous years of experimentation is that it was NOT the tweeter that needed attention. It was either ones front end or accessories added like power cords or other tonality changing tweaks.
  Yes a resistor is an inexpensive way of so called tuning. My thought is look into what else is causing ones dislike of the tweeter.  What we found setting up numerous Maggie systems were inferior power products like conditioners, PC, IC's and usually the culprit the speaker cable and jumpers.
  With some systems though few the resistor was ALL the Doctor ordered. Not an easy task but fun along the path to Nirvana. Enjoys your journey and look in the right place.

charles