Toe in

Jprod

Toe in
« on: 11 May 2019, 02:03 pm »
Hello.  I just received the m3 turbo s and was wondering if the majority have stuck with the 22° toe in recommendation?  If not what did you end up using ?
Thanks

Wind Chaser

Re: Toe in
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2019, 05:24 pm »
22° toe in recommendation?

I don’t know where that recommendation comes from, but IMO the angle you want isn’t some arbitrary number so much as to have the speakers on axis - pointed directly right at you. So the angle depends on...

A) how far apart the speakers are from each other and
B) the distance of the speakers to your ears

My speakers are spread 12’ apart and the distance to my ears is a bit more than 8’. Thus the angle from one speaker to me back to the other speaker works out to about 90°. That gives me nice wide soundstage. If I followed the 22° toe in recommendation, then my speakers would be way off axis.  :nono:

Jprod

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2019, 06:06 pm »
Thanks for responding.  It came from the user manual provided by Clayton Shaw

James Edward

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2019, 09:53 pm »
My house is currently in disarray, so I can’t find them offhand, but I’m virtually certain that recommendation  comes from Spatial in the setup manual.
More to come tomorrow when I find my tape measure and compass.
This is actually something I’ve been meaning to experiment with...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2019, 10:52 pm »
A PDF manual is available online. It states... “Intially, (sic) set up both speakers at 30" distance from front wall and toe in to where the speakers are angled in roughly 22 degrees (horizontal design axis) using a tape measure. Listen for an hour or so to get a baseline for how they sound.”

This is merely a general guideline for initial setup of a far field arrangement  It also says to increase the toe in angle (to no specific value) for a near field arrangement. In other words don’t worry / fuss over the exact angle. This isn’t religious dogma “thou shalt” adhere to, but just a basic guideline for a particular arrangement, assuming there may be those who need it.

Myself, I have always preferred to do everything by ear without a tape measure, calculator, or protractor etc. I have a nonlinear room so that stuff wouldn’t help anyhow. The most important thing is to position them on axis; experiment with the positioning and push them hard for a few hundred hours so as to brake them in.

harley.guy07

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2019, 02:51 am »
I also agree with above, The toe in is really a matter of how your room is, how far away from the boundaries of the walls the speakers are and also and most importantly your tastes on how you like your image/soundstage to sound. The great thing about these speakers is that they do not have the room issues that box speakers have and that is a great thing, The only thing i would use the measurement tools for is to make sure that both speakers are measured equal in all aspects from the listening position. I have listened to My M3 T's in many different arrangements and have settled on 3' from the back walls because that is as far as I can go with my room, and toed in so that they are slightly off direct to my ears as the have the perfect balance of soundstage width and imaging precision. In this arrangement they are among the best I have heard and the most satisfying speakers that I have owned and especially considering I did not have to take out a mortgage to be able to afford them!

Jprod

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2019, 03:16 am »
"off direct to my ears" meaning ?

ric

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2019, 02:10 pm »
I have mine toed in toward the listener so that you can just see about a quarter inch of the (outer) side of the frame from the listening position. Sometimes the room dictates what you can and can't do, but in mine, about 3' from the back wall and 3.5' from the side wall.
The other thing to do is be patient. Set them up, listen for a few days, then adjust them. I think it takes a while for your ears to adjust.
Good luck and enjoy!

harley.guy07

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2019, 10:56 pm »
"off direct to my ears" meaning ?

Sorry what i meant by this was that the speakers are toed in so that the do not directly fire on axis to my ears but very slightly off axis, i have found in my room if i toe them in to right before being on axis i get the best combination of pinpoint imaging and wide soundstage.