Spatial Audio X3 Speakers

Bpack

Spatial Audio X3 Speakers
« on: 14 Sep 2019, 01:31 am »
Hi Spatial....or Clayton. I’m a new member so forgive me. Anyhow, I’ve been following the evolution of Spatial speakers for some time and am VERY interested in the OB concept. This goes back to the days of
Dahlquist dq-10’s. The X-3’s could be the last set speaker’s I dive into. I’m not an audiophile but do want the whole package, which means HT is also important. Therefore, what can be recommended for possible ceiling speakers, sides, surrounds and subs to FILL a home with a Spatial X-3 system. Any thoughts are welcome
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2019, 06:22 pm by Bpack »

abhijitnath

Re: Spatial Audio X3 Seakers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2019, 08:04 am »
I dont have X3s, but I do have M3s & M1s in a 4.0 setup at the moment. I'm going to get 4 SVS Prime Elevations for Atmos duties, and that's it. Others can chime in on subs.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2019, 11:16 am »
I have X3s, but in a two channel setting only. I don't do HT.

I can say the X3s fill my 15.5 x 26 ft room effortlessly. This is one of, if not the best, speakers I have had in my room.

Shakey

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2019, 04:31 pm »
I can’t imagine anything in the way of ceiling, sides, surrounds or subs that would be complimentary to the X-3.

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2019, 04:32 pm »
Shakeydeal - How is the mid-range? Vocals?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2019, 04:42 pm »
The midrange is open and full. Vocals are very lifelike, if the recording permits. No glare or sharpness, just natural sound.

Shakey

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2019, 04:54 pm »
 :thumb: Shakey

My apologies to the OP for momentarily sliding off-topic.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2019, 05:29 pm »
  I say X3 seakers should buy X3 speakers. Correct the heading  :)

charles

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2019, 05:44 pm »
I'll chime in even though I'm talking out of my ass.... I think finding a perfect match for using X3 or X5's in a HT will be difficult unless you have a big room or acoustically transparent screen that can accomodate an OB speaker as a center channel and as surrounds. I'm assuming you don't have such a space. If you do, bless you and ignore everything I'll say and just see if you can buy 5 X-series speakers and you're good to go. However, if you don't have such a space I would just focus on finding a center and surrounds that sound "similar". I've used mismatched speakers in my "theater room" for years, even matching a different center channel from the front mains, and for home theater I don't think it makes a huge difference. When I say "similar" I mean that I would try and find a speaker with similar dynamics, similar tweeter type, and similar efficiencies so that they present the amp a similar load. If you have a processor with room correction it will help balance different speakers somewhat so that should help. So, for these speakers I would try and find something with a ribbon style tweeter that is fairly efficient. I think a good budget match may be the Emotiva C2, if you can find one. It's a big center with an AMT tweeter. It isn't nearly as high fidelity as the X-series Spatials, but for movies and tv its pretty good. Another option is to just forget the center and use a phantom center. The imaging of the Spatials is good enough to create a center image and the money not spent could be used for better subs. Or, you can contact someone like Selah audio to possible make something custom that they think would match. For surrounds I tend to not spend a lot. I'd look at the Emotiva surrounds which again use an AMT tweeter. Another option is something like PSA Audio speakers, which could also maybe work for the center channel. Those are high efficiency and dynamic. For subs, I'd look for something fast. To me the best out there are Rythmiks. Take your pick. If Spatial creates a sub that would obviously be an option as well. Anyway, just my thoughts for what they're worth.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2019, 06:08 pm »
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but let's keep things in perspective. It's just home theater. Not that important. Most speakers are pretty good with dinosaur stomps, car crashes, and things blowing up.  :duh:

Just kidding........sort of.........

dflee

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2019, 06:43 pm »
Disclaimer: I have not heard the X3.
I have been told by (quote experts) that a good two channel that will fill a room
is better than a decent surround system. My stereo has the cable running through it
and dvd connected through the dac for audio duty and both my wife and I hear things
all around us. I think the visual helps to hear things that you might not if you didn't have it.
I can say the phantom center channel does work well. Try just the stereo first and you might not
be in a hurry for surround.
Just my .02

Don

Don_S

« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2019, 06:57 pm »
Disclaimer: I have not heard the X3.
I have been told by (quote experts) that a good two channel that will fill a room
is better than a decent surround system. My stereo has the cable running through it
and dvd connected through the dac for audio duty and both my wife and I hear things
all around us. I think the visual helps to hear things that you might not if you didn't have it.
I can say the phantom center channel does work well. Try just the stereo first and you might not
be in a hurry for surround.
Just my .02

Don

I also run my video through my main 2-channel system with one difference. I have a center channel to help with dialog. Or at least it is supposed to help. I am having difficulty getting video formats to decode into satisfactory 2+center format. But I don't want to derail this thread. Just another vote for building the best 2-channel system. I prefer well placed stereo versus 5 or more misplaced, mismatched speakers.  I don't miss a thing on explosions, gunfire, and car crashes. How often is someone surrounded by cars crashing?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2019, 08:51 pm »
+1 with the Don’s!  :thumb:

Bpack

Re: Spatial Audio X3 Speakers
« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2019, 09:53 pm »
Thanks all for the input. And I apologize for the “seakers”! I agree with the phantom center approach and definitely want to maintain a OB consistency. And, was considering X3’s up front and M4’s as sides and surrounds. The room to fill is a combo great room, kitchen and dining. About 15,000 cu/ft. Ceilings would ONLY be for a Dolby Atmos possibility. Thanks again everyone.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2019, 06:21 pm by Bpack »

vondy

« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2019, 08:25 pm »
Clayton had mentioned not too long ago about introducing a sub next year. There is also a post where he talks about a center channel, found a pic on the anticabels website.

With as little sound that comes out of surrounds I would personally not throw too much money at them. For ceiling atmos speakers I have no idea.

Guess if he ever sells the center channel they could be used for surrounds and ceilings, would get pricey fast though.

Bpack

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2019, 03:24 am »
Thanks Vondy. I’ve seen that pic before but couldn’t find it to post. 👍🏼