Anyone Live around the Poulsbo/Bremerton area?

musiccritic5088

Anyone Live around the Poulsbo/Bremerton area?
« on: 21 Feb 2021, 06:19 pm »
Hi my name is James and I’m looking for some people to help me with building a pair of speakers. I have no equipment and all the shops in the area are closed. I live in the Bremerton to Poulsbo area and would be willing to drive about an hour out to meet up. You don’t have to let me use your equipment but even if you could teach me about how I could go about making speaker, that would be helpful enough!
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2021, 01:50 am by musiccritic5088 »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Anyone Love around the Poulsbo/Bremerton area?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2021, 08:36 pm »
If you can’t find anyone local to help, another option is to go with a speaker model that has a flatpack available. That way all the cutting is done and you just have to glue it up and finish it

Barryg443

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2021, 11:16 pm »
Hi James,

The flatpack is a great option.  If you don’t see a flat pack for your interested model, Killian, can probably make one of the flat packs for you.  Danny told me in an email that Killian can make cabinets for anything in the GR lineup. Killian works for Danny, and makes many of flat packs GR Research offers on the website.

Barry

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2021, 12:53 am »
https://www.gr-research.com/flatpacks.html

Looks like one can also purchased assembled, unfinished X-LS cabinets. Danny has a multipart youtube series on building this speaker.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2021, 01:16 am »
Ill also second the idea of getting a flatpack from Killian!
I've got one of his first preassembled XLS kits, and I'm in the process of assembling a single X-Statik flatpack from him as well, just awaiting the crossovers, drivers & norez before I finish assembly of the cabinet.

It's been a great learning process, esp learning to use the tools I've begun collecting like router, clamps & others.

And if you need help with the crossovers, feel free to call Danny directly, or ask anyone here and we can guide you thru the assembly process.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2021, 05:07 am »
Last time I checked, Captainhemo was still cutting all the subs and the NX series flatpacks, and he's near Vancouver.

Don

Kazoom

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2021, 06:51 am »
Hi James,

Over on Bainbridge Island there is a group called "BARN" (Bainbridge Island Artisan Resource Network).  They offer classes that can help and a provide a well outfitted shop to their members.  I know a few folks involved with that group whose work is absolutely world class, so quality help and advice are plentiful.

I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on some NX-Treme's and if I decide to veneer the flat packs myself, that is where I will go.

Mr. Captain Hemo is not very far away.  When I bought my subs, I just drove up there and picked them up.  I prefer to avoid shipping companies when it comes to audio gear.

musiccritic5088

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2021, 01:53 am »
Hi James,

Over on Bainbridge Island there is a group called "BARN" (Bainbridge Island Artisan Resource Network).  They offer classes that can help and a provide a well outfitted shop to their members.  I know a few folks involved with that group whose work is absolutely world class, so quality help and advice are plentiful.

I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on some NX-Treme's and if I decide to veneer the flat packs myself, that is where I will go.

Mr. Captain Hemo is not very far away.  When I bought my subs, I just drove up there and picked them up.  I prefer to avoid shipping companies when it comes to audio gear.

Thanks! I’m trying to build a pair of speakers from scratch, so that’s why I can’t just buy a flat pack. I know that using a flat pack would be easier, but I never liked going the easy route!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2021, 03:43 am »
Thanks! I’m trying to build a pair of speakers from scratch, so that’s why I can’t just buy a flat pack. I know that using a flat pack would be easier, but I never liked going the easy route!

Yep, you're an audiophile, all right! :P