Hello and questions

Dsollars1800

Hello and questions
« on: 25 Feb 2021, 06:07 am »
Hello everyone, I am new posting here, although I have been lurking for several months.

I am thinking about building the XLS Encore bookshelfs as opposed to buying new.   All the  videos have convinced me it is easier than the model railroading I have been doing the last several years.  Looks like fun.

My dilemma is this.   My listening room is my home office, a 11x12x10 tall with doors, windows, etc.  I have a large desk, other furniture, lazyboy recliner.  Over the last year I have experimented with speakers, stands, and have arrived upon a compromise solution where the speakers are bracket mounted up on the wall, about 6 inches from the wall, and then angled down so they are pointed at me.   The sound stage is rather interesting, kinda like being in the first row at a concert with musicians up higher on the stage.  In any case, it works.  The current speakers have a rear port, and I have gone back and forth plugging and unplugging, and not sure it makes any difference.   It is always a compromise of something.

So, (1) what has been your experience with wall-mounting the XLS speakers, if any?

(2) What does a painted, No-Rez, finished MDF XLS Encore speaker typically weigh? 

Thanks so much for any help.  David

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Hello and questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2021, 02:28 pm »
Welcome to AC!  :thumb:

You're going to love the XLS, they're a killer speaker!

I just weighed one of mine, and it's roughly 20lbs/9kg, tho I've never tried wall mounting since they usually sit on my desk, or on stands when I'm listening more intently in the living room, since I can get them 6-7 feet into the room for some excellent soundstage and imaging.

roscoe65

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2021, 02:58 pm »
I own a pair of XLS Encores.  The bookshelf cabinet is suboptimal for a ported alignment, by Danny’s own admission.  When I use them close to the rear wall (<2 ft) I stuff the ports with a pair of socks.  The bass boom is greatly reduced.  Corner loading the speakers would certainly do better with the ports plugged.

In your application, I would also seriously consider significant room treatment.  You are essentially soffit-mounting speakers in a tiny control room.  The folks over at the GIK circle can offer some great advice.

I would also consider using one or more small (8”) subs in this room to even out the bass.  You can move them around to. Balance out nulls from room nodes you may have.

More advice is to either order the upgrades from the outset or order the crossover upgrade parts when you order the speaker.  You will definitely want the upgraded version.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2021, 03:15 pm »
Hi David. My guess is you're concerned about weight limit on brackets?

As Hobbs pointed out, an MDF X-LS weighs in around 20 lbs. all in. The MDF I use is a smidgen heavier and will bring that closer to 21 lbs. Baltic Birch will save about 4 lbs. all else being equal.

I've not wall mounted X-LSs, but do have a pair of rear ported AV-2s in my shop angled down into room close to ceiling. It is a much bigger room with a bunch of hard reflective surfaces. The bass is certainly reinforced, which in my case is a good thing. In your case, it might get boomy or bloated, but the only way to know is to try it with and without port plug. Some will depend on listening volume, as our ears/brain attenuate low frequencies at lower volume.

I imagine you'd like X-LS and would encourage you to give building a go. But that may be my own bias as I'm fully on board the mindset, for better or worse...

Dsollars1800

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2021, 04:31 am »
Thanks for your reply.   I played around with different brackets before settling in on ones by Rockville Audio.  The current Axiom M3 comes in  at a little less than 14lbs, but for a while I had some old Polks that weight 18 lbs each.   I will probably add a another layer of support since, of course, the studs in the wall don’t match where I want the speakers to be, so I have to be creative with dry-wall anchors.

Dsollars1800

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2021, 04:34 am »
And yes, I will go full upgrade on the crossover components.   Thanks again everyone.

nickd

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2021, 06:06 pm »
For the record, I own and use X-LS in one system and two designs from a Danny in 2 other systems. There is no one on this board who respects his design talent more than me. The X-LS are really amazing for the money. In your application however, I might recommend considering https://lyngdorf.steinwaylyngdorf.com/lyngdorf-mh-2/

The MH-2’s are a fair value (better if you can find them used or open box). Danny could assist with an upgrade to crossover parts, hook up wire etc. if you really want to make them sing.

I think you will still want a good sub. I use Danny’s servo 12’s, but the Lyngdorf sub might be OK too in your application. Wall mount speakers have surprising bass if designed to utilize the room gain. The X-LS will likely sound a bit fat in the lower octave if not placed correctly. DSP room correction would be recommended if placement is not ideal. Good DSP can adjust for the wall loading but adds expense.

By the way, correctly done wall mounts will image beyond your expectations. It’s all about design and implementation.

Just my opinion. I’ve been fortunate enough to play with many designs over the years.