I think (I know) I'm going to kill myself

Mightyburner

I think (I know) I'm going to kill myself
« on: 4 Nov 2007, 03:01 am »
I just took delivery of a pair of used HT-1's and disaster has already struck. Too anxious to wait 2 weeks for new Skylan speaker stands, at the suggestion of a friend I borrowed his Mapleshade Bedrock stands and BOOM,,,one of the speakers tipped over and was scratched by my audio rack.   :cry:  Three scratches to be exact of which one is at least two inches long and fairly deep.  I could cry.  Today was the first day I had them set up and I was really starting to groove.  I going to get seriously drunk now and ponder my life of pain.   :banghead:

Bigfish

Re: I think (I know) I'm going to kill myself
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2007, 03:13 am »
I just took delivery of a pair of used HT-1's and disaster has already struck. Too anxious to wait 2 weeks for new Skylan speaker stands, at the suggestion of a friend I borrowed his Mapleshade Bedrock stands and BOOM,,,one of the speakers tipped over and was scratched by my audio rack.   :cry:  Three scratches to be exact of which one is at least two inches long and fairly deep.  I could cry.  Today was the first day I had them set up and I was really starting to groove.  I going to get seriously drunk now and ponder my life of pain.   :banghead:

I cringed when I read your thread.  That is a real bummer!

Ken

nathanm

I wanna see what the papers say on the state of teenage blues
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2007, 04:46 am »
Gee, a three legged stand on little pointy feet on top of another three legged stand with little pointy feet; I can't imagine why such a stable design would tip over!  :P  No but seriously look at the bright side, normally you have to pay a shipping carrier to do such customizations for you.  And besides, they've got character now, a battle scar story to tell!  And hey, they're already broken in! :thumb:

denjo

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2007, 09:44 am »
A good woodsmith will be able to fill up and re-varnish the scratch! Once done, it will be as good as new! Fortunately, the scratch has no effect on the sound of the speakers. I know how you feel but with time it will be alright; time has a way with things, it always has!

Meanwhile, enjoy the music - life's other soothing balm!

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2007, 12:54 pm »
Mightyburner -

This is not the major problem you might expect it to be.  I bet we could fix it and make it look brand new.  You would be without a pair for a while, but if you want to ship it to us, we'll take care of it.

- Jim

Mightyburner

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2007, 02:33 pm »
I drank enough wine to anesthetize a bull elephant and have the hangover to prove it but it's nothing compare to the pain I felt when I went back in my living room this morning.   :bawl:

nathnm - Your kind comments are soothing.  On a serious note, that's what I get for being wanting to hear the speakers immediately rather than wait for the proper stands. They need to be outlawed. 

Dehjo - An excellent idea. 

JSalk - As soon as I get some $$$, I'll ship them to you.   :bowdown:

BrianM - My speakers were purchased used off of Audiogon.  Jim knew this several days ago and sent me several email offering advise. Right now Jim is just being really nice.  He doesn't have to do or offer anything but as you pointed out this is the type of service he offers.   I got the HT-1's merely to demo them.  My plan was/is to give them an extensive in-home demo and provided I like them (I already do) purchase some HT-3's from Jim and either put the HT-1's in my bedroom or sell them.

fsimms

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2007, 03:14 pm »
[quoteMy plan was/is to give them an extensive in-home demo and provided I like them (I already do) purchase some HT-3's from Jim and either put the HT-1's in my bedroom or sell them.][/quote]

Jim has a fantastic trade in policy when upgrading from HT-1's to HT-3's. Of course with the deep gashes he can't give full price for them but he may be able to make you a good deal.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2007, 08:08 pm »
rest easy

one of my HT3's had a major shippers 'customized dent' on the upper corner

I drove the speakers up to Jim in Michigan in June

and he did his magic on them

unless you knew they were dented in, you would never know

speaks volumes for Jim's work and re-work

Tom

Sparks

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2007, 02:43 am »
Mightyburner.
We all feel your pain.
At least the damage is only skin deep.
I have HT2s with Skylan stands and they are rock solid.
I predict you'll be very happy with them and Noel is great guy.
I looked at the MapleShade stands, hmmm. No thanks.
The config looks precarious to say the least.

saisunil

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2007, 04:10 am »
 :( I feel your pain. Some of the responses really make be Laugh. Jim's response was like a balm.

This is a good audio community.

It makes me smile, though I carry my own scars of blown woofers, speaker cabinet scratches etc.

All the best. May be Jim will make you a nice deal for HT3s  :wink:

Cheers
Sunil.