Another NX-Studio and Servo Sub build

coot1957

Another NX-Studio and Servo Sub build
« on: 9 Mar 2021, 11:45 pm »
As I wait for the flatpacks and kits to arrive I have a few questions regarding the build.
Is it necessary to seal the inside of the cabinets knowing they are going to be lined with No Rez?
What is the easiest way to install the No Rez pieces? It seems challenging to install all of the pieces accurately once the cabinet is completed.
In the mean time I am working on the speaker stands.
Thank you,
Mark

Sonicjoy

Re: Another NX-Studio and Servo Sub build
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2021, 02:59 pm »
Hi coot1957

Yes it's always a good idea to seal both sides of any wood panels. It prevents one side from absorbing moisture from the air which can cause the board to warp.

The Norez does not have to be pretty, and if its easier you can use smaller pieces. You can make them smaller by a bit, so they are easier to install.

You will love the Studios I predict.  :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2021, 03:20 pm »
Yep! Like SonicJoy mentioned its always a good idea.
I've been using Zinner "Seal Coat" dewaxed shellac. On both my NX Studios & X-Statik.

coot1957

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2021, 11:54 pm »
Thank you for the follow ups and the tip on the Zinsser product. I found a Q and A on the net that explains why the shellac needs to be dewaxed:
Q:
Is there any difference in the sealing properties of Zinsser’s SealCoat (dewaxed shellac) and regular Bulls Eye shellac? I have had trouble finding SealCoat. Can I use regular shellac as a sealer instead?
A:
Both of these products seal the wood equally well, but some finishes won’t stick to regular shellac. Both amber and clear Bulls Eye shellac have a natural waxy substance that interferes with the adhesion of oil-based polyurethane and water-based finishes. To address that problem, Zinsser created SealCoat, a dewaxed shellac, meaning it has the wax removed. That’s why you see SealCoat advertised as a “Universal Sanding Sealer” on the can.

coot1957

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2021, 05:03 pm »
A few images of the progress to far. The previous posts regarding the NX-Studios builds have been a big help! Thank you.

The flatpack arrived well packed.

Great fit up. I left the bottoms off to make the Norez installation easier.

Norez fitted with the paper backing still on.

Art and Crafts/Mission style speaker stands to match the rest of the furniture.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2021, 02:14 am »
Very cool! Those are looking great! Love the stands.

Fltguy

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2021, 06:00 pm »
Excellent!

What is your plan for finishing?
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2021, 05:41 pm by Fltguy »

coot1957

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2021, 10:20 pm »
You are going to find assembling the NX-Studios from Jay relativity easy if you have done any sort of woodworking. If there was any design flaws in the earlier flatpack versions they have been worked out. The dry clamp fit up without the bottoms in were square and true. That is why I decided to leave the bottoms off for now. It also makes getting the Norez in a lot easier. Peter has a video on the assembly process that is helpful.
Regarding the finish the plan is to veneer the top, sides and back with quarter sawn white oak. I am going to do some test samples to see if the veneer over the sanding sealer can accept the oil base stains I use to get the desired color. The grill will be covered with brown material. The front will be painted with a satin black lacquer.
Keep us posted on your project.

coot1957

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2021, 03:52 pm »
A few more images of the progress:

Another Norez shot.

Stands with floor spikes.

Quartered Sawn White Oak veneer installed and finished. The face will be painted black.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2021, 03:58 pm »
Just fyi, you should cover/obscure the values of any crossover parts when posting pictures.  :thumb:

coot1957

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2021, 04:08 pm »
Thank you. Rookie mistake! I will try to delete the posts.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2021, 04:14 pm »
Thank you. Rookie mistake! I will try to delete the posts.

You dont need to delete the post, just edit the post and remove the pictures until you can take new ones!  :thumb:

coot1957

« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2021, 11:41 pm »
A few more images:

A crossover view.

And another

Servo Sub Kit No 2 final assemble.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 2 Apr 2021, 12:13 am »
Very nice! Thats a super clean crossover board! :thumb:

Also, thats some gorgeous veneer youre using!

Excited to see the final product!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #14 on: 2 Apr 2021, 03:11 am »
Ya looking good! Don't see oak used much these days. Will tie in nicely with your other furniture.

Fltguy

« Reply #15 on: 2 Apr 2021, 02:03 pm »
Can you post a photo or two of the top of your speaker. I want to know if it's painted or veneered?

What did you do for the bottom?

:popcorn:

coot1957

« Reply #16 on: 2 Apr 2021, 02:29 pm »
Thank you for the positive comments.
The crossover layout is probably the result of years of restoring vintage military tube radios. The technique Danny uses for assembling the crossovers the old timers would call "breadboard".
I have been slowly replacing the furniture in the living area with traditional Arts and Crafts pieces from the early 1900s. White Oak was used extensively during that era. I am not a big veneer guy so I had to watch a lot of videos on how to install it.
Question - What type of feet/spikes would you recommend for the Servo Sub 2 enclosures?
Mark

mkrawcz

« Reply #17 on: 2 Apr 2021, 02:37 pm »
Make sure you have at least 1in clearance between the round off of the woofer hole and the norez.

coot1957

« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2021, 03:03 pm »
Fltguy,
The top lip where the cover goes was edge banded with White Oak veneer. Prior to the placement of the veneer the whole case was sealed with sanding sealer as recommended by others. The bottom of the top baffle (if that's the right term) will be lined with Norez and the sides will be lined with felt as recommended by Danny.
The bottom is still off and will not be veneered since it has the same footprint as the top of the speaker stand. I'm toying with the idea of just screwing the bottom in since the fit is so tight and the Norez will seal the perimeter. Also, the speaker case will be bolted to the speaker stand. That way I have another way of access the crossover if needed. I don't think that will be a problem, but others would know.
Mark

coot1957

« Reply #19 on: 2 Apr 2021, 03:05 pm »
Thank you mkrawcz. I did not know!